Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That's the one I have, because it was the ONLY one recommended by both JSCAN and AlfaOBD for the JL/JT Jeeps.
Exactly, and I have both.

jbretthorton

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Program Manager
Im using this guy, as I had it left over from my Z06, works perfectly
Jeep Gladiator JScan Help OBD-Link-LX-1

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The differences between, say just for example, the MX+ like shown and some others is SPEED.
I tend to get deeper into things - I'm snoopy and "research" and experiment. That's me, always have been that way my whole career as a mechanic, or dabbling in electric.
I was actually told by one of the softwares that it couldn't access a module I was trying to get to with the adapter I had and needed x, y or z adapter. I can't recall if it was JCSAN or AlfaOBD telling me that now, however.
For most people, the top of the line won't matter.
I've found I always regret not getting the better version of something.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense to buy once, it may be 4 or 5x more than the Veepeak that I posted but if you're planning to do more with it and it's recommended, then not a bad option at all. For the basic stuff I've gone in to do, the cheaper Veepeak one does the trick, and has good reviews to back it up.

I've got an HPTuner already at $400 that I can dig in deeper with so I didn't really want to spent a lot on a quicker bluetooth solution to set a couple things like tire size.

Good to have options.

Either way, I can't really say I support the Tazer fully. But that's kind of another topic.

OP
OP
kennyp

kennyp

First Name
kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Extrusion team Lead
The differences between, say just for example, the MX+ like shown and some others is SPEED.
I tend to get deeper into things - I'm snoopy and "research" and experiment. That's me, always have been that way my whole career as a mechanic, or dabbling in electric.
I was actually told by one of the softwares that it couldn't access a module I was trying to get to with the adapter I had and needed x, y or z adapter. I can't recall if it was JCSAN or AlfaOBD telling me that now, however.
For most people, the top of the line won't matter.
I've found I always regret not getting the better version of something.
Thanks, I am only wanting to adjust tire pressure

Sponsored

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Not really, when it comes down to making configuration changes.
The only advantage that the MX+ has on most other interfaces is that it is capable of automatically switching bus pins internally, so it can connect to, and diagnose, all of the modules on the vehicle without the “blue adapter”.
All of the interfaces use pins 6&14 on the OBD port (which is canbus c). Some of the modules on the vehicle are on the IHS bus, which would be pins 3&11. Most devices can’t connect to those pins automatically, so they need an adapter that move the wires on the OBD port from positions 3&11 over to 6&14.

Since the BCM is connected to on the can C bus, and that’s where all the configuration changes are made, the cheaper interfaces will work just fine. Now, if you’re using a $20 BAFX in a long session, like manually configuring the whole BCM on the bench, then you might get an idle status from the interface once in a while.
But, with the cheaper ones, they can’t connect to IHS bus modules. So you couldn’t diagnose issues with modules such as the radio, amp, door modules, CVPM, hvac, integrated center stack, heated seats, and blind spot monitoring.

On another note, I’ve found an alternative to recommend for the MX+, since its price has been running away for the last couple of years. I’ve been use a vLinker MC+ for my bench setup for the last few months, and I can’t tell any difference performance-wise between the two. It’s pretty much an MX+ clone, but only $60.
Jeep Gladiator JScan Help F4AE0F07-C617-41F3-9554-3AC0A4E2BA03

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One of the apps talked of speed as well - it wasn't able to write quickly enough. It's in their documentation.
Then I ran into "cannot access......................... " and it said to use the MX+ to get there.
So I got an error with the first adapter I bought.

Here is one snippet from AlfaOBD -
As the OBDLink interfaces have high communication speed they are especially recommended for the Body computer configuration adjustment and odometer correction on Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep vehicles.

I did run into issues trying to write changes to my 2020 with the first OBD adapter I bought - had to try twice. Was told speed was the issue.

The adapters are mentioned as possibly being needed for some of the interfaces. The MX+ has connections to anything needed for Jeep/RAM, etc.

In the end, if it works, use it. I got tired of having to retry multiple times or lack of access to certain things with AlfaOBD. They do things differently than JSCAN. And I've noticed JSCAN can be painfully slow when trying to do configuration dumps - when gathering all info. Takes forever. AlfaOBD is there quickly.
But it won't work to access what I want with the 2022 model years.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Did you have to buy the cables also or did it work by just plugging i in?
You have to buy the bypass cable no matter which programmer you use
Sponsored