First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
My ‘22 JT showed up without a block heater, apparently Jeep now requires Canadian dealers to spec the block heater, so some were missed.

Following is my install procedure. None of the other threads I found seemed specific to the current JT/JL so I thought I would document what I did. It was a quick and easy process.

The parts required are:
-Heater 0460 9325 AB - 001
-Cord 6835 7707 AD 001
-Bolt M6 x1.0 x20mm

Tools I used:
-Prybar 18” (to loosen serpentine belt tensioner)
-Short 3/8’s ratchet w/ 13mm socket (to loosen the A/C compressor)
-Dielectric grease (to coat the heater)
-Short 1/4” ratchet w/ 10mm socket (to attach heater)

If you get underneath the vehicle, behind the front axle, above the differential, you can see the dry hole that the block heater goes in, right behind the a/c compressor.

*Pic of hole behind compressor
Jeep Gladiator JT 3.6 Block Heater Installation FD7A3C1A-9FCD-4276-AD32-F0DF8356ECAF

You need to pull the serpentine belt off the a/c pulley. Use the prybar as shown to loosen the tensioner and slide the belt off. (You can use a 1/2” strongarm to loosen the tensioner but it takes a bit more work to access).

*Pic of prybar
Jeep Gladiator JT 3.6 Block Heater Installation A8496706-0A2F-41CF-8207-D6E08B981DA1

I zip tied the belt to a hose to keep it in place on the other pulleys… I diagrammed the routing just in case it had come off…

*Pic of routing
Jeep Gladiator JT 3.6 Block Heater Installation 49B34278-BE32-4C52-A93F-64CB3B8E06D1

Next remove the two 13mm bolts and the 13mm nut from the stud holding the compressor. The compressor will slide along the stud until it hits the steering shaft. This gives just enough room to insert the heater.

*Pic of a/c bolts
Jeep Gladiator JT 3.6 Block Heater Installation AF871FB6-038C-4180-9B2C-57D1B4070AAC

Grease the heater prior to install. (I used dielectric because I had it on hand, and I found enough other sources that recommended it.) Ensure the hole is clean. Attach the heater with the M6x1.0x20mm bolt.

*Pic of installed heater
Jeep Gladiator JT 3.6 Block Heater Installation 1D171DB9-F44E-44FD-8032-F207DA2D0DA0

Attach the heater cord (I put some dielectric grease on the pins to ensure good contact. There is a push pin that goes in an empty threaded hole closest to the heater. Next there is a sheet metal clip that pushes on an adjacent bracket as shown…

*Pic of cord and 2 attachments
Jeep Gladiator JT 3.6 Block Heater Installation 999613BC-5621-4ACB-9500-A6F5CF347A9C

The cord then routes under the steering shaft and has two more sheet metal clips that I attached to the metal edge along the side of the top of the diff vent tube (behind the fender liner as shown)

*Pic of vent tube attachments
Jeep Gladiator JT 3.6 Block Heater Installation 1DB15279-6B65-4574-9664-2C4969EAFA90

Next a couple wire clips attach to the factory harness leading towards the inside of the fender….

*Pic of harness attachments
Jeep Gladiator JT 3.6 Block Heater Installation 8C280A40-BA14-431A-A5A8-962E4C831895

Then I routed the cord towards the grill area, as shown, with the remaining 2 clips pushed on the metal A/C line….

*Pic of a/c attachment
Jeep Gladiator JT 3.6 Block Heater Installation 218953B3-64C7-49AE-B7CA-C9345C56D8B0

…this leaves enough cord to just exit by the headlight with the hood closed, as shown, or to store inside, as shown.

*Pic of hood closed
Jeep Gladiator JT 3.6 Block Heater Installation C5A3967D-CA1B-4622-9856-57D9CE012BEC

*pic plug stored inside.
Jeep Gladiator JT 3.6 Block Heater Installation 0FB9FE3E-3FA5-4D5F-B1FB-1C9C375891C9

I hope this helps anybody considering adding a block heater. Feel free to correct or comment.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
My JT showed up without a block heater, apparently Jeep now requires dealers to spec the block heater, so some were missed.

Following is the install procedure I followed. None of the other threads I found seemed specific to the current JT/JL so I thought I would document what I did. It was a quick and easy process.

The parts required are:
-Heater 0460 9325 AB - 001
-Cord 6835 7707 AD 001
-Bolt M6 x1.0 x20mm

Tools I used:
-Prybar 18” (to loosen serpentine belt tensioner)
-Short 3/8’s ratchet w/ 13mm socket (to loosen the A/C compressor)
-Dielectric grease (to coat the heater)
-Short 1/4” ratchet w/ 10mm socket (to attach heater)

If you get underneath the vehicle, behind the front axle, above the differential, you can see the dry hole that the block heater goes in, right behind the a/c compressor.

*Pic of hole behind compressor

You need to pull the serpentine belt off the a/c pulley. Use the prybar as shown to loosen the tensioner and slide the belt off. (You can use a 1/2” strongarm to loosen the tensioner but it takes a bit more work to access).

*Pic of prybar

I zip tied the belt to a hose to keep it in place on the other pulleys… I diagrammed the routing just in case it had come off…

*Pic of routing

Next remove the two 13mm bolts and the 13mm nut from the stud holding the compressor. The compressor will slide along the stud until it hits the steering shaft. This gives just enough room to insert the heater.

*Pic of a/c bolts

Grease the heater prior to install. (I used dielectric because I had it on hand, and I found enough other sources that recommended it.) Ensure the hole is clean. Attach the heater with the M6x1.0x20mm bolt.

*Pic of installed heater

Attach the heater cord (I put some dielectric grease on the pins to ensure good contact. There is a push pin that goes in an empty threaded hole closest to the heater. Next there is a sheet metal clip that pushes on an adjacent bracket as shown…

*Pic of cord and 2 attachments

The cord then routes under the steering shaft and has two more sheet metal clips that I attached to the metal edge along the side of the top of the diff vent tube (behind the fender liner as shown)

*Pic of vent tube attachments

Next a couple wire clips attach to the factory harness leading towards the inside of the fender….

*Pic of harness attachments

Then I routed the cord towards the grill area, as shown, with the remaining 2 clips pushed on the metal A/C line….

*Pic of a/c attachment

…this leaves enough cord to just exit by the headlight with the hood closed, or to store inside, as shown.

*Pic of hood closed

*and open.

I hope this helps anybody considering adding a block heater. Feel free to correct or comment.
Insert the pictures throughout the body of text, rather than at the end. The gas engine didn't receive an engine heater by default.

OP
OP
bailer

bailer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Insert the pictures throughout the body of text, rather than at the end. The gas engine didn't receive an engine heater by default.
Haha, yeah you wouldn’t believe how disappointed I was I couldn’t figure out how to put the pics in the body rather than at the end! 😄. (the dealer showed me a paper listing the vehicles no longer equipped automatically with the block heater… maybe it was just a Canadian thing?!?)

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
For the gas engine, the block heater has always had to be ordered. For the diesel engine, it was initially included on all vehicles but only included the power cord if the block heater option was ordered. They stopped doing that a few months ago, and now both engines require the block heater to be ordered as an option to be included.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
For the gas engine, the block heater has always had to be ordered. For the diesel engine, it was initially included on all vehicles but only included the power cord if the block heater option was ordered. They stopped doing that a few months ago, and now both engines require the block heater to be ordered as an option to be included.
i asked about this and was told it wasnt even an option at all. Isnt a heater usually going into a coolant passage? If that is just a dry open hole it seems like the heater element would just burn up?

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
OP
OP
bailer

bailer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Did you need to drain the coolant? I figured the factory heater would be immersed in coolant to heat the block. I don’t have a need for a block heater but if I did I always figured I would just get one of the adhesive heat pads and put it on the oil pan, one like this ABN Silicone Heater Pad Car Battery Heater Pad Engine Block Heater Pad Oil Pan Heater Pad, 4x5 Inch – 120V 250 Watt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N41HY7Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1CR4K2E6BNMQZFZX705N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Nope, it is a dry hole style, so no coolant drain required.. easy job.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
i asked about this and was told it wasnt even an option at all. Isnt a heater usually going into a coolant passage? If that is just a dry open hole it seems like the heater element would just burn up?
On the gas engine, it is a dry heater that warms the block, not the coolant directly. I would assume the diesel heater is a similar style. The factory installs do not use a heater in the coolant line.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
On the gas engine, it is a dry heater that warms the block, not the coolant directly. I would assume the diesel heater is a similar style. The factory installs do not use a heater in the coolant line.
Oh neat thats pretty cool. Gonna have to look into that

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Haha, yeah you wouldn’t believe how disappointed I was I couldn’t figure out how to put the pics in the body rather than at the end! 😄.
You can edit the post and post the pictures in line with the text.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bailer

bailer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Well, I finally figured out how to cut and paste my original effort so it’s a bit easier to follow the pictures now within the body of the post.

I hope this helps somebody tackling the block heater install in the future!

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
The '21 diesels had the block heat installed at the factory. You had to order the cable separately as an option when ordering the JT or buy it after you got your JT. For '22. There is no block heater installed, and it's not even an option.
Sponsored