1. Lou2.0

Lou2.0 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lou
    Vehicle(s):
    Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
    Liked:
    retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
    I may be waiting for the eTorque version of the Pentastar Gem. I test drove this a few times on the RAM DT and it made the ESS work so much better than my 2016 WK2. If you have any doubts, you owe it to yourself to Drive both versions. So, I am hopeful for the JT and wondering WHERE will Jeep PLACE the 48 volt battery pack? Same as the JL 2.0L - under the vehicle, or will jeep make room behind the rear seat (like the DT) or perhaps under the rear seat, where apparently there is a lot of room (minus that optional storage container thing! With a year of this under jeeps belt (DT) I'm hopeful the transition into the JT will be "seamless" (ugh!).
    Anyone else curious or wanting or willing to wait like I am on this ? Can't wait for some scoop (inside) photos when it's installed !

2. 5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2010 Liberty Limited 185K miles
    Liked:
    This tech bothers me more and more. I'll jump in or not despite all the nonsense. If it's priced Right, I'll be a guinea pig for the ESS and all the other questionables. If I'm in the used market due to sticker shock, by then it'll all be worked out so no matter, whether people know how to disable, workaround, or jeep fixes... Who puts a kill switch you have to turn off?

3. ZEN357

ZEN357 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicle(s):
    Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    Liked:
    Network Engineer
    You an keep your electric motor off my engine. I can do without them.

4. OP
    OP
    Lou2.0

Lou2.0 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lou
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    All about choices (I hope) . . . ain't my motor, and I'm not sure I'm all that excited about all the additional "stuff" required or where THAT "stuff" is attached ! One of the reasons I opted out of the 2.0L on the JL (if I decide to go the JL route .
    I really do need to change Lou2.0 to Lou3.6 - as I've done over at the JL Forum, with photo . I'm still gonna give the electric motor a "shot" - SEE where they stuff the "parts" and make my decision after the new smoke settles with it - if & when they do this .

5. ZEN357

ZEN357 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicle(s):
    Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    Liked:
    Network Engineer
    I'm glad I opted for a Manual Transmission in my Challenger, they aren't putting that crap on the manual Transmission model engines right now, but I'm sure they will figure out a way eventually. :(

6. Malarkey21

Malarkey21 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 Wrangler, 2018 Ram 1500
    Liked:
    The 3.6 in the ram (DT) is changed from the 3.6 used in the wranglers and probably the gladiator. Different locations of alternators, cam profiles, and intakes would be a basic guess. The new Rams has the etorque system using a BSG (belt starter generator) instead of the ESS that is on the wranglers with the 3.6. Basically the difference is that the DT uses the alternator in reverse, turning it into a giant electric motor so they really are not adding any "New parts" other then the 48 volt battery. It functions like a normal alternator to charge the batteries and when needed they switch it and then it turns the crank instead of the crank tuning it. I don't think you will see many issues with the physical unit since alternators have been on engines for a long long time, electric motors are pretty robust these days.

ESS uses the starter motor still. They are beefed up to deal with the heat from all the use and usually are also constantly engaged to the flywheel instead of the usual starter that has to spin and slides to engage. Its also already on manual transmission JL.

If I could pick between the two systems, I would take the BSG all day. Below is a video where they talk about some other things it is designed to do other then just "save fuel". its pretty cool

Hope I could help explain the systems a little bit!

Lou2.0 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Lou2.0

Lou2.0 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lou
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Thanks Malarkey, but I have all that knowledge behind me over the course of the initial reveal videos of the DT and the Many 3rd party Reviewer Videos, etcetera . BSG and ESS are 2 distinct animals, as you know . I have the initial ESS as designed into my 2016 WK2 V6, with the smaller 2nd (regular) battery . Supposedly (dealer techs.) I have no issues with the alternator or the batteries, the belts are snug and the computer soft booted or whatever the heck they call what they do to attempt a "fix" electronically ! ? SO as it turns out (apparently) it's my fault for not driving long-enough trips to get the battery fully charged after sitting in a cold garage for 2 to 3 days at a time . I come to believe this is the case (in my wk2) because I don't usually have the problem during Late Spring thru mid Fall, when I drive more often - as I go to and fro to fly fish in my part of the world (NW) . My concerns, on the JL/JT are about the added equipment, referred to as the heating and cooling lines to the 48 volt pack & the packs location (JL) . Heck even between the DT's V8 "electric motor" (air cooled) and V6's (water cooled), and their locations are different - but you know that ! I don't know how much smaller the engine bay of the JL/JT is vs. the DT's, so I've been wondering if JEEP could possibly make the JT's V6 eTorque System's "electric motor" Air Cooled as well ! Less complicated ! ? Just more time killing speculation ! It's too cold to fly fish and I'm not into Ice Fishing .

5JeepsAz and Malarkey21 like this.
  8. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2012 Wrangler
    Liked:
    Meteorology and Transportation
    It's all fun and games until the powertrain warranty is gone and that $1,295 MGU dies or that 48V battery system and wiring gets fried or those cooling lines running under the Jeep get ruptured on an obstacle when you're miles from home.

K.I.S.S.

5JeepsAz and Lou2.0 like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Lou2.0

Lou2.0 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lou
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Exactly . . . which is why all my "hesitation" hope that when they do "it" to the JT, they have another approach . As I suggested in another post - perhaps similar to the DT V8 -- AIR Cooled Generator Vice Liquid Cooled in the V6 ! Can't even see the Generator in any photos I've seen of the eTorque system with the JL 2.0L ! I'm of the "Wait and See Approach" mindset for the JT . Who knows maybe they'll delay this too - on into 2021 !?

10. OP
    OP
    Lou2.0

Lou2.0 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lou
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    #10 Feb 12, 2019 at 1:57 PM
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 7:36 PM
    IF I could get JAY or a non-hater of eTorque (such as member 'Fuel' who has a 2 door JLU w/eTorque?) to POST the below video from 'Autoline.TV' !

IT is Very Informative FROM the key-engineer of the System ! I've always been a skeptic since the Questions of the design flaws - in regards to the hose & lines running from the engine bay to the 48 volt battery packs (various) locations !
    I'm still hopeful though, that Revisions will happen to improve the application when it hits the Gladiator V6 ! I just may opt for IT, or in the JLU if Gladiator is too expensive ! ? 'Fuel' has no regrets (so far) and I'm beginning to "see the light" !?

Further insight into eTorque - from October 18, 2018, AUTOLINE.TV !

By selecting show # - ATW 2235 (Autoline This Week); HOW FCA is turning Pickups (jeeps too) into "Hybrids".
    THANKS !
    edit - damn auto correct SUCKS . . . even after checking my spelling IT F'ed it up after . . .
    it's AUTO and LINE dot TV sorry .