JT Diesel Snorkel

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
That Hauk snorkel looks really good to Mr. Functional yet not super flashy/aero drag as most. Mine only concern before purchasing is the long intake run above the back of the engine and how much that raises air temps. Plus is it catching hot air escaping the hood vents at low speed.
Is the tube aluminum or plastic?? If aluminum then ceramic coat it to keep the heat out. If plastic then exhaust wrap?? At 1800 rpm’s one would think the draw of outside air would still be cooler then the stock setup??
Sponsored

Giersz

First Name
Wojciech
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Launch Edition EcoDiesel
Hold the phone, in Europe you can get the diesel paired to the Selec-Trac full-time 4WD? That's huge.
There is no other option. Only full time 4WD. Standard option. Same as front + rear parking sensors.

Jeep Gladiator JT Diesel Snorkel 66141375-C30C-48B3-BE10-9A9FE318B469

Same as in USA we do not have diesel snorkel:)

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Hold the phone, in Europe you can get the diesel paired to the Selec-Trac full-time 4WD? That's huge.
Makes no sense we can't get it here. The 4Xe has as much torque as the diesel and has the select trak transfer case in it. Drove one in Moab for Jeep and it was awesome in 4H PT in full electric mode.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
That Hauk snorkel looks really good to Mr. Functional yet not super flashy/aero drag as most. Mine only concern before purchasing is the long intake run above the back of the engine and how much that raises air temps. Plus is it catching hot air escaping the hood vents at low speed.
So if I am not mistaken, the cowl hood vents are intake vents for the interior climate control (heat, A/C and vents) so that would not affect it.

I thought about the long run across the top of the engine and I don't think it would matter because you will be pushing air thru it fast enough to avoid any huge increase in air temps to the air box. Besides, you are sucking hot engine air when stock, the iput of cooler outside air has to be a benefit.

With the placement of the snorkel in the cowl area, the aerodynamics of the Wrangler style will prevent huge amounts of dust from going thru the system keeping your air filter cleaner longer.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
If we could get AirFlo to make us a snorkel. We'll be in business. The guys on the Power Wagon forum years ago asked them if they could make a snorkel for the 3G Rams. It took them about 18 months to do it. BUT they wanted a deposit before they started. The first run was 400 snorkels. I got one of them. Great quality. I just shot them an e-mail. asking if they are planning to make them. Other people need to do the same.

https://airflowvector.com/

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
If we could get AirFlo to make us a snorkel. We'll be in business. The guys on the Power Wagon forum years ago asked them if they could make a snorkel for the 3G Rams. It took them about 18 months to do it. BUT they wanted a deposit before they started. The first run was 400 snorkels. I got one of them. Great quality. I just shot them an e-mail. asking if they are planning to make them. Other people need to do the same.

https://airflowvector.com/
I don't know about that one, cutting holes in my fenders or hoods isn't an option, sticking out of the side like shown in the pictures is a sure recipe for disaster on the trail, I can see a branch hitting it and causing more damage than its worth. The thing looks like the Martian space craft on the 50s move War of the Worlds ;-)

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I don't know about that one, cutting holes in my fenders or hoods isn't an option, sticking out of the side like shown in the pictures is a sure recipe for disaster on the trail, I can see a branch hitting it and causing more damage than its worth. The thing looks like the Martian space craft on the 50s move War of the Worlds ;-)
You won't damage an AirFlo snorkel. Believe me. I've busted tree branches with the one on my Power Wagon.

Rausch Creek.jpg

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
Engine intake temperatures have lowered. The hood vents do not allow hot air to escape. Instead hot air is drawn through the bottom of the back of the engine.

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
Is the tube aluminum or plastic?? If aluminum then ceramic coat it to keep the heat out. If plastic then exhaust wrap?? At 1800 rpm’s one would think the draw of outside air would still be cooler then the stock setup??
It’s aluminum. No need to coat it. The intake allows cooler air regardless of the engine temps. I have seen some improvements in throttle response from it. The biggest was when we got our green diesel engineering tune. It really helped. My exhaust and down pipe are my restrictions now.
That say only real downfall is that if you need to work around the battery you need to remove the back pipe. I’ve been nothing but pleased with the system.
FYI these systems have been used for decades on military vehicles without any detriment to intake temperature or use. I can talk to Hauk to see if I can get a discount code for everyone.

Sponsored

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
My thought with coating it if aluminum is that you lower heat soak even more. Perhaps not needed but couldn’t hurt. I’m glad to hear it’s not plastic.

KW80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Ltd, 2021 JT Sport S Diesel
Two things going against the Hauk snorkel. In Pa. it would be illegal because of it's placement. It block the view out of the windshield on the right side. The other issue is heat soak. With all that piping under the hood. When going slow. Engine heat will soak into the piping, driving your IAT up. If it goes up high enough. The ECU will cut back on power.

Would like to see something like a mirrored system of the Mopar system.
+1, just give us a diesel version of the mopar cai. Don’t need a snorkel and not willing to pay $400+ for an AFE intake that doesn’t pull cooler air directly from outside the engine bay. I get that the EcoD is lower volume vs gas, but at some point across the JL and JT population maybe we can reach critical mass.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I've talked to Rugged Ridge and Mopar higher ups. There are no plans to make a snorkel for the diesel. Diesel sales are not enough to justify. I think Mopar is made by AEV so if the bug guys in the industry won't then you have to rely on the smaller outfits like Hauk to make it happen. Haul makes a great product and I'm pretty sure they put a lot of thought into the diesel snorkel. There must be a reason they run across the engine and not along the drivers side and up.

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
I think the Hauk air box and plumbing to the Rugged Ridge cowl snorkel is the way to go. Doesn't Hauk already sell their kit without the snorkel itself? All we would need is to talk them into adapting the housing to the reach Rugged Ridge inlet. Maybe another company could develop an adapter. Will Rugged Ridge sell just the cowl part of the snorkel with no plumbing?

Jeep Gladiator JT Diesel Snorkel 1651501124909
Jeep Gladiator JT Diesel Snorkel 1651501212122
Jeep Gladiator JT Diesel Snorkel 1651501233462

Chetnik

First Name
Marko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecodiesel Gladiator, BMW 135I (widebody)
Occupation
Automotive Industry
This sounds like a great combo. Id love to have this setup or see someone try it first ahha.

I think the Hauk air box and plumbing to the Rugged Ridge cowl snorkel is the way to go. Doesn't Hauk already sell their kit without the snorkel itself? All we would need is to talk them into adapting the housing to the reach Rugged Ridge inlet. Maybe another company could develop an adapter. Will Rugged Ridge sell just the cowl part of the snorkel with no plumbing?

Sponsored