First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ 6.0L LS, 2015 Z71
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Can't wait to see the new Gladiator get revealed!

I own a 2005 LJ Rubicon that I purchased the end of 2006 that has seen pretty decent after market mods including a 3.5" Rubicon Express SuperFlex lift that was recently upgraded with a full set of Metalcloak Duroflex control arms, Fox Racing 2.0 shocks and steering stablizer, Smittybilt SRC front and rear bumpers, and a Novak Conversions Chevy LS 6.0L (LY6) with 4L60E auto transmission conversion... along with a ton of smaller mods and add-ons.

I also currently own a 2015 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 (in my opinion Z71 should still be synonymous with 4x4!). If things go the way I'd like I'll be replacing the Chevy with a JT before too long.

I've been doing a ton of reading here and other places, and I'd love to see a summary of the specs/features that seem fairly likely at this point. Based on the reading I've done here's what I think I'm hearing...

Edited list based on feedback...
  • Trim levels available at launch: "base" and "premium" (Sport or Sahara and Rubicon?)
  • Number of doors: 4
  • Engine options: 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel, 3.6L V6 Pentastar (both likely with start-stop)
  • Transmission options: 6-speed manual w/ 3.6L, 8-speed automatic w/ either engine
  • Frame length: 205 inches (33% longer than 4-door JKU)
  • Bed length: 5 foot
  • Top options: Black 3-piece Hard Top, Body Color 3-piece Hard Top, Premium Black Sunrider Soft Top
  • Rear suspension: very similar to RAM 1500 coil sprung rear end
  • Axles/Diffs: Dana 12-bolt
  • Gears: 3.45 and 4.10 w/ 3.6L, 3.73 w/ 3.0L
  • Wheel/Tire sizes: ?
  • Interior: same as JL
  • Towing capacity: around 6,500 lbs
  • Max payload: around 1400 lbs
What am I missing? I'd love to have the list above corrected/improved/expanded...

I've never owned a diesel before, but this one sure sounds exciting. The way the LS is set up in my LJ I'm running around 380 hp and 385 ft lb torque. So this V6 with 260 hp / 442 ft lb torque sounds awesome!

I have a question about diesels, though. I've read people making statements that a diesel doesn't make a good around town driver. Is that true? I don't do a lot of highway running. I work from home and typically make short trips into town (20 or 30 miles round trip) with occasional highway trips. But we usually go to Colorado at least once a year and get up in the mountains... and this JT would definitely be headed there!

Anyway, if anyone can shed some light on the diesel question that would be great as well.

Sure hope we start getting a lot more info on this thing soon!

- Rob
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
OK, first JL interior for sure! There's no way they keep using the JK stuff.

If you really are a 20-30 mile round trip guy, the diesel is all good. I've had the 2.8 Vm diesel in a Liberty, and now a 3.0 Mercedes OM 642 in a WK. LOVE it.

OP
OP
RAM

RAM

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I think there is no way they will launch a 2019 JT with old JK interior.
I believe (and definitely hope!) you're right! But I had seen comments where people thought it might be possible. I can't imagine them using the old JK interior.

OP
OP
RAM

RAM

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
If you really are a 20-30 mile round trip guy, the diesel is all good. I've had the 2.8 Vm diesel in a Liberty, and now a 3.0 Mercedes OM 642 in a WK. LOVE it.
As I mentioned this would be my first diesel, so I've got a lot to learn. Are there obvious driving scenarios where the diesel is not a good option? I've tried to imagine what they would be, but I can't come up with anything. Glad to hear your experience has been good.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I mentioned this would be my first diesel, so I've got a lot to learn. Are there obvious driving scenarios where the diesel is not a good option? I've tried to imagine what they would be, but I can't come up with anything. Glad to hear your experience has been good.
If you don't like pulling power and decent mileage... Nevermind, it's all good. ;)

The only negative thing I can think of is daily short trips where you don't give the diesel a chance to warm up all the way. It'll gunk up the DPF.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
my .02 cents. As already mentioned JL interior for sure.

Here is a link to a very basic, high level introduction to diesel regeneration concepts. I think you might find it helpful. http://www.jlmlubricants.com/en/how-diesel-particulate-filters-work

For clarification on the first post. Towing capacity I think will be 6,500. Also the manual tranny will only be paired with the 3.6 and not the diesel.

Between the lack of manual transmission, the regeneration cycle, the fact that I often have shorter trips, the extra up front and maintenance cost, and what I believe to be a more proven power train I will be getting the 3.6. Yes I am already jealous of the torque you will have with the oil burner, but I am hoping the BSG helps with low end torque and functions smoothly without issues.

Also, my "hauling consist of snowboards, camping gear, and mountain bikes (hopefully a carbon fiber bike soon). So not much weight that I need the diesel. Occasionally I move furniture for the wife or friends that don't have a truck.

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not an easy decision. The diesel gets much better mpg, especially relative to gas, and when loaded by hauling or towing. But the gas 3.6 with 6 speed manual is at least $4500 cheaper and more fun to drive.

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
It’s not an easy decision. The diesel gets much better mpg, especially relative to gas, and when loaded by hauling or towing. But the gas 3.6 with 6 speed manual is at least $4500 cheaper and more fun to drive.
I think you negate the fun of all the extra power the diesel gives you. :) Manuals are super fun, but so is power. If only we could have both.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you negate the fun of all the extra power the diesel gives you. :) Manuals are super fun, but so is power. If only we could have both.
I may have misrepresented myself. I’m ALL about the diesel. LUUUUV the power!

Sponsored

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
I may have misrepresented myself. I’m ALL about the diesel. LUUUUV the power!

Haha, same! I feel like no 6 speed with the diesel will be the biggest disappointment of this entire truck once it's finally confirmed though.

OP
OP
RAM

RAM

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
my .02 cents. Here is a link to a very basic, high level introduction to diesel regeneration concepts. I think you might find it helpful. http://www.jlmlubricants.com/en/how-diesel-particulate-filters-work
Thanks for the link about the particulate filters. I've got a bunch of studying to do over the next few months...

I think I make plenty of trips frequently enough that clogging the DPF wouldn't be a concern. But I'll need to look into that along with other "unknowns" related to diesels since I've never owned one. Is there much difference in maintaining a diesel? Or is the cost of maintenance just higher than a gas engine?

I would be interested in a Rubicon Gladiator with the diesel and the 8-speed automatic. The automatic works well for the kind of climbing/off road use I get into. And the convenience of the auto for a daily driver is huge (although driving a stick in the right vehicles is definitely fun for a while!).

OP
OP
RAM

RAM

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
For clarification on the first post. Towing capacity I think will be 6,500. Also the manual tranny will only be paired with the 3.6 and the diesel.
I only have the 3.6 and the diesel listed. I'm assuming you can get manual or auto tranny with either of those. Is there indication that the I4 diesel will be offered as well?

I've updated the list...
  • Trim levels available at launch: "base" and "premium" (Sport or Sahara and Rubicon?)
  • Engine options: 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel, 3.6L V6 Pentastar (both likely with start-stop)
  • Transmission options: 6-speed manual, 8-speed automatic
  • Top options: Black 3-piece Hard Top, Body Color 3-piece Hard Top, Premium Black Sunrider Soft Top

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I only have the 3.6 and the diesel listed. I'm assuming you can get manual or auto tranny with either of those. Is there indication that the I4 diesel will be offered as well?

I've updated the list...
  • Transmission options: 6-speed manual, 8-speed automatic

My mistake, I intended to say the manual will NOT be paired with the diesel. I'll edit my post. Also there has not been talk about I4 diesel since the 2005 gladiator concept so I am thinking it will be just the 3.0.

Last edited:

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the link about the particulate filters. I've got a bunch of studying to do over the next few months...

I think I make plenty of trips frequently enough that clogging the DPF wouldn't be a concern. But I'll need to look into that along with other "unknowns" related to diesels since I've never owned one. Is there much difference in maintaining a diesel? Or is the cost of maintenance just higher than a gas engine?

I would be interested in a Rubicon Gladiator with the diesel and the 8-speed automatic. The automatic works well for the kind of climbing/off road use I get into. And the convenience of the auto for a daily driver is huge (although driving a stick in the right vehicles is definitely fun for a while!).

Check out this thread. https://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/forum/threads/let’s-talk-ecodiesel.3176/page-3

especially look at post #46. I know there where some other comparison threads discussing the 3.6 vs the 3.0. I can't find them right now, they might have been on the JL forum.

The oil burner will cost you more in maintenance as well. The biggest factor is probably def fluid. You might make up some or all of the cost in improved MPGs? Although I think that is bit optimistic. Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to talk you out of it. There are some great benefits and as I mentioned I am jealous of the torque already. I just know it doesn't fit my situation. Keep researching and decide for yourself what works for you. Either way we will both have the most capable off road truck out there, we will have an open air top options, and there will be more bolt on mods to customize then you can shake a stick at. Bottom line both powertrains will be awesome trucks! :rock: :jk: :rock:
Sponsored