Sponsored

JT front frame predrilled holes match JK?

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a JK available to me for comparison and haven't found any extreme close in detail pics online. Found a CAD drawing online, but doesn't seem to have all off the mounts and predrills. I'm seeing that some JK bumpers and front end hardware will work on JL and JT - sometimes no mod required, sometimes mod. Has anyone compared the mounts and predrills on the frame arms on the front of the JT to the JK? I'm most interested in the outside predrills. Anyone have pics of the two?
Sponsored

Last edited:

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Not sure which holes you’re talking about. Front end of the frame rails that a bumper mounts to or the sides of the frame rails.

I have a Bestop Highrock winch bumper that was on my 17 JK that I took off before trading in. The 4 mounting bolts on each side fit the holes on the end face of the JT frame rails perfectly but I did have to add washers between the frame rail and bumper to extend it outward a little so it and the winch didn’t rub against the grill.

OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure which holes you’re talking about. Front end of the frame rails that a bumper mounts to or the sides of the frame rails.

I have a Bestop Highrock winch bumper that was on my 17 JK that I took off before trading in. The 4 mounting bolts on each side fit the holes on the end face of the JT frame rails perfectly but I did have to add washers between the frame rail and bumper to extend it outward a little so it and the winch didn’t rub against the grill.
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to see if a JK Rubicon steel bumper will bolt onto my JT. Saw something about the JK being closer - bumper extenders from Quadratec would make it work. Washers would be much less expensive. I'm also trying to see if a JK hoop that mounts to the front rail frames (outside predrills) would also transfer from the JK to the JT. Thinking not, because the frame spacing looks a little different.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to see if a JK Rubicon steel bumper will bolt onto my JT. Saw something about the JK being closer - bumper extenders from Quadratec would make it work. Washers would be much less expensive. I'm also trying to see if a JK hoop that mounts to the front rail frames (outside predrills) would also transfer from the JK to the JT. Thinking not, because the frame spacing looks a little different.
I believe the bumper would mount up fine. The spacing left to right seems the same. The only issue would be that the grill sits forward a bit more at the bottom. Part of that aerodynamics shift they did on the JL/JT update. Like I said, I set mine up on the frame rails, seen it was gonna rub so added large fender washers to move the bumper forward enough to clear and bolted it tight. If you’ve got a JK rubicon bumper (or can get one cheap) I’d say put it on there and see what ya get. Might work perfect, might need spacers. If it doesn’t work, you can always sell it and move to plan B.

OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the bumper would mount up fine. The spacing left to right seems the same. The only issue would be that the grill sits forward a bit more at the bottom. Part of that aerodynamics shift they did on the JL/JT update. Like I said, I set mine up on the frame rails, seen it was gonna rub so added large fender washers to move the bumper forward enough to clear and bolted it tight. If you’ve got a JK rubicon bumper (or can get one cheap) I’d say put it on there and see what ya get. Might work perfect, might need spacers. If it doesn’t work, you can always sell it and move to plan B.
Sounds like a plan.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a JK spec bumper lined right up. It was listed as a JK/JL bumper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
How'd this workout? I'm considering the AEV JK bumper for my JL and not sure how the winch plate would work out.
I have found that many JK, JL, and JT bumpers can be interchanged. JK bumpers sit a little closer to the grill and may limit the type of winch you use or require Quadratec bumper spacers. I did not wind up using the winch plate that came with the JK Rubicon bumper knockoff I bought - I didn't have a winch at the time. The Rubicon knockoff bumper mounted perfectly and a dry fit of the winch plate at the time confirmed it would work too. It looked great. I ran with it for a while and then upgraded to a heavy duty EAG bumper when I bought a 12K winch - as seen in the new profile pic. The EAG was $325 at the time of purchase - has integrated winch mount - came with LED fogs. Hope that helps.

Edit: As for the pre-drilled holes on the down post of the frame in front - they are totally different, but the 8 bolts to mount the bumper are identical.

Last edited:

Imbuere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have found that many JK, JL, and JT bumpers can be interchanged. JK bumpers sit a little closer to the grill and may limit the type of winch you use or require Quadratec bumper spacers. I did not wind up using the winch plate that came with the JK Rubicon bumper knockoff I bought - I didn't have a winch at the time. The Rubicon knockoff bumper mounted perfectly and a dry fit of the winch plate at the time confirmed it would work too. It looked great. I ran with it for a while and then upgraded to a heavy duty EAG bumper when I bought a 12K winch - as seen in the new profile pic. The EAG was $325 at the time of purchase - has integrated winch mount - came with LED fogs. Hope that helps.

Edit: As for the pre-drilled holes on the down post of the frame in front - they are totally different, but the 8 bolts to mount the bumper are identical.
So, if the 8 bolts are in identicle positions, it would make sense that I could use a JL/T winch plate and a JK bumper, right? I know it's probably gonna be one of those things I just have to buy to try, but sounds like it should work, right?

Sponsored

OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So, if the 8 bolts are in identicle positions, it would make sense that I could use a JL/T winch plate and a JK bumper, right? I know it's probably gonna be one of those things I just have to buy to try, but sounds like it should work, right?
Since the JL / JT Grill sticks out a little more than the JK in relation to the bumper mounting position the winch plate you use may make the winch sit closer to the grille or the bumper depending on the bumper. Also, some winch mount plates have upper as well as lower mounting points - if you have to use a bumper extender, and depending on the type of winch, you may have to modify the winch plate. I still have the winch plate from the prior bumper - for a JK - it fit my JT but I did not use it. If I have time I'll take pic for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
robinja

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator JT front frame predrilled holes match JK? 922E94B5-2FF7-4018-AD08-D024D09CEED3

Jeep Gladiator JT front frame predrilled holes match JK? 39091BDD-DB73-4CB0-BE50-4BF9D365D728

Here is the JK winch plate that came with my Rubicon metal knockoff. It mounts right up to the 8 bolts on the JT and did fit with my knockoff bumper. The angled brackets in the second picture are where extensions go for stability and strength. Using a spacer before or after the plate should work, but like you said you will just have to try see what if anything needs to be adjusted.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Did you use a winch plate?
Sorry late response, the bumper I got had a built-in winch mount. The bumper was "spec'ed" for JK not JL or JT. So I think that is common for more than than led to believe of the same.
Sponsored