JT Mojave -> Have lockers, will use them

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
My first post, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong area. I'm really excited about having lockers in the rear of my Mojave, and want to try using them when-ever/where-ever it makes sense, but I don't want to tear things up. This last winter, I engaged them for a few seconds on the snow/ice at lower speeds ( <20mph ), and then again on a slippy-rock bit down near Glade Top Trail, but didn't really get a good sense of when/where they would really shine in loose terrain. As my first jeep, and my first 4wd, and my first vehicle with triple-peak tires, it's done everything that I've asked of it with ease. I've been super-impressed with its offroad manners. I really like using the fun button ( off-road+ ).

We don't have a lot of sand to play with in Mid MO, and I've been curious about amount of time that you can/should have an e-locker engaged. I was watching a vid this morning on Arb air lockers, and they made mention that some elockers will heat up the diff fluid above the boiling point ( start around the 2min mark on this vid: ). Well, that got me thinking about the Mojave in 4hi, in sand, with the rear-diff locked. For example, if someone was playing in the dunes, would it be bad to leave your e-locker engaged for more than say, 5min straight? In a similar fashion, is this even an issue for those Rubi owners out there with elockers ( I guess a rock crawler would quickly turn them back off after an obstacle )? I'm really asking in terms of 4hi, sand mode, lockers engaged ... is there a maximum amount of time that you would just turn the elocker off?
Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
The Mojave rear locker is designed to work in 4 high, so as long as you're in loose material, sand, snow, I don't think it would be an issue, especially if going mostly straight.

OP
OP
Volt0

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
It’s the same Dana 44 that’s in the Rubicons; I’m seeing comments over on other forums where people got their factory rear diff into issues from long lock times ( 45min or longer ). Those comments on other forums could be about JK/JL, either way it’s still a factory e-locker. Over on those forums, it’s looking like folks were having troubles getting unlocked after 20+ minutes of sand driving while locked.

Last edited:

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Hmmmmmm. I've a Tazer, and our normal drive around on rough roads is swaybar off, 2Hi and locked rear. I like a little oversteer, myself, so it's the closest I can get to a TrueTrac (which I miss, still have one in my YJ).

It gives us/me an opportunity to raise the stakes for a bad line, makes the focus on the terrain more important/entertaining, but we still have multiple get-out-of-jail cards when encountering serious obstacles.

I've never had an issue flipping out of locked, and hours or more tooling around locked.

Because of towing I figure to change the diff oil at 30K, which is coming right up. I'll be interested to see the condition.

And finally, ARB has an agenda. Just sayin'.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
It’s the same Dana 44 that’s in the Rubicons; I’m seeing comments over on other forums where people got their factory rear diff into issues from long lock times ( 45min or longer ). Those comments on other forums could be about JK/JL, either way it’s still a factory e-locker. Over on those forums, it’s looking like folks were having troubles getting unlocked after 20+ minutes of sand driving while locked.
I don't do sand driving, because we have no sand around here. But I've locked for way longer than 45 minutes at a time several times. I haven't seen that issue come up here. The only issue I've seen come up is the bad lock sensor.
Sponsored