Sponsored

JT shocks vs ZR2 shocks

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I did an exhausting 8 minute (yes 8 minutes, and I have not worked out in years) crossfit workout this evening, and now its 2:43am and I can't sleep =(

So i started watching this video below. How do these shocks compare to the JT fox shocks?

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
i saw this post elsewhere, looks like the ZR2 has may more flexibility in the multi stage dampening. What are the advantages/disadvantages of this compared to the rubicon or mopar shocks?

there will probably be quite a few differences.
Stock Sport / overland shocks are a twin tube design. they will be shorter because of the ride height and tuned for the smaller tire.

Rubicon are monotube dampers, so the overall length will be longer (for an internal gas separating piston). The extended length will also be longer for the higher ride height and the valving will be tuned for the the 33 inch tire.

Mopar lift shocks are also monotube but once again will be longer extended length for the lift. I will guess and say that the shocks for the Mopar lift will also have a different tuning then the rubicon shocks. The Mopar lift for my JK states they are tuned with the lift and 35 inch tire combination. they also listed the different 35 inch tires they checked the ride with.

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
I did an exhausting 8 minute (yes 8 minutes, and I have not worked out in years) crossfit workout this evening, and now its 2:43am and I can't sleep =(

So i started watching this video below. How do these shocks compare to the JT fox shocks?

Burpees? Come on man your gonna kill yourself wirh CrossFit lol

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250

Side note - how do you know which forum members do CrossFit? Just wait a minute and they’ll post it!

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Burpees? Come on man your gonna kill yourself wirh CrossFit lol
no, you had bring you knees to your chest 25 times while hanging on a bar, then jump rope 50 times, then do 15 squat cleans, and then repeat that. I got through 4 sets then gave up. My legs hurt a bunch today.

That was the relaxed version, lol.

i don't intend to do crossfit for real, it was just a friday family fun night, my kids had a blast.

I'm more about watching TFL Truck on youtube while walking on my treadmill at varying grades.

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
come on, nobody has any info about the fox shocks on the JT and how they'll compare to the ZR2 shocks?
Nope - we don’t know squat yet. About all we think we know is that they won’t be what’s on the JL.

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
the big point of the ZR2 shocks is that they are DSSV dampers. Basically they use spool valves inside the damper to control the amount of pressure / damping force. Their selling point is that because of using spool valves, it is has more consistent performance (mostly while being pushed hard). Spool valves could have a digressive characteristic since they depend on a blow off. This usually is associated with comfort since they have less damping force at higher damper velocities. They say they can make any curve they want though so im sure they have some slick solutions for this. One thing I do know is if you have a problem, they are not cheap to go get a new one.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...imatics-clever-spool-valve-dampers-explained/
https://autoweek.com/article/technology/what-heck-dssv-stuff-anyway

upload_2019-3-4_7-8-59.png

Fox shocks use a deflective disc design. These are pretty robust, and lots of tuning options and combos. You can even send the shocks back to fox to get rebuild or change the tuning. Most deflective disc have a linear damping force characteristic, but some trickery can be done by using preload disc or adding spring disc in the stack to change the curve. This is pretty good for a sporty feel but as damper velocities go up, so does damping force so that can be pretty jarring when you hit pot holes or rocks, or cracks off road.

Depending on what jeep bought from fox, they could have very similar tech inside. The DSSV damper has a sort of "anti bottoming" feature. so if the damper gets compressed too far the damper gets more damping force. Fox also has something like this. One thing fox has that I dont see on the DSSV damper is internal bypass. this makes it possible to control damping force biased on the position of the damper. example would be if you know at ride height the damper could see some short high speed inputs like driving down a dirt road, you could lower the damping force for the first inch of travel so its more comfortable.

upload_2019-3-4_6-59-45.png
Sponsored