Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
UPDATE - FALL 2022: There's a lot to read here. An overview of my plans for life with my 2021 diesel Ruby is in this top post, and here's a few quick links to some of the details that follow:

Now, back to the original post ...

In a big leap for a guy who's been garage building "almost as good as a Jeep" rigs since the late 1980s, I gave up the wannabe lifestyle and join the Jeep owner ranks last year. Ordered my 2021 diesel Gladiator Rubicon a few weeks after the July 2020 announcement that they were available, and picked it up from the dealer on Oct. 23. It's a pretty standard sting gray Rubicon, with the adaptive cruise, blind spot and collision avoidance systems, as well as a lined bed, tacked on. I added 35" BFG KO2s on delivery, but it took an extra month for the Mopar 2" lift for the diesel to get delivered and installed.

Since then it's been a daily driver and weekend trail camping warrior, with an occasional 500-mile or so trip tossed in. I'm coming up on 17K miles and have yet to have a single issue with the truck. I know some folks here have run into problems with hot weather, high grade towing, and a few other folks have had a range of other challenges -- and I respect them all -- but my experience has been nothing but a steady stream of being amazed by this rig. With a tank of fuel and my dogs and me sitting in it, this truck approaches 6K pounds, it is lifted and on up-sized tires, and it's shaped like a cinder block, and lately I've been topping 27 mpg on the highway. My overall average, which includes a fair share of grocery getting, running 500-pound loads of wet debris to the dumps, and slow crawling on muddy logging roads, is just shy of 23 mpg. That amazes me. Never a missed start or a thrown code. It pulls through deep snow, muddy trails and didn't flinch during the worst hurricane-fueled downpour I've ever endured. And damn, I've become addicted to having the roof and the doors off.

Honestly, I know people expect a lot from new cars (and at this price point those are fair expectations) and I guess some lifelong Jeep owners might take some of this for granted, but these things are absolutely one-of-a-kind incredible. Those "almost as good" rigs I built and loved, not even close.

OK, enough preaching to the choir for me. I just needed to get that said.

So I bought this as a daily driver and all-around utility truck, but the plan was always to build it up to a remote camping (Phase 1) and extended overlanding (Phase 2) rig after I retired -- which through the grace of Providence and a few generous incentives was July 2021. As of September 2021, I've already been doing some trail driving and primitive camping to test out some gear and a few ideas, but it's time to get serious. Over the next few months I will be adding gear and making modifications so I can do some trail driving and remote camping as deep into the Northeast winter as I can get. After that, I'll focus more on the garage work, building out some type of setup so that sometime late winter '21-'22, I can head out for some extended travel, first south to see friends and relatives, then west to get a taste of that incredible country out there. After a few cycles back for refinements (and to get my house set to rent) I plan to hit the road for most of the next 3-5 years. Where I land from there is anybody's guess.

A few caveats: I've got two decent sized Lab mixes (one part Staffy at 70 pounds, one part Newf at 100 pounds), so I know I'll be surrendering my back seat to them. I also want to keep some strong trail capability, because I love fishing and hiking the quieter, less-traveled spaces. And, I love the open-air feel, so I'll be very reluctant to do anything that's going to lock me back into a permanently closed box.

With all that, here's the very rough plan ...

Phase 1 -- focusing on trails and remote camping trips of 3-5 days.
  • Complete my recovery setup. I have a winch (Smittybuilt 10K synthetic I transferred over from my last rig), ARB tire kit, a Hi-Lift and a basic ARB strap kit, but I need to add a few shackles, a backup snatch strap (mine if a little frayed from pulling a VW out of a snowbank). I'm also considering an alternative to the Hi-Lift for off-road jacking. Maxtrax seems like a smart addition too; I'll see if my trail experience suggests them.
  • Onboard air. I've had a portable big box air pump, but if I'm going to be living out there, it's time to get serious. ARB dual seems like the smart option.
  • Navigation. Leaning toward OnX and/or Gaia on an iPad, but I may wait until after Overland Expo East to see what's out there.
  • Communication. I was thinking CB and/or ham, but there seems to be a lot of new options in between. Definitely need to do a little homework.
  • Dash mount system for all of this. Open to recommendations on best approach.
  • Rear 60 delete. I love the Goose Gear platform, but damn that's a lot of money for half a sheet of plywood. Yes, they seem very smartly made, but I may save $600 bucks or so for something else and DIY this. It really just has to support a few dogs.
  • Switch and relay setup for the winch. Dealer installed it hard wired to the battery. I bought the Warn kit after doing some reading here. It's going in soon.
  • Badge Glow aux power block. Seems like a smart addition for future wiring ease.
  • Mobile tool kit. I can assemble the basics from my garage tools, but may add a new DeWalt 20V driver/impact/recip saw set just for some old-guy convenience.
  • Trail/camp tools. The basics: ax, handsaw, hatchet, maybe a chainsaw (been eyeballing the DeWalt electric one, so I can use the batteries on all the tools).
  • Water. I'll likely start with some Jerry cans or anything that can hold up to 10 gallons. Pouring is fine, it doesn't need to be pumped.
  • Fuel. Diesel has great milage, but a smaller tank. I'm thinking Jerry can again.
  • Of course, camping gear. I'm going to pick up a ground tent and a solid sleeping bag for now (and maybe a cot or mattress for my not-in-my-20s-anymore skeleton). I have a Coleman propane stove. I definitely want to upgrade the stove (poor flame control) and I'll be filling out the cookware and chuck box as I go. I'm looking into water filtration and camp toilet setups as well, and suggestions are very welcome.
  • Safety and First aid kit. Have a good one (I think), but only the most basic sense of how to use it. Definitely need some training. A few fire extinguishers are a must.
  • Trail lighting. I'm very skeptical of big light bars and the like, but I'll see what experience suggests and add what's needed.
And here's a good chuckle -- I'd love to try to find a way to pack all this in the bed (and maybe I can talk the dogs into giving me the 40 space in the back) and keep it all under my tonneau cover. I like to keep things clean and modest, and I'm hoping to avoid a cap or rack until I figure out where I'm going in Phase 2.

Phase 2 -- extended travel and overlanding trips of 10+ days.
  • Living space. It's possible I love ground tent life, and don't need anything else. If that's the case, I'll stick with it. I don't like to spend money on toys I don't need. But if that's not the case, I'll need someplace to call home. The jury is still out for me on ...
    • Truck based. I'm not crazy about bed racks. They look amazing and add storage and a platform for something up top, but they leave the bed open to dust, weather and curious hands. Those slide-in campers look amazing too, but I'm not eager to add that much weight and permanently give up the bed and tougher trails. That might leave me with an RSI cap and rooftop tent, provided I can come up with a way to detach them both with relative ease, either in the garage or, better yet, out on the trail. I don't want to give up the joys of top-free, trail capable Jeep life now that I've just discovered it.
    • Trailer based. Given my desire to keep the Gladiator lean, capable of still using as a pickup and a trail rig, I'm leaning now toward some type of trailer. There are some gorgeous options out there, but unless I win a raffle at some future Expo, it's unlikely I'll want to shell out all that cash. If I go this way, it's likely build time. Yes, I'm getting too old for this.
  • House power. I've been assuming I'd end up with a house power system with connections to the alternator, solar and shore power, but I'm starting to wonder if one of those new portable units is a better solution. Which was I go will likely depend upon what kid of living space I settle on.
  • Upgraded kitchen, including food prep space and on-demand hot water. Seems like a basic need.
  • A good awning system.
  • Outdoor shower (or indoor, if the trailer idea gets really funky)
  • Camp lighting. If home is out there, I might as well be able to see where I'm living.
  • Fridge. With power and longer stays will come better food storage, including a fridge.
  • Garmin In-Reach or comparable.
  • Maxtrax, if they're not already onboard.
You may notice there's not a lot here about the truck itself. Basically, I love this rig and don't want to mess too much with a winning formula. I'm thinking about new wheels, since my 35x12.5 tires on the stock Rubi wheels look a little pinched in the middle and rounded across the tread. I might go to 37s when it's time to replace the tires I have now, but only if experience over the next few years pushes me there.

I'm also thinking about a soft top and doors for easy open driving, but I'm going to wait to see if someone comes out with a top that folds all the way down to the tub. In the meantime, I'll likely add a bikini top and a trail cover, for when I get caught wheeling or camping with my top off. I'm also hoping the global economic madness recedes and bit, and the Gladiator and overlanding markets cool a little, so some of these prices start to settle down. Wishful thinking, I know.

That's a helluva lot of words. If you got this far, thank you. As I hope I mentioned a few times, feedback and advice are very welcome. I'm reading and learning, but I'm not at all against a direct intervention from all the folks who are smarter and more experienced than me.

Best, John

A quick look at the rig ...

As delivered:
Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_3156

Post BFGs and Mopar lift:
Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_3425 copy

Typical Northeast trails:
Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_3458

Very basic camp kitchen:
Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_3980

Copilots:
Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_3603

How I spend as much time as possible.
Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_0050
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
John in the Woods

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
OK, summer's over, most of my camping and trail exploring is done for the year. I've racked up a little more than 20K miles on my JTRD in the 54 weeks since I picked it up, and I'm retired from the 100-weeks so I'm free to play.

So here's where I'm going with this thing ...
  • DD/Work: I use this truck every day. It's a grocery getter and a mule to haul lumber, construction debris and other trash at least a few times a month. It works surprisingly well at all of that. I've got to keep this capability.
  • Sun: Upstate NY ain't the greatest place for it, but I still managed to go most of August and into September with doors and roof off. I dreamed of that all my life, and it was better than I imagined. Absolutely can't give that up.
  • Trail/Wheeler: From days on forgotten roads in public forests to weekend jumps to AOAA (and someday Moab), I got a Rubicon for more than just the hood decal. This thing is a blast.
  • Camper: I do a bit, and going to do a great bit more. Mostly solo.
  • Overlander: After some remodeling, my house will hit the Airbnb marketplace, and I'll hit the road for at or near full time. I grew up on a sand bar off the East Coast, and lived most of my life less than 250 miles inland. It's well past time to see the rest of this continent.

So here's what's coming in the next few months (as that sweet global supply chain allows) ...

• ARB Twin, with 813 Design back seat mount
  • ARB step/sliders (love the wide step and fender integration, and the band, but not wild about the tub drilling. I might end up with Rock Hard Patriots instead)
  • Flashlight and fire extinguisher mounts (cab and bed)
  • Mopar sill guards (what are these not standard?)
  • Hinge pins for easy door removal
  • Mopar Sun Bonnet (if the sun's too intense or I get caught in a light rain)
  • Mopar Cab Cover (for when the rain ain't light)
  • Dirt Dog rear netting (so pups and roofless still works)
  • 10-ton bottle jack
  • SafeJack lift pad
  • Hi-Lift and kit (I've used Hi-Lifts for a few creative recoveries on other rigs, so I want to keep the old tool handy)
  • Bubba Rope Gator Pro soft shackles to add to my ARB recovery kit
  • ARB Tredpro recovery boards (vanity here, just looking for red to go with my Sting Gray Ruby accents)
  • JCR MOLLE panels, bed sides and front
  • Ax, hatchet, Silky saw to mount in bed with shovels
  • Wavian 5 gallon water Jerry can (could go Scepter)
  • Wavian 5 gallon diesel Jerry can (same)
  • Mopar A-pillar light brackets (I'll mount some Rigid Duallys I have for ditch lights)
  • Mopar grill guard light brackets
  • KC Flex Era 4, 2 light combo kit
  • Ram mount for dash, with arms/brackets for iPhone and Garmin Inreach
  • CMM grab rail ball, with arm for iPad Mini
  • Midland MXT 275 with ghost antenna kit (antenna will be on one of the A-pillar mounts)
  • EITHER ... Jackery 500 with SolarSaga 100W panels OR EcoFlow River Pro with EcoFlow 110W panels (still on the fence, might let Black Friday decide)
  • Stanley Base Camp kit (really just want the bigger stainless pot, but I'll take the rest)
  • SOL flat pack 20L folding basin
  • Cleanwaste portable toilet and 12pk of bags
  • Black Beard "Captains Loot" fire kit (great kit for emergencies, an FULLY US made!)
  • UCO Flatpack folding
  • Platypus GravityWorks water system
  • Custom DIY "60" seat delete and removable "40" below-seat floor storage (I love Goose Gear, but the price is just too far out there for a carpenter to swallow)
  • ADDED post AOAA – Steering stabilizer relocation kit (see why below)

That should combine with the gear I already have for first aid, basic wheeling and camping to get me well set for 4 out of 5 of my ambitions for this truck, and give me the flexibility to go from one to the other as needed.

The missing link, of course, is overlanding. I've got a Coleman stove a Yeti-knockoff cooler and a good ground tent setup with table, chairs and basic cooking gear. Since I don't want to give up the bed, and I want to be able to unpack and hit the trails with as much agility as a Gladiator can give you, I'm looking into trailers (basecamps or mini-campers). This one will have to wait for next year. I'm going to make myself earn it, by repeatedly outlasting my cooler, out-cooking my Coleman and outstaying my cot and tent. If I get there, I'll take the leap.

Should be a good bit to play with over the winter, and lots of fun figuring out how to pack it all so I can still head out with the tonneau cover in place.

So, please, tell me ... what's a waste of time and money, and what am I missing?

Last edited:

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Nice plan.
I like headlamps instead of flashlights.
Have you thought of getting a fridge instead of the cooler? Sounds like you’re going to have enough solar/power to do it, sounds like people never regret it!

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Nice rig! You are not that far from me (Syracuse), I may have to hit you up for some trail recommendations. I've done some logging trails but I'm not really sure what is around here.

For the navigation part of your build I highly recommend Gaia. I was originally looking at onx, but it doesn't have anywhere near the available map layers that Gaia has.

Onx is probably easier to use, at least initially, but I think the learning curve is worth it.

Having spent a couple weeks each year flying to Utah and renting jeeps and sort of "rocklanding", we were kind of stuck with coolers and dry ice. And with a good cooler it does work well, but I think I would definitely go for a fridge. Just not losing the space for ice I think is worth it. The other issue is that while dry ice definitely lasts as long as you don't get it wet, anything it touches gets frozen solid. So you also lose some space for insulation to keep everything in the bottom of the cooler from freezing.

OP
OP
John in the Woods

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
Nice plan.
I like headlamps instead of flashlights.
Have you thought of getting a fridge instead of the cooler? Sounds like you’re going to have enough solar/power to do it, sounds like people never regret it!
Thanks for the insights. I do have a few headlamps I picked up this summer, and I agree having the hands free at camp or under the rig is much better. I just like to keep a MagLite handy in the truck n case I need to get out on the roadside.

I do know what you mean about the fridge. That always was the plan. Prices seem to have gone crazy, and I'm a little bit hesitant. I guess it's not likely they'll come down, so I should make the leap. Any thoughts on whether IceCo is worth a try?

Sponsored

OP
OP
John in the Woods

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
Nice rig! You are not that far from me (Syracuse), I may have to hit you up for some trail recommendations. I've done some logging trails but I'm not really sure what is around here.

For the navigation part of your build I highly recommend Gaia. I was originally looking at onx, but it doesn't have anywhere near the available map layers that Gaia has.

Onx is probably easier to use, at least initially, but I think the learning curve is worth it.

Having spent a couple weeks each year flying to Utah and renting jeeps and sort of "rocklanding", we were kind of stuck with coolers and dry ice. And with a good cooler it does work well, but I think I would definitely go for a fridge. Just not losing the space for ice I think is worth it. The other issue is that while dry ice definitely lasts as long as you don't get it wet, anything it touches gets frozen solid. So you also lose some space for insulation to keep everything in the bottom of the cooler from freezing.
Good tips. I did a ton of visits to state forests around Central New York over the summer. Some where bland, but a bunch had some great trails, lots of hiking and free camping. I'll be happy to share the info.

I hear you on the fridge. I was on the edge there, but with you and @mx5red both making that point, I think I'll find a way to make that work.

Gaia is a definite. I've been following venture4wd on YouTube for years, and he's a dedicated user with lots of data to share.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Haven’t bought one yet myself, I can’t get out for long trips so hasn’t made sense.
Seems like plenty of people have had good things to say about the IceCo ones.

OP
OP
John in the Woods

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
Had a great day last weekend with a group of folks from this forum at AOAA in central PA. Definitely learned a lot about the rig and a lot as a driver, especially after an afternoon session on some more technical blue trails wheeling behind @Kindafearless.

One of the lessons, and one I was looking for, was what else might need some protection. Took enough hits to see that control arm skids make sense, and a post trail introduction to death wobble at 60 mph taught me that a stabilizer relocation is a smart investment. That stock location is not rock friendly at all.

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_0668

OP
OP
John in the Woods

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
OK, after a rookie season closed with 22K miles and plenty of time on pavement, snow, wooded two tracks, mud, sand, and finally some rock-strewn trails, I made the call on the off-season upgrades. With the goal of being able to be anything from open-air crawler to cross-country home on wheels, here's what I'm what I pulled out of the Black Friday hurricane:

From Tim and the folks at @Northridge4x4 (who's customer service and BF price guarantee were rock solid) ...
From Rob's buddies at @Quadratec (who delivered 4 of 5 items in 2 days!) ...
Then from a whole bunch of folks (I leaned toward site sponsors whenever I could) ...
And toss in some extra gear for camping and overlanding ...
The truck already has a Mopar 2" lift, some 35" KO2s, a Smittybilt X20 10Klb winch I moved over from a previous build, a Warn winch relay kit and some various handles, pouches and stuff; and I've got a decent base of camping and cooking gear that should keep me rolling another year. I'm hoping to get all this Installed, mounted or packed up by late winter, and start hitting the road for some extended travel right around the time the weather finally breaks here in the Finger Lakes.

Trailer is in the plans for next winter. Suggestions on that, or anything I might have missed (and can now add to my Christmas wish list), are very welcome.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Wow, your build is coming right along!

Looking forward to seeing pics as you build it up with the new upgrades.

Sponsored

ScottHarr_JT

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
The missing link, of course, is overlanding. I've got a Coleman stove a Yeti-knockoff cooler and a good ground tent setup with table, chairs and basic cooking gear. Since I don't want to give up the bed, and I want to be able to unpack and hit the trails with as much agility as a Gladiator can give you, I'm looking into trailers (basecamps or mini-campers). This one will have to wait for next year. I'm going to make myself earn it, by repeatedly outlasting my cooler, out-cooking my Coleman and outstaying my cot and tent. If I get there, I'll take the leap.

Have you considered a GoFastCamper? May be a good option for you if you wanna keep the truck bed but also retain a sleeping/camping platform. Lightest campers on the market and the most reasonably priced(still pricey)...

build seems to be coming along!Excited to see where it goes. Nice work!

OP
OP
John in the Woods

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
Have you considered a GoFastCamper? May be a good option for you if you wanna keep the truck bed but also retain a sleeping/camping platform. Lightest campers on the market and the most reasonably priced(still pricey)...

build seems to be coming along!Excited to see where it goes. Nice work!
Dang, they look good; and I love that they're US owned, designed and built. Might be an option, although my love of the open top might get in the way.

I'll keep an eye out for these at gatherings and conventions this year, and definitely climb in one (with permission, of course).

Great tip. Thanks.

OP
OP
John in the Woods

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
Just catching up on some of the work I've tackled since Thanksgiving. Nothing earth shattering, but we're getting there ...

First up, I installed the Warn interrupt solenoid into my winch wiring. Pretty much borrowed the layout and wiring from @rickrogan and the folks in this excellent thread.

Layout is a little different since the battery is in a slightly different spot on the diesel. I used some bolts and spacers to attach the solenoid to the pinch seem at the top of the fender. Ground is straight to the battery. Switch trigger power for the solenoid comes from Aux 3 (only needed a little power to flip the solenoid, main power still comes direct from the battery). Absolutely love this thing. I've respooled a few times on an incline, and the solenoid has shown no issues with getting too hot. It's off most of the time, and using the Aux line let me set it up as ignition power only, so no battery drain snags.

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_1232

I'll throw in a plug for another thing I found on that thread: the BadgeGlow aux board. Easy install, they even included the connectors with heat-shrink tubing, and it mounts right above where the factory wires terminate (they tossed in the needed second bolt as well). Super easy now to add or switch wire connections. Aux 4 and 3 are lower amp and run small Rigid Duallys and the Warn Solenoid. Aux 2 got KC Flex 4s. Aux 1 is waiting for a DC power outlet I plan to add to the bed.

OP
OP
John in the Woods

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
As noted above, next up was some basic trail lights.

I added a set of Rigid Duallys mounted on the Mopar A-pillar bracket. I was happy to get the newer version of the bracket, that doesn't look as blocky. With a slight modification to the aluminum base, my Lange Coyote mirrors (which I love) went right on and work with the Mopar brackets. These point forward now, but will mostly be angled sideway when I'm on the trail as ditch lights.

For a better look forward, I added a set of two KC Flex Era 4 lights. Man, they package those things as pretty as iPhones! Solid feeling lights with more than enough switches, wires and relays to get the gig done, very little of which I used since I was just going back to the Aux 2 post on the BadgeGlow. I left the inline fuse in, which might be redundant when using the Aux lines, but what the heck. They're mounted to Mopar winch guard brackets.

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_0935

I know this is pretty modest for trail lighting, but I'm trying to step into this gently and see what i need in real use, rather than break the bank on items that end up as overkill. I did take the setup out to a state forest for a winter darkness test, and the vey unscientific results are below. All I can say is damn, those KCs lit up the world!

First, just the factory fog lights in the bumper (rise down the trail is about 300 feet away)

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_0938

Add in the headlights (I have the LED option)

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_0939

Highbeams

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_0940

With Rigid Duallys

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_0941

And then turn on the KCs. They easily toss out more light than the rest of them combined.

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_0942

OP
OP
John in the Woods

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
Next up, onboard air.

I looked at a few options, and settled on the @813 Fabrication & Design mount for behind the rear driver's side seat. I like that it's up and out of the way from rocks and rain, and also hidden away from curious hands when the top is off. I don't have air lockers, so it's only powered on when I need to air up. That means I don't need to worry about noise in the cab when it turns on or heat against the back of the seat. So far, use has always been with me out of the cab running the hose, and the seat folded down.

The mount was rock solid and very well made, and the instructions are great. It's a tight squeeze to get it in there, but in the end it fits like a glove.

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_0856

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_0860

Compressor is the ARB dual. A little pricey, but I plan to hit the road for some extended travel later this year, and I didn't want to have to worry about the gear I'll use a lot. In a few test air downs/ups, the dual ARB could get my BFG KO2s 35/12.5 up from 15 to 36 in about 2 minutes each. I didn't get a lot of heat off the unit, either.

I learned a few things during the install, but I'll say the big challenge in installing the ARB dual compressor in that location was the wiring. I followed the advice of pretty much everyone and committed to a direct connection to the battery. In the spirit of keeping the fuses as close to the battery as possible, and making sure the wire that was exposed outside the cab was top quality and well protected, I decided to add the wire I needed right at the plug end and use the original ARB harness to go from the battery and through the firewall as far as it would take me. The good news is, the ARB power harness in that nice, thick cover easily crossed the engine and made it in through the firewall at the hole above the driver's side footwell. The original harness even made it about 18-inches into the cab, which let me do all the splicing inside. Since I was adding to the plug end of the harness, I ended up needing about 6 feet of wire to two 10-gauge power lines and two 10-gauge ground lines (the ground is one 8-gauge at the battery side, a splice ARB does somewhere inside that harness).

I took my time, used plenty of heat-shrink tubing, and pulled a lot of interior body panels, but it made for a nice clean wiring run in the end.

From the battery and across. I took a few 1-inch rubber lined metal wire looms I picked up at Home Depot and re-bent them to work under the existing nuts and captive washers along the front of the engine bay. Keeps it neat and out of harms way.

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_1229 copy

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_1240

Through the firewall at the plug where the clutch would be. I drilled a 3/4 inch hole in the factory cap and then reinstalled it. I sealed it from the inside and out with black RTV silicone. No air or water leaks so far, and the heavy jacket on the ARB harness protects the wires from the cut plastic plug (that's the GMRS antenna cable going in there with it).

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_1238

Down inside the factory wiring path from front to back, and then inside the rear panel beside the seat. The wire comes out behind the seat belt and comes up behind the seat. I added some Harbor Freight plastic sheathing in places it looked like the wires might rub anything. I'm not eager to see two 40-amp hot power lines try to melt my cab.

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_1160

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_1164

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_1167

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_1165

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_1170

The ARB switch needs a lower-amp ignition power source for its relay, so I picked up the extra ignition power line that's bundled with the Aux wires above the passenger footwell. Routing was the same, just on the other side, and I took the opportunity while I had that side open to run a 12-gauge power line from the Aux 1 wire to the back under the seat. I'll use that to power a DC panel back there for my fridge, once the 60-seat is out and the platform is in. I didn't worry about a light for the switch, since the interior light in the rear panel is right there.

Jeep Gladiator Having it all - JTRD sun buggy, trail rig and overlander IMG_1182

A few other random tips:
  • Pay close attention to the tips 813 incudes in the instructions about adjusting the compressors in the ARB mount, and rotating them so the fitting is far to the outside. It made a huge difference in how they fit.
  • Leave the switch out of the mount until after you bolt it into place. The bolt is a bear to reach once you've dropped the package in, but with the switch out its a straight shot down with a decent 10-inch extension.
  • If possible, get the wiring done before the final bolt in of the mount and pumps. That will let you plug the power and switch harnesses into the pump while you can still reach them. Once the pump is in and bolted down, squeezing the plugs and your fingers in there is murder, and trying to keep the other side of the plugs from just sliding away is darn near impossible. I did it, but I put more than a few dents in my hands along the way.
All in all, I absolutely love this set up. Great (if tight) fit. Secure from road debris, weather and idle hands. And rock solid. I haven't heard a rattle of a creak since it went in.
Sponsored