Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Lab Technician
Howdy folks!
I have always been in the habit of keeping my rig pretty well stocked with emergency type items. Whether for my vehicle, or helping out another motorist. When I got the new Gladiator, I was moving my duct tape, tarps, bungees, bailing wire etc, etc into the underseat compartment of my Gladiator. I noticed that my jumper cables were ancient, stiff and cracked. I was all set to just grab another set, but there are a bunch units that do not require a second vehicle to do the jumping. I have also heard that they can be dangerous to keep in a hot car. Help out an old dude with a new truck. Gotta stay up with technology!
Sponsored

Mojave Nunzio

First Name
Nunzio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Control Manager
Vehicle Showcase

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
I was also told to be careful when jumping vehicles as the weird double battery terminal can cause crap if you accidentally bridge them. Aux go bye bye. SO far has not happened, not like I tried it though XD

Sponsored

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel, 1995 YJ 4.0
Yes, a good jump box. I have a Scosche PowerUp 700 and has worked out well for me. I was one of those who said that it was know way in hell that little battery is going to jump start anything, maybe a lawn tractor.

Well this thing has been great around the farm, and with the price of batteries, sometimes ya just have to make do for a little bit longer. From small generators to a 5.9 Cummins, the only time I had it not work was a completely dead battery. Results will vary and of course, temperature will have an effect too.

Mobility and easy to pack, ditch those cables.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I got one of those mini jump packs for jeep and work truck. Bonus, they usually have an extra USB for charging other things. For $30-$70 (amazon, many choices, NOCO brand is top noych tho), great emergency kit item to have.

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
Jumper packs are great until they don't work.

I had a prime case of this in Big Bend National Park a few years ago. The battery in my friends JK was dying a permanent death. His fully charged NOCO jump pack wouldn't do anything for it. His battery was done for (probably bad or shorted cell).

HOWEVER,

I was carrying jumper cables, and with charging it from my Jeep for half an hour, we were able to start it when needed until we drove the 112 miles (TWO HOURS) to the closet auto parts store in Alpine, TX to get a new battery.

Sure, that problem is a little out the box, but based on living that scenario first hand, I keep cables with me. I think the packs are a great convenience item to have if you want in the event you are stuck and SOLO, though. If possible, have both...

Granted, I also carry so many tools with me I could probably remove the engine from my truck, and it still has a warranty...but lets just say we don't lean on luck or AAA.

The Welsh Griffin

First Name
TBone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Work in an Oven
I carry the 30 footers, you can minimize space with the 16 foot length. I do like that jump box idea. However I always crawl
Jeep Gladiator Jumper cable or alternative Screenshot_20221117-104907_Samsung Internet
with a buddy, so I'm good with the cables.

Sponsored

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Jumper pack. I have two, used them a bunch of times successfully.

Cables are fine as tried and true devices, but the jump box is culture-changing imo.

pbrevo64

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Project Manager
Best option - both. I keep a Noco jump box and a set of standard jumper cables. Each has their use, and its cheap redundancy that doesn't add much weight or take up much space.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I rely on jumper cables, although I have looked into a jumper pack. I'm not enamored of the pack being good for limited jumps, and then it needs recharged.
The last time I purchased jumper cables, I couldn't find a good set, at any price. The all-copper ones were too small (like only 2 or 4 gauge,) the larger cables (0 or 00) were CCA (copper-clad aluminum) wire, or the clamps were plastic with copper-plated steel jaws.
I ended up making my own set with all-copper clamps and 0 (one-aught) welding cables.

Kevin

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Jumper packs are great until they don't work.

I had a prime case of this in Big Bend National Park a few years ago. The battery in my friends JK was dying a permanent death. His fully charged NOCO jump pack wouldn't do anything for it. His battery was done for (probably bad or shorted cell).

HOWEVER,

I was carrying jumper cables, and with charging it from my Jeep for half an hour, we were able to start it when needed until we drove the 112 miles (TWO HOURS) to the closet auto parts store in Alpine, TX to get a new battery.

Sure, that problem is a little out the box, but based on living that scenario first hand, I keep cables with me. I think the packs are a great convenience item to have if you want in the event you are stuck and SOLO, though. If possible, have both...

Granted, I also carry so many tools with me I could probably remove the engine from my truck, and it still has a warranty...but lets just say we don't lean on luck or AAA.
Do you know what size your friend's Noco jump box is?

I have never had any issues with mine which is a 2,000 amp.

I left my jump box on a friends boat in September 2021. Didn't get it back until August 2022, 11 months later. It was still 3 out of 4 bars on the battery strength and I used it to jump a V8 outboard boat. Worked just fine.

tonywin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Is the 1000a Noco enough for the Gladiator?
Sponsored