Sponsored

Just got a new Jeep Gladiator Willys 4x4 also a camper that weighs in at 3154 lbs should there be any problem pulling it wherever I want to go?

dwdoherty

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys 4x4
Occupation
Maintenance
Just got a new Jeep Gladiator Willys 4x4 and a camper that weighs in at 3154 lbs, should I have any problem pulling it wherever I want to go?
Sponsored

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x4, bmw 330xi, jeep Gladiator willys
Occupation
Homemaker
Should have the same rating as the sport which I think is 4k MT and 4.5k AT. Should be printed out on the door sticker I believe.

Not much of a tow guy myself, not sure what other weights might effect with payload included with tow weight, etc... sure someone will chime in with experience.

Adding a trailer brake controller seems to be helpful. Payload for the AT sport is around 1k so possibly pushing it with weight. Think MT sport is 1.8k Payload.

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
speaking only to the rating: Did you get the tow package? Assuming automatic transmission...

it would have the hitch, larger alternator and fan/motor (cooling)

the easy visual tell is the hitch.

If without the tow group I think the tow rating is 4000 +\- (willys is classed as a sport)
So Even without you should be fine, but at the rated upper limits; just be sure to watch the load / loaded weight, all the stuff.

If/ With the tow you should be rated at 6,000lbs towing, but watch the tung weight and trailer brakes and controller should probably be in the consideration. The ole “informal” rules I learned years ago were the weight of the tow vehicle, limited the weight of what you’d pull without trailer brakes.

there are some threads on here, I asked this too back when I bought my Willys, I’ll see if I can find that thread and link... in my digging this site/these fine people are the best/better sources of otherwise hard to find info: “Tow Ratings.... clear as mud”

beerviper posted this in that thread:

Jeep Gladiator Just got a new Jeep Gladiator Willys 4x4 also a camper that weighs in at 3154 lbs should there be any problem pulling it wherever I want to go? 7A4E34E4-C5BE-4BEF-A01D-A26AFD824AF1

OP
OP

dwdoherty

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maintenance
I did get the sport with the tow package and the class 4 hitch. So I should be at about half of max weight with nothing in bed of Jeep.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Is that really what the camper weighs? ie have you loaded it up with all your stuff, and scaled it at a CAT scale?

If not, do that then re look at it. IF that's the weight on the sticker of the trailer, see above, if that's what the dealer says it weighs, see above.

If you weighed it then you're more than good to go; breaks and a WD hitch would be my .02$

Sponsored

OP
OP

dwdoherty

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maintenance
Also have brake controller on it’s way and tung weight is about 350lbs.

OP
OP

dwdoherty

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maintenance
That’s dry weight of camper so I’m figuring another 600 lbs in equipment. I already have WD hitch.

OP
OP

dwdoherty

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maintenance
So when pulling the camper I use the manual shift side so I’m not pulling in overdrive? Since there is no actual tow/haul button.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Dry ok, what's the water capacity, water is 8 pounds per gal (ish), 35 gal is 280 pounds. Propane bottles are 55 each full for the typical RV size 2x is 110. Batteries? one is 60 two is 120.

That's 510 before you have even loaded a t-shirt. Unit have AC? awning? That's usually an accessories item and not counted to dry weight.

What's the GVWR of the trailer? That's the number you need to work off.

Stuff: case of water, case of beer, BBQ grill, ice, cooler, food, clothes, bedding, chairs etc?

I bet your "stuff" will be close to 750lbs if you actually start thinking about it. That's in addition to the 510 above.

Too many get locked into the "dry weight" of the trailer and run with that vs the maxed out gvwr of said trailer. Work off than then see where you are/will be.

:) I'm trying to be helpful, not a downer. Sorry if it seems that way, I'm doing this same exercise on the rig I want.

Mine is a small 16' toy hauler, that I'm sacrificing space and amenities for in order to have tow-ability. I'm looking at apx 4700 ready for the road weight + my gear/food/generator of apx 750k + 800 in toy weight = 6250.

OP
OP

dwdoherty

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maintenance
Thank you for the info, much appreciated.

Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
You should be all set with it for the most part.

You can leave it in drive and go where you want with no need to go into "manual" mode. The trans will adjust shift points for you and adapt. If that is annoying to you than "manual mode" is fine also.

-Single axle trailer might sway a bit so "antisway" hitch would be good.
-Trailer brake controller should be add for your safety. Based primarily on the fact that you are asking about towing.
-Tongue weight matters. Be around 10% Better too much than not enough. Better to squat a little vs fish tailing all over the road.

Enjoy!

OP
OP

dwdoherty

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maintenance
Already have sway and hitch distribution and brake controller just came in, just waiting on harness. Thanks for your input.

Dakarider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee (getting Gladiator soon)
Occupation
Network Engineer
I guess that tow ratings guide is all we have to go by. The Willys doesn't have the exact same suspension as the Sport S but should be at least as good towing.

OP
OP

dwdoherty

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maintenance
Turns out worked just fine pulled the trailer about 540 miles yesterday. Only got about 10 miles to the gallon but that was against a strong headwind.
Sponsored