Sponsored

Just looked my truck up on the mopar site...

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
It says towing capacity is 8090 lbs. Curious.

Jeep Gladiator Just looked my truck up on the mopar site... Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 5.21.33 PM
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Check the other threads on this - that site is CRAZY. You can't believe what it has there - unless you can believe that some have a payload or towing capacity of MINUS 1, yes, I said -1

There's several pages discussing this in another thread - just finishing supper otherwise I'd do a search for those other posts showing crazy numbers. It even has my LOADED Overland as over 6300 pounds towing. Really? Yet the BASE OVerland was sold as being 6,000 towing so how can you add options and features that have weight or mass to the base and increase towing?
How can you have one that has negative numbers?
At least two people posted their numbers as negative. Really? They can't tow anything?

So I take that site with a grain of salt - what's on the door frame sticker is king, along with all of the months worth of printed material and advertised towing capabilities for the base of each "trim level".

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Ok, I didn't see the other threads, thought maybe they changed their numbers for 2021. I have no desire to every drag something more than 5k anyway.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Based on what ShadowsPapa said, maybe it’s a good idea to save a screen shot of your towing capacity on the Mopar site. You know, just in case you need it in court sometime in the future.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Based on what ShadowsPapa said, maybe it’s a good idea to save a screen shot of your towing capacity on the Mopar site. You know, just in case you need it in court sometime in the future.
The website appears to provide updated numbers for each specific build, but there are some glitches bringing overall accuracy into question. A printout would be good to have, and keep in the vehicle. However, If there are ever any legal issues, they will only accept what is on the door sticker.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The website appears to provide updated numbers for each specific build, but there are some glitches bringing overall accuracy into question. A printout would be good to have, and keep in the vehicle. However, If there are ever any legal issues, they will only accept what is on the door sticker.
IF those are supposed to be "updated numbers" - my question would be WHY are they not contacting every customer? Not everyone is going to get to that web site. There are simply hundreds if not thousands of people who just don't sign up for things on the web.
Normally if there are important legal changes to anything, they have to contact the customer via U.S. Mail.
So what are we to believe? They are updating numbers and not telling anyone??
What about those with really screwy numbers WAY over the advertised limits of a BASE model of that trim level?
So an Overland has a max of 6,000 pounds trailer - what if you see that with 6400 - that's a whopping 400 pounds, not a tiny difference!
Some of those number approach FULL SIZE trucks with a V8. Really?

I think it's time for Jeep corporate, Jeep PROPER to get involved and explain.
Otherwise everyone is simply guessing, speculating - and if the guess is wrong - you tear up a differential and they won't warrant it because you towed over your limit or had a payload over the door sticker.................
They need to put something in writing as that sticker and the owner manual is GOD as far as towing and payload.
They can refuse warranty repairs over it.

Lives The Dream

First Name
Meericole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 cj5, 1995 YJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JT
So if the door jamb sticker is king, (and what the insurance company or police will go by) why is there no GCWR or tow limit on it? it states payload, GAWR, and GVWR which doesn’t tell you towing capacity only the Max weight over the axles, correct? Is there an invisible number that you can only see by moonlight that I have missed?

Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
IF those are supposed to be "updated numbers" - my question would be WHY are they not contacting every customer? Not everyone is going to get to that web site. There are simply hundreds if not thousands of people who just don't sign up for things on the web.
Normally if there are important legal changes to anything, they have to contact the customer via U.S. Mail.
So what are we to believe? They are updating numbers and not telling anyone??
What about those with really screwy numbers WAY over the advertised limits of a BASE model of that trim level?
So an Overland has a max of 6,000 pounds trailer - what if you see that with 6400 - that's a whopping 400 pounds, not a tiny difference!
Some of those number approach FULL SIZE trucks with a V8. Really?

I think it's time for Jeep corporate, Jeep PROPER to get involved and explain.
Otherwise everyone is simply guessing, speculating - and if the guess is wrong - you tear up a differential and they won't warrant it because you towed over your limit or had a payload over the door sticker.................
They need to put something in writing as that sticker and the owner manual is GOD as far as towing and payload.
They can refuse warranty repairs over it.
I don't expect to ever reach the 6,000 lbs shown in my owner's manual, but I still printed my Mopar info and sealed it in plastic just in case it's ever close and Murphy's Law kicks in. It's going in the glove box.

The max tow number they show here, as far as I can tell, is legit for my particular vehicle and its options. It may or may not be the ender of all debates, but it could prove a good faith effort on my part to stay under my particluar truck's weight limit as Mopar themselves posted it. In other words I think it could put some responsibility/accountability back on Mopar if anything were to ever come of it regarding warranty, etc.

I do wish they would clarify all of this though.

Jeep Gladiator Just looked my truck up on the mopar site... WIN_20200925_05_15_18_Pro

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I do wish they would clarify all of this though.
AMEN! (if we can say that here and avoid religion)

I wonder if @JeepCares has contacts where they can ask what's up with the numbers on the MOPAR.com site when we sign in for our specific Jeep and account.
See if they can determine why our DOOR JAMB sticker is often different than what the web site says, and further, for me especially =
Why does the book and all other documents state that I am limited to 6,000 towing and yet when I log in, my vehicle VIN and all - it says on the WEB SITE that I can tow 6400 pounds!
That's a 400 pound increase!
Maybe they can clarify or get CORPORATE or engineers to tell us once and for all
What rules?
The owner manual that says 6,000 pounds?
The marketing brochures that say 6,000 pounds towing?
The purchase papers that say an Overland can tow 6,000 pounds?
Or the Mopar dot com site that says I can tow 6400 pounds?
Why the difference?
Why is the web site telling me I can tow more than ANYTHING ELSE at all anywhere.
If I go ask my dealer, they'll say 6,000 pounds - so why does Mopar NOW say 6400 after telling me for months 6,000 pounds?
Why are people seeing different numbers than the book or door frame sticker?

H_pipe

First Name
H-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Here is mine on my Sport with Max tow:
What number are you looking at on your door jam? Are you adding GAWR numbers?
Jeep Gladiator Just looked my truck up on the mopar site... C70BBE42-9BB1-45C2-BD5A-92EB3BC22617

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase
Mine say 8079 lbs towing according to the website. I don't think I'll be trying that.
I had around 7000 on it for a very short haul (1.5 miles) and on level road at low speed. Was a little tongue heavy as well. Would not do this at high speeds.

Handles 5000 just fine.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
...Why does the book and all other documents state that I am limited to 6,000 towing and yet when I log in, my vehicle VIN and all - it says on the WEB SITE that I can tow 6400 pounds!...

...The owner manual that says 6,000 pounds?
The marketing brochures that say 6,000 pounds towing?
The purchase papers that say an Overland can tow 6,000 pounds?
Or the Mopar dot com site that says I can tow 6400 pounds?
Why the difference?...
Maybe they use the lowest common weight for each trim level of JT in their printed materials for the sake of simplicity and compliance, but can give numbers more specific to the individual vehicle on their website. Assuming the website's weights are actually correct for our individual trucks, that's about the only possible scenario that makes sense to me.

The question I have is "how much weight (sorry for the pun) does the towing information on Mopar's site carry?"
Sponsored