First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Firefighter
howdy folks, so about a week ago I finally placed my order for my dream vehicle. Should take around 2 months or so before delivery so I have plenty of time to start placing orders for some of the initial mods. RLD camper shell, front and rear bumper, decked system, etc. My question is, when it comes to the full suspension lift and wheels and tires,

#1 if the suspension lifts I find specifically say " for the JL, for the x, for the x" am I to assume they DO NOT work correctly for the 21 eco diesel gladiator? I'm assuming there are only a few companies out there that have rolled out the correct lifts?

#2 would it be wise to wait until the vehicle arrives to order my wheels and tires as well?

anybody think it would be unwise to purchase big ticket items before delivery? any help would be appreciated. thanks
Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Many here will disagree, but the 9-10% in vehicle weight mostly to the front axle requires a heavier spring and shock valving for optimum performance. Some are just using a spring spacer or 1" taller spring which fixes the "Look" of the suspension.

I'm waiting on my order and have been ordering parts as this past year has put the hurt on the supply chain. If you know what works, I'd say start getting stuff coming or you could be in for a long wait.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
howdy folks, so about a week ago I finally placed my order for my dream vehicle. Should take around 2 months or so before delivery so I have plenty of time to start placing orders for some of the initial mods. RLD camper shell, front and rear bumper, decked system, etc. My question is, when it comes to the full suspension lift and wheels and tires,

#1 if the suspension lifts I find specifically say " for the JL, for the x, for the x" am I to assume they DO NOT work correctly for the 21 eco diesel gladiator? I'm assuming there are only a few companies out there that have rolled out the correct lifts?

#2 would it be wise to wait until the vehicle arrives to order my wheels and tires as well?

anybody think it would be unwise to purchase big ticket items before delivery? any help would be appreciated. thanks
There are definitely differences between the lifts for the diesel vice 3.6! Mopar has one, not sure of others that have come out yet. I would be very careful on the weight of items you put on: wheels, tires, bumpers, etc..

BunkyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2021, Sport S, 3.0 Diesel. Sting Gray.
Congrats! I have a 21' Eco-Diesel and have searched unsuccessfully to find a lift designated specifically for the ECO with the exception of Mopar. Mopar currently is the only manufacturer that I have found that has a kit specifically designated for the ECO. I have reached out to Rancho and Tera-flex and both have said they are working on a lift, but currently do not recommend using ones designed for the gas engine on the diesels. If someone reading these posts actually know of a manufacture out there, please reply.

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
Congrats! I have a 21' Eco-Diesel and have searched unsuccessfully to find a lift designated specifically for the ECO with the exception of Mopar. Mopar currently is the only manufacturer that I have found that has a kit specifically designated for the ECO. I have reached out to Rancho and Tera-flex and both have said they are working on a lift, but currently do not recommend using ones designed for the gas engine on the diesels. If someone reading these posts actually know of a manufacture out there, please reply.
I'll ask the stupid question. For the Eco-Diesel, would there be a different lift for the Rubicon vs. the non-Rubicon?

Sponsored

BunkyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2021, Sport S, 3.0 Diesel. Sting Gray.
I thought so, but apparently the MOPAR lift (tech services said) that the mopar lift (diesel) will work on both the Sport and Rubicon. I was actually hoping to purchase a Rubi's take offs for mine. other than mopar, I have no idea.

OP
OP

roamingbombero

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Firefighter
Dang I definitely don’t want to jump on the lift so quickly after everything you guys are mentioning. Maybe I’ll wait to do that last. For now I’ll do the camper shell, decked system and maybe front and rear bumpers...

Shoebox

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
I ordered mine about a week ago as well. I asked about lifts on the Gladiator FB page, and was told Clayton makes one for the diesel.

I called them, they said they had made one for the diesel Wrangler with heavier spring rates, and found it to be unnecessary because their spring rates are already higher than most, and just to go with the standard lift.

I also contacted Metalcloak about it. They also said something similar about spring rates because they designed the lift to work with heavy accessories, and to just expect about 1/4" less lift than a gas truck.

I'm going to start with a Teraflex spacer kit and see how that does initially, then probably upgrade to Clayton later.

Last edited:

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
I thought so, but apparently the MOPAR lift (tech services said) that the mopar lift (diesel) will work on both the Sport and Rubicon. I was actually hoping to purchase a Rubi's take offs for mine. other than mopar, I have no idea.
Well, from my perspective the tech was technically correct. BUT, think you will also have to switch out the sport fenders for rubi fenders to avoid rubbing.

Jeepinjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland. 1977 Jeep J10. 1980 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. 2018 MB GLS 550. 2019 MB S560. 2020 Chevrolet Corvette. 2018 Mclaren 720S. 1932 Ford Hi Boy. 1957 Chevrolet Impala 210. 1972 Land Rover 109 II. 1969 Camero RS Convertible. 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring 1966 Chevrolet Nova. 1970 GMC Sierra 1500. 2003 Mazda Miata. 1965 Mustang Convertible (Wife's Car!!)
Occupation
Retired

Make sure you purchase a VERY good extended warranty. I would NOT touch another eco diesel from FCA. I had a Dodge Ram 1500 eco diesel which caught on fire.
At 67,000 kms I was having coolant issues and my dealership did a complete EGR replacement and everything was fine till at 160,000 kms while on the highway lost full power to have smoke pouring out the engine bay to running from the truck while I watched it burn. Finally assessment was the innercooler and EGR caused the fire. Thank goodness for great insurance coverage.
3 months later FCA came out with the VB1 safety recall.
FCA should be ashamed as an automaker to have let the VB1 issue go as far as it has.
Bottom line....the Eco Diesel is total piece of S**T.
Also...for the extra cost of the diesel over 10 years does not outweigh the fuel savings.

Sponsored

UTRZRDOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Self Employed
Everyone has their own thoughts and I absolutely love my new eco. I don’t care what brand of vehicle or what motor you have someone will always hate it. No regrets on mine and hopefully you won’t have any either. Tired of everyone bashing the new eco 3 considering this generation has only been out for a year.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
Make sure you purchase a VERY good extended warranty. I would NOT touch another eco diesel from FCA. I had a Dodge Ram 1500 eco diesel which caught on fire.
At 67,000 kms I was having coolant issues and my dealership did a complete EGR replacement and everything was fine till at 160,000 kms while on the highway lost full power to have smoke pouring out the engine bay to running from the truck while I watched it burn. Finally assessment was the innercooler and EGR caused the fire. Thank goodness for great insurance coverage.
3 months later FCA came out with the VB1 safety recall.
FCA should be ashamed as an automaker to have let the VB1 issue go as far as it has.
Bottom line....the Eco Diesel is total piece of S**T.
Also...for the extra cost of the diesel over 10 years does not outweigh the fuel savings.
Well, this is a really productive way to answer the OP's questions about his "dream vehicle". Your anecdotal evidence on a version of an engine that's no longer in production is certainly helpful to the suspension question. You are so angry at FCA that you went right out and bought another high margin vehicle from them. I'm sure your mission to destroy the Ecodiesel will be a huge success. There is a thread on here about a pentastar that failed. You should have definitely not purchased one.
Welcome to the forum....

Last edited:

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Everyone has their own thoughts and I absolutely love my new eco. I don’t care what brand of vehicle or what motor you have someone will always hate it. No regrets on mine and hopefully you won’t have any either. Tired of everyone bashing the new eco 3 considering this generation has only been out for a year.
Haters.JPG

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Jerry doesn’t know wtf he’s talking about.

Pretty customary to list your build sheet what all did you order?
Looking to do a SoCal gladiator meet up/ride in April hopefully we’ll be have our jeeps by then

UTRZRDOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Self Employed
I am not much of a poster so not sure how to download my build sheet. But is what I have is a White Rubicon Eco Diesel with every option except the smokers package and the sticker was $69340. Of course I did not pay even close to that in that the dealer was fantastic to work with. Since purchasing it I have added BFG K02 37's with AEV Borah wheels, Mopar 2 inch lift, Petal Commander, Tazer, Warn 10.0S EVO with warn winch plate, clear bra, tinted windows, innovative JK products twin ARB underseat compressor with innovatives air up/down kit and a Dometic CFX3 35 cooler. I picked it up on 11-03-20 and have enjoyed every minute of it. Even took the hard top off and ran around for a couple days in November with the soft top on. I have had diesels before and I am not anymore worried about this motor than any other gas or diesel motor I have owned. The longest I have kept any vehicle for the last 40 years is 4 years so between my wife and I we have had a few. To the tune of 21 new vehicles over the 40 years. I have owned Ford, Chevrolet, Jeep, Pontiac, Lexus and Toyota. I am not here to bash any of them in that each and everyone of them can and will have problems. Make sure you buy from a good dealer and have a great relationship with them and you will always be taken care of. If you go in looking to cause a fight on a warranty job you will have problems, but if you go in and be kind to them they will treat you with the same respect. How do I know this? I own my own retail business and have dealt with every kind of customer there is and when both treat each other the upmost respect then everything will work out. Now everyone please stop bashing the diesel or the gasser and just get along!
Sponsored