Sponsored

Just put larger tires on. Any need to reset the TCM or just adjust tire size?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi all,

I just went from 33s to 35s. It there any need to reset the TCM to set it back to defaults so it "learns" the new tires? Or just go with it?

If I should reset it, what is the best way??

I have adjusted tire size with a Tazer.

Thanks,

Don
Sponsored

pcrawfordpt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
PT
You should update the computer. Can be done by paying dealership, or by purchasing a Tazer. Tazer has more functionality, but needs to be unmarried when taking to dealership in case they make any computer upgrades. If not, the dealership computer upgrades would be lost when marry/unmarry Tazer. Therefore you would need to reset tire size every time you unmark/remarry for dealership visits. Not a big deal, but maybe more than some want to deal with. The dealership computer upgrade would be permanent. Not upgrading when going from 33's to 35's would not be the end of the world, but shift points, speedometer etc will be off.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Jscan and AlfaOBD can be used to make the changes for tires and other settings. They donā€™t suffer from the marry/unmarry issues that the Tazer does, and cost a lot less.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I just went from 33s to 35s. It there any need to reset the TCM to set it back to defaults so it "learns" the new tires? Or just go with it?

If I should reset it, what is the best way??

I have adjusted tire size with a Tazer.

Thanks,

Don
I don't think putting the transmission back in learn mode is needed. Maybe if there's a big change, like stock to 38's or 40's, but changing the tire size is all that is supposed to be necessary. Putting it back in learn mode is done to reset and try to fix it if it is having trouble finding its way in the lower gears. Learn mode is necessary when the transmission fluid is changed.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jscan and AlfaOBD can be used to make the changes for tires and other settings. They donā€™t suffer from the marry/unmarry issues that the Tazer does, and cost a lot less.
I consider the Tazer to be worth it just for the live functions.

If I wanted to use Jscan to set tire size and some other "non-live" functions, can I do it while the tazer is still plugged in??

Do I still need a security gateway bypass cable?

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I consider the Tazer to be worth it just for the live functions.

If I wanted to use Jscan to set tire size and some other "non-live" functions, can I do it while the tazer is still plugged in??

One suggestion I read is to make the changes with Jscan before marrying the Tazer. That way it sees them as part of the 'factory' setup that it restores when unmarried. I think you would still need the bypass cable and OBD module to make the changes with Jscan.

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
The Tazer will act as the security gateway bypass. Plug your bluetooth straight into the OBD port.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Tazer will act as the security gateway bypass. Plug your bluetooth straight into the OBD port.
Thanks. That's the info I was looking for.

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I have not bothered to use my tazer in the year I have had 35s. My 35s have made my Speedo closer to accurate now than it was stock, though itā€™s still off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not bothered to use my tazer in the year I have had 35s. My 35s have made my Speedo closer to accurate now than it was stock, though itā€™s still off.
That's interesting. My speedo was spot on. From 20 mph to 85 mph from day 1. It has always matched up perfectly to GPS speed on my Garmin.

I wish more people knew. It would make their lives much easier.
I kind of suspected that was the case. I'm trying to adjust my speedo using J-Scan for the least amount of money since I've already got the Tazer. I may be overthinking it. I bought the extension cables. I may just reset it every time I go to the dealer.

If there was someone local who already had the dongle and software and all I had to do was pay for a VIN license from Jscan, then it would be a no-brainer.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Thatā€™s cool. I GPS checked mine as well. I donā€™t really care, just an observation:). Is yours a ā€˜22?

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thatā€™s cool. I GPS checked mine as well. I donā€™t really care, just an observation:). Is yours a ā€˜22?
Yes. Its actually freakish how accurate it was. I was thinking that it had to be GPS corrected, but who knows.

My Garmin reads to the tenth mph and updates 6x per second, and its crazy close.

Stinggray JT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 HD Cross Bones
33 to 35s on '20 Rubicon, speedometer's off by 2.5
Sponsored