Kanati Trail Hogs, Patagonia MT, and Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
So I know it's an odd assortment but this is currently the group I've narrowed my tires list too. Like everyone, I want the aggressive tire look, but I'm trying to make sure I don't get carried away and ruin my ability to talk on blue tooth or listen to the radio since this is my DD that will spend a fair amount of time commuting on the hwy.

I like the Ridge Grapplers and they would probably do everything I need them to do. But they are significantly more expensive. Roughly $150 more per tire. I had Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on my F150 and they were excellent tires; zero road noise and would have gotten probably 65k miles out of them. But I want a more aggressive tire for the JT and I'm willing to accept more tire noise and less mileage in exchange.

The Patagonia MT's get a lot of love, especially for the price. The description is always "they're quiet... for a mud tire." So it's hard to know exactly where that falls in the spectrum. I've watched probably every video about them on YT. Though sometimes they're like "listen to how quiet they are..." and then you hear the tire humming away in the background. But maybe the camera is making the noise more pronounced than it is??

The Kanati Trail Hogs don't get talked about too much but look very similar to the GY Duratracs which seem to get good reviews. Price for these run about the same as the Patagonia's (roughly $200ea). They look to be less aggressive than the Patagonia's so they could be a little quieter?

So I'm looking for feedback on road noise and street manners. If anyone has these tires on their JT and is willing to do a sound level test, you can download a free decibel meter app on your phone and measure the sound level at say 45mph and 75mph. That would be interesting to see and compare with the stock Sport/Overland tires and the stock Rubicon tires. Actually, if anyone is willing to do that with whatever tires they have, I think that would be interesting data.
Sponsored

NateKY

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sarge Green
Occupation
Department of the Army Civilian
I run Kanati Trailhogs in a 35”. I’m not going get you a sound clip. Lol. I don’t hear them. However, I’ve never been annoyed or not liked the sound of tires. With the windows up, I don’t hear the tires at all over the radio. Windows down, the wind drowns out the radio more than the tires will.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I’m on my third set of ridge grapplers for 3 different vehicles ranging from 31’s to 37’s... they are great tire. Quiet for being a hybrid tire. On my next set of tires I’m looking at going to the milestars due to saving weight... the ridge grapplers are heavy in the 37’s

Good luck with your choice.

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
I just put a set of 37 inch milestar Patagonia Mt on my gladiator rubicon and I love them they ride great and look even better and not hardly any noise and I paid 1,080 dollars out the door

OP
OP
Scruf

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the feedback, so far good reviews on each. Not making this any easier, haha.

Sponsored

25rawls

First Name
Bj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know what size you want to run? I have 35 inch Ridge Grapplers. Super quiet and did well on the trails. I am looking to go bigger in size and am looking at Patagonias for the reason of weight saving. The 37 inch Pat is not much heavier than a 35 Ridge Grappler. I am considering a jump to 38 inch Milestars but not sure yet still deciding.

Something else that I have learned during my research and first hand is if you go Ridge Grapplers and rotate regularly you might be buying two sets of the Pats during the longevity of the Nittos. So more expensive up front but may all be relative long term if that makes sense. Hope this helps some even though this thread has some time on it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My Kumho Road Venture M/T KL71 tires are very quiet for what they are. I highly recommend them.

Wheresjigs

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Nunyabizness
I had Kanati Trailhogs in a 33 on my old wrangler and liked them a lot. They are a little bit louder then the stock tires but not overbearing. I would get them again.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I had put on Kelly Springfield safaris. A pretty aggressive all terrain. I like them at first for about 10k miles then they got progressively louder Still great off road Point is tires get louder as they age. That said I had BFG at after the Springfields in a 35 and they were great. I have always been a fan of Falken tires to. I had 88000 yeah that’s 88 on an old set of their all terrains they weren’t even all the way down to the wear bars. I bought them as a temporary tire when I had my lift put on my jkur I finally just got rid of them. It was unbelievable and then falken quit making them. They weren’t very aggressive looking but they were very good off road

Linx

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Punk’n JT
Avoid the Trail Hogs. I have 37s on my Gladiator and 2 of them have been out of round since day 1. Greenball Tire (manufacturer) has been a PITA to work with. If you want further details feel free to PM.

Sponsored

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I have the 38" Patagonias. They are quiet on the street, but must be inflated to factory specs or the tread will wear fast, and you will develop LUG CHOP. The tire is a crown tire, so you run over the center of the tire and not per the "chalk test" method.

The tires are quiet at all speeds after almost 4,000 miles, but they do increase in volume over time. Rotation must be cross rotation and not front to rear. The tpms must line up with the yellow dots on the tires sidewall.

Off Road, the tires work like they're supposed to. But, due to their relative light weight, the sidewalls tend to fail on very rocky trails per lots of personal testimonials on the Milestar Facebook Jeep group. This is where the love/hate relationship comes from with this tire.

Personally, I really like these tires, but after running without a full-size spare, I am trying to decide on a 37" spare to run underneath the bed or a 38" spare to run inside of the bed. Decisions! I haven't made many runs with these tires, but without a spare, I'm a little nervous.

Here is a picture of the tires - the technician did not align the air stems with the yellow dots, unfortunately.

OT8l7A2.jpg

ZZMenjy.jpg
RKsZeIW.jpg
N2HEaCN.jpg

kickingaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Owner - New River Offroad
I am running the 38" Patagonias on Dirty Life beadlock wheels as well and have no complaints. These are quiet but like Desert Outlaw stated, these are a crown tire that must be inflated to the factory specs. I have a friend that runs the Everyman Challenge at the King of the Hammers and he runs these on his vehicle and has not had a tire failure. His co-driver is the factory rep and when I got these he couldn't stress proper inflation enough. I will be running the spare in the bed with a bed-mounted (drill through the floor) ratchet strap mount. Got the mount some time ago but I haven't put it in the bed yet.
Jeep Gladiator Kanati Trail Hogs, Patagonia MT, and Nitto Ridge Grapplers IMG_5659

OP
OP
Scruf

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I appreciate all the replies. Those Patagonia's definitely look cool.

In the end, I pulled the trigger on the Ridge Grapplers last night. I just figured for my usage (dd), I would probably value less road noise and longer life, even if it costs a little more up front. FYI, DTD Direct is having a 2 day flash sale, extra $100 off. And then Nitto has an $80 mail in rebate through the end of the month. So that help me justify the cost, haha.

JeepnJam

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I really like these tires, but after running without a full-size spare, I am trying to decide on a 37" spare to run underneath the bed or a 38" spare to run inside of the bed. Decisions! I haven't made many runs with these tires, but without a spare, I'm a little nervous.
What did you decide? I'm putting the 38 Pats with 4.00 backspacing wheels on my Gladiator and trying to figure out where to put my spare. Did you try the 38s on the stock suspension? I have a lift coming, just seeing if it could work temporary until lift is installed.

kickingaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Owner - New River Offroad
What did you decide? I'm putting the 38 Pats with 4.00 backspacing wheels on my Gladiator and trying to figure out where to put my spare. Did you try the 38s on the stock suspension? I have a lift coming, just seeing if it could work temporary until lift is installed.
I put the Rubicon suspension on my Sport S Max Tow as well as the Rubicon high clearance fenders. With a 2" level kit in the front the 38" Patagonias fit just fine on the stock suspension.
Sponsored