Sponsored

Keeping birds away?

• Thread starter Deleted member 30519
  • Start date
  • Watchers 10

Deleted member 30519

Anyone have any good tips on keeping birds away? They destroyed my black 18 JLs paint a few years ago. By the time I figured out where they were nesting it was too late. Our parking spots are right next to the front porch and they build nests under the wood. I see them now trying fly over debris to build. I cleared it out but they are too persistent. I put up a streamer flag but it doesn't really seem to work. My JT is silver so idk if they will see their reflections like they did with my black paint. They would literally sit on my mirrors and spare tire and smash their heads into my paint like world war z zombies.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

You could put bird spikes under the porch ceiling (or wherever they are building nests).
Thanks I'll look into that. I think they are also building nests in the pine bushes right next to our spot. I feel bad trying to clean it out but I know they are gonna pull the same crap they did with my JL.

Sponsored

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks I'll look into that. I think they are also building nests in the bush right next to our spot. I feel bad trying to clean it out but I know they are gonna pull the same crap they did with my JL.
They’re pretty common. Lowe’s and Home Depot will have them, as does Amazon. Should solve the porch problem but I’m not sure about the bushes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

They’re pretty common. Lowe’s and Home Depot will have them, as does Amazon. Should solve the porch problem but I’m not sure about the bushes.
Thanks!

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
You could also staple some window screen to the bottom of the joists. But if there is any opening at all they will find it and get in.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Unless you live on a large farm, please don't have cats and put them outside, they're an absolute nuisance to your neighbors and wildlife. They fuck with the animals we want around (ducks, squirrels, songbirds, etc...) and get on their stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I love cats, they are my favorite, but they're an invasive species to the US (except some large cats in wild areas) and it's irresponsible to let them out. Not to mention when they get run over everyone gets all sad.

We had a neighbor who's cat kept spraying stuff on our property to mark territory, climb on our vehicles, attack ducks in the yard, destroy plants, and wander into our garage. We tried to speak to our neighbor about it but they didn't care. Eventually the cat was trapped and taken very far away and released.

Sponsored

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x4, bmw 330xi, jeep Gladiator willys
Occupation
Homemaker
Unless you live on a large farm, please don't have cats and put them outside, they're an absolute nuisance to your neighbors and wildlife. They fuck with the animals we want around (ducks, squirrels, songbirds, etc...) and get on their stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I love cats, they are my favorite, but they're an invasive species to the US (except some large cats in wild areas) and it's irresponsible to let them out. Not to mention when they get run over everyone gets all sad.

We had a neighbor who's cat kept spraying stuff on our property to mark territory, climb on our vehicles, attack ducks in the yard, destroy plants, and wander into our garage. We tried to speak to our neighbor about it but they didn't care. Eventually the cat was trapped and taken very far away and released.
Just a different perspective. Moved to a new house last year and turned out 3 stray cats call the backyard woods home. Small neighborhood but would guess around 10 or so around in total.

Zero problems, they keep to themselves and take care of pests. Ducks still hang out in the stream, birds still nest in the trees.

None of the problems you mentioned. Obviously those things happened to you and don't blame you for solving your problem.

Just wanted to say that hasn't been my experience in the slightest.

I would guess just how feral the stray is makes a huge difference. Our strays are no more a nuisance than the squirrels.

Not trying to argue or whatever just not my experience. Am sure they vary.

Groundhogs on the otherhand.... wish they were scared of cats...

Last edited:

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
20 gauge, bird shot. Just kidding?

What? I live in AZ. They issue you a gun, an Oldsmobuick, and a melanoma treatment punch card as soon as you move here. I felt obligated to my state to suggest superior fire power. Go team! nevermind, bad idea.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education