William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not finding the back up camera real helpful. Between it being dirty all the time and at night you add the glare. I swear it seems like every time I back up, I can barely see because of the road dirt on the lens. They give the front camera a spray cleaner.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not finding the back up camera real helpful. Between it being dirty all the time and at night you add the glare. I swear it seems like every time I back up, I can barely see because of the road dirt on the lens. They give the front camera a spray cleaner.
Why not run a line back there with an auxiliary washer tank feeding it?
I've not paid attention to see if there's room for a small windshield washer tank and pump from an older vehicle, run a looong hose back there and rig a nozzle in some way.
Heck there was a nozzle for my SX4 rear window, there is for Grand Cherokees.

Cleankat

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
You could always wash the vehicle ;)

All joking aside keep a cloth in the bed and some detail spray, give it a wipe takes 10 seconds.

KAT$JT

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
~ 2020 Punk'n Metallic Rubicon JT ~ 2019 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack ~
Occupation
Director of IT
Vehicle Showcase
That's been a complaint of mine on all my cars I've had with backup cameras. I just try and make a habit of wiping my finger across the len every once in a while as I walk up to it.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I will give you the night glare complaint, but keeping it clean is a first world problem and as already mentioned, is a few second remedy ever so often to clean it.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I will give you the night glare complaint, but keeping it clean is a first world problem and as already mentioned, is a few second remedy ever so often to clean it.
Around here that means every time you park, wipe it. Pull into a parking lot, go wipe the lens, get it home, go wipe the lens.
It's become a habit - every time I exit the truck I walk around the back - yeah, wipe the lens - no kidding.
The slush, sand, grime and crap on the road also means filling the washer fluid every week. So I buy that by the case.

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I'm going to try the rainX

It must be the location but this camera gets dirty faster than any other pick up I've owned

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
I've actually had to apply RainX multiple times, so it's a short-term application...works for a few weeks but yeah, it gets super dirty! RainX does advise applying above 40Âş

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
RainX is a product I really like - but it's worthless on that camera. I have photos to show how I applied it multiple times, then went to town and back and can show how it's caked with slush in one case, just plain dirt in another. Like the camera on other things I've owned, location location location - the rear of a pickup or SUV collects slush and dirt.
Rain sticks to it - proof in the photos I took after using rain-x. Slush sticks - again, I have a photo or two. And lately, the sand and dirt left after winter here - 10-12 miles to town, camera half hidden, barely usable. It's just how they are.
So unless you guys have a triple-duty, military/industrial rain-x product you get direct from the maker somehow - it may work for you but come here and drive 10 miles and see how it doesn't work.
Doesn't matter how many times, how I apply it, even leaving it on very wet, or applying multiple times and following the directions to the letter - doesn't stay clean and even rain droplets still gather on it.

Sponsored

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Around here that means every time you park, wipe it. Pull into a parking lot, go wipe the lens, get it home, go wipe the lens.
It's become a habit - every time I exit the truck I walk around the back - yeah, wipe the lens - no kidding.
The slush, sand, grime and crap on the road also means filling the washer fluid every week. So I buy that by the case.
Good thing I'm already use to doing this on my Ridgeline! :CWL:

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I do agree on so many of these comments.

It would have been nice to have the spray like the front. I find I use it often on the front.

Also agree it's a first world problem.

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. How often do you have to apply it?H well does it work in winter with the road brine?
I apply it every few weeks. It works better the longer it's been on the lens.

I'm afraid I can't speak to the road brine question, though ... I live in Texas, so that's NEVER an issue here! :)
Sponsored