First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle: 2020 Overland ordered May 2019, delivered July, 2019.

So, the first time I encountered this was when my Wife and I were in the Toronto, Ontario area over the weekend and after dinner, I got in the truck and it wouldn't detect the key fob. Earlier, I did use the remote start to warm up the vehicle (it was cold in Toronto) and that worked perfectly, even foot on the brake and push the start button to go from auto start to regular operation.

Came out from dinner and had issues starting. Wouldn't start the normal way and said could not detect fob in the VIC. Tried auto start from the fob and it'd start but then shut down as soon as the brake/start button was pressed.

I did get a message in the dash that said, "Place key fob against start button." I did that, a red light flashed on the fob and she started right up.

This happened again today with the OTHER key fob as I thought that maybe I just needed to replace the battery in the main fob (try to get the damned thing apart, I'm taking it to the stealership for that).

BUT, it does it with the other fob too AND will not lock or unlock the doors when the appropriate button is pressed. Again, started Jeep up by pressing against the start button, red light flashes on the fob, and no further issues the rest of my outing today (getting Thanksgiving turkey and fixin's). Locked and unlocked no issues and simply started with brake and button like it's supposed to.

Anyone ever encountered this before? I'd like to know and, what was the solution so that when I go to the stealership I can tell them both the issue and, what others had done to remedy the situation.

Thanks in advance :rock: :rock: :rock:
Sponsored

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Replace the batteries. They are both the same age whether you've used them both or not.

An idle battery loaded in a device will drain also.
beat me to the punch, I just changed the batteries in mine and wife's fob's and solved the issue, Like you our JT's were baught in mid 2019 so it's about the limit on those watch batteries

aixguru

First Name
aixguru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladitor Rubicon LE (Billet Silver)
My 2020 Rubicon started the same behavior couple weeks ago. I could remote start,lock,unlock from across the parking lot without issue but would randomly not detect the key fob for proximity locking/unlocking or starting. Replacing the key fob battery with a new Energizer Lithium CR2450 seems to have corrected the issue.

I also tested using the battery from the second unused key fob that's been stored since my August 2019 purchase. I found this one with a nearly dead battery.

I am guessing the key fob batteries are not that durable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Labswine

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Thanks all.

I'll give that a shot...if I can get the effing things apart :LOL: :LOL::LOL:

I tried yesterday to open one up to see what battery it takes and it's like trying to open King Tut's Tomb 😳😳😳 couldn't get it open 🤬🤬🤬

I'm thinking of just taking them to the stealership to get it done.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Thanks all.

I tried yesterday to open one up to see what battery it takes and it's like trying to open King Tut's Tomb 😳😳😳 couldn't get it open 🤬🤬🤬

That could be real expensive for what is.

Right next to where a key ring would go through the hole in the silver part you'll see a slot that is wider than the rest of slot running around FOB. Small straight screwdriver inserted in slot and twist screwdriver. Then cuss when all the guts come flying out after it pops open.

aixguru

First Name
aixguru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladitor Rubicon LE (Billet Silver)
Thanks all.

Same issue when attempting to replace the fob battery. There are a couple YouTube videos showing the trick to get the case open. I just Googled "jeep key fob battery".

Sponsored

Hurricane

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator-2019 wrangler unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
That could be real expensive for what is.

Right next to where a key ring would go through the hole in the silver part you'll see a slot that is wider than the rest of slot running around FOB. Small straight screwdriver inserted in slot and twist screwdriver. Then cuss when all the guts come flying out after it pops open.
My dealership installs and provides batteries for free.
Sponsored