Keyless Ignition

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Wondering if anyone else has tried this......
My buddy is in the drivers seat and I'm shotgun with the keyfob. He starts the truck, drives ahead 20ft and stops. I get out and he drives away. Drove about 200ft.... and stopped on his own accord.
Was pretty surprised. I figured something would happen once beyond the fob range.
Is this normal??
Sponsored

Krazy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 310gs
Yes if he shuts it off he cannot restart it, it would suck if you're key fob battery would go dead on the interstate and your truck would just stop.

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
Yeah, it only checks for the key at start, so you could create a situation where you strand yourself if you don't keep the key with you.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Jeep Informant did a video on the JL goofing around with a few scenarios and the key fob. I would imagine the JT is the same.

Sponsored

Choj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon
A co-workers mom has a push start in her car. Where she keeps her keys just inside the garage door is apparently close enough to allow her to start her vehicle. She drove to work and could leave for lunch because her keys were still at home. co-worker had to drive her home to get her keys.

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Informant did a video on the JL goofing around with a few scenarios and the key fob. I would imagine the JT is the same.

Good info to know but still unsettling

Sgt Jmack

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler, 1998 Chevy Silverado, 2018 Toyota Corolla
My buddy is in the drivers seat and I'm shotgun with the keyfob. He starts the truck, drives ahead 20ft and stops. I get out and he drives away. Drove about 200ft.... and stopped on his own accord.
Was pretty surprised. I figured something would happen once beyond the fob range.
Is this normal??
When I was selling cars, and the push button ignition was first introduced, I had a lot of people complaining. One story, there was a couple, the wife had the new Lexus. One day, he drove her to work in her car and dropped her off, then went to his place of employment. That evening, he got in the car, but couldn't start it. They called me and asked what they could do. Fortunately for them, I was at work and they were relatively close, so I picked up the wife and took her to where the car was.
I have many other stories about this subject matter. Like one day, three of us borrowed a friends wife's Prius. He drove the car to the airport so we could fly to Vegas. Four days later, we returned. He forgot to press the button to turn the car off. It ran/idled/charged all that time. Luckily for us, no one drove away with the car.

The only thing that really happens is that on the dashboard, there will be a warning saying that the key is out of range. Some have a low level "ding" alarm sound when it comes on. There really should be a louder sound and bigger warning.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Side note: the push button "keyless" start is RETARDED since it doesn't come packaged with Keyless Enter (which for some reason FCA has decided to name "proximity entry" on JL/JT only). If I need my keys to get into the Jeep, then I might as well use them to drive the thing too.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
It is silly that keyless entry isn't packaged with keyless start. I can understand people not liking keyless entry but I can't for the life of me understand why push to start would be such a horror, you should be bringing you keys with you anyway right?

Sponsored

SATXVolGladiator

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘89 Grand Wagoneer, ‘11 Grand Cherokee, ‘20 Gladiator on orde
My Father in law started his BMW then went back in to get something and left his keys on the counter. He and my Mother in law stopped at a gas station an hour and a half outside Houston on their way to see us in San Antonio. He had to get a cab back to their house...

Iron Wolfpack

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red Rubicon Gladiator LE, 06 Range Rover Sport, 92 E350 Tailgating Bus (Howlin' Prowler); past Jeeps - 87 YJ, 02 TJ
A co-workers mom has a push start in her car. Where she keeps her keys just inside the garage door is apparently close enough to allow her to start her vehicle. She drove to work and could leave for lunch because her keys were still at home. co-worker had to drive her home to get her keys.
It does give a visual and auditory alert when you are driving without the fob. So hopefully that wouldn’t happen.

BA7C497C-2210-4C44-8098-D276D72BC369.jpeg

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
Is this normal??
I could see stopping on an accord with stock tires--maybe 37's would work better?

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
My wife’s my13 GLK has push to start and once started it will stay on despite the key not being anywhere near the car. It does however drown you with a persistent key not detected warning that will not go away.

In the event the fob batteries totally die, you just pop the push to start module out and insert the IR key like normal.
Sponsored