Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2022 MK8 GTI
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cube Monkey
Dealer told me new keys are on nationwide back order, so I got one from a company in GA. It is not programmed or cut.
Dealer will not program because it didn’t come from them and say they have no ability to laser cut the key.

now what?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Try a locksmith. The dealer has to provide a VIN and order from the factory. They do the laser cut and send it to the dealer to pair with the Jeep. The cost is about $300.

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst
Dealer told me new keys are on nationwide back order, so I got one from a company in GA. It is not programmed or cut.
Dealer will not program because it didn’t come from them and say they have no ability to laser cut the key.

now what?
I think it’s one thing for a dealer to want to safeguard their revenue stream from doing “free“ services as a course of standard business; however, in the case that they are unable to provide you a spare key due to supply chain issues that we are all aware of, i do believe that they should be willing to compromise and assist with the programming to meet their overarching mandate of supporting a product that they sell. I myself would be agreeable to a nominal fee for such a service, but I would certainly be my own best consumer advocate for a workable solution other than them essentially telling me to go pound sand. Some manufacturer dealers have or used to have what’s called a zone manager who was a factory representative on the service side of the house. So, I’d be curious how the service / parts manager attempts to reconcile a new solution once you begin to ask to be put in touch with the zone manager Or their equivalent.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
WTH is wrong with Jeep. These keyfob been out for awhile now. It appears that manufacturers are treating their products like throw away items nowadays, short of repair parts even before covid. I know Honda dealers cut/programs key for free or a small fee, requires just registration and DL.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer is not doing it to protect their 'revenue stream'. They have an outlined procedure to follow to get a new FOB with a cut key. They have no control over the supply, or how long it takes for Jeep to send the replacement FOB.

Would you want the employees at the local Jeep Dealer to have the ability to make a duplicate FOB for your truck while it is sitting in the Service Bay?

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
FCA treated suppliers like garbage and leaned on them to reduce costs because Sergio thought suppliers were getting excess profits. It's no surprise that resupplying parts to Jeep would be a low priority for these vendors that service multiple manufacturers.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
The dealer is not doing it to protect their 'revenue stream'. They have an outlined procedure to follow to get a new FOB with a cut key. They have no control over the supply, or how long it takes for Jeep to send the replacement FOB.

Would you want the employees at the local Jeep Dealer to have the ability to make a duplicate FOB for your truck while it is sitting in the Service Bay?

It's not like what you're thinking. The cutting machine are usually in the manager's office and operate by one person. As for key duplicating, it's no different if the tech duplicating it during a test drive.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff

tjk

First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Fed
My local Ace quoted me $60 to make the key itself (not program the fob,) and you had to use their blank.

Kevin
thanks for this info, I’m interested in getting a key cut to unlock the door, but don’t need the fob itself.
Sponsored