First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
I’m stuck in analysis paralysis. Full rack, half rack, tonneau, no tonneau, XL RTT over the cab, regular size below the roof...UNCLE.
So I think I should just go with a half rack or bars with brackets that allow the factory tonneau to stay put. With that in mind, can you but two small kids in a regular size RTT with two adults if you put them perpendicular? I’m thinking heads close together, adults the long way, kids the short way? Anyone done it?
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I’m stuck in analysis paralysis. Full rack, half rack, tonneau, no tonneau, XL RTT over the cab, regular size below the roof...UNCLE.
So I think I should just go with a half rack or bars with brackets that allow the factory tonneau to stay put. With that in mind, can you but two small kids in a regular size RTT with two adults if you put them perpendicular? I’m thinking heads close together, adults the long way, kids the short way? Anyone done it?
Depends how tall everyone is. A 4 person tent might work for you but they're pretty huge and will require hanging over the cab.

DBoogieC

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR, 18 JKU
Build Thread
Link
What tent are you looking at? We have a CVT Shasta. It’s tight but can sleep 2 with 2 littles ones.

OP
OP

GladnotSad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
I haven’t decided on a specific tent yet. Ideally I won’t have to go over the cab or hang over the tailgate. Also this is our first foray into overlanding and my wife may end up hating it or me so not looking to break the bank on a hard shell tent yet.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t decided on a specific tent yet. Ideally I won’t have to go over the cab or hang over the tailgate. Also this is our first foray into overlanding and my wife may end up hating it or me so not looking to break the bank on a hard shell tent yet.

OMG - if you and your wife haven't camped out in the boonies before I'd suggest you not buy a RTT and go with a ground tent instead. Camping & off roading is not for everyone. Take a break from your analysis paralysis and go out and do it and see how much she and the kids (and you) are into it.

Sponsored

DBoogieC

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR, 18 JKU
Build Thread
Link
A soft shell would be a cheaper and would save some bed space regardless of your rack situation.

OP
OP

GladnotSad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
OMG - if you and your wife haven't camped out in the boonies before I'd suggest you not buy a RTT and go with a ground tent instead. Camping & off roading is not for everyone. Take a break from your analysis paralysis and go out and do it and see how much she and the kids (and you) are into it.
I’ve camped my whole life on the ground and my two boys really want to. My wife hasn’t but if she hates it, I’ll simply need a smaller tent. She’s totally ok with us going alone but obviously I’d like to include her as much as possible.
Sponsored