Last Minute questions

MTDIRK

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
I am close to buying a JT Rubicon so have been reading a few threads. Currently driving a 2018 diesel ZR2. Before that I had a 2012 JKUR on 37s. Before that was an 06 LJ Rubicon also on 37s. I hate the chevy and the diesel and miss driving a jeep. My last 2 jeeps went all over AZ, UT, NV, CO, MT, WA. Naturally that was before kids. Now I have a toddler and I am lucky if I camp 3 weekends a summer with another 4-5 day trips.

Since I haven't stayed up on the JL forums since trading my JK, my original plan was to start researching now and plan to buy in April or May, but now I got the bug. Surprisingly I found a used JT at a local dealer that isn't my favorite color but has all the options I want plus a few I haven't made up my mind on. I was hoping you guys who have been driving could comment on the factory options.
Rubicon
Launch Edition
Automatic
Premium Audio Group - On my JK I preferred the downgraded GPS to the premium stereo
LED Lighting - Is this worth an extra $1,000? I had truck lites LED on JK and liked them. Can't see anything in ZR2.
Safety Group - Are the sensors in the bumpers?
Advanced Safety Group - Same concern about sensors in the bumpers if I decide to switch.

only plans for mods are winch, outlet for fridge, and mirrors for taking the doors off.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have an Overland with the 8.4 Uconnect and Premium Audio with Alpine speakers. I also have the factory LED lights. I believe both options are worth it, the audio is great. The lights are nice and bright, and much better than what came on my old Silverado. The sensors are in the tail light housing. If it has the FCW or ACC, the radar and camera are in a box behind the rear view mirror. The ACC is great for traveling.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I agree with Bill above. Given your stated purpose, the auxiliary switches are another great option. I’ll add that there is zero reason to use onboard gps if you have a smart phone. CarPlay with a smart phone and Maps is far superior and with the 8.4 is better than the set up in my 2019 Porsche Cayenne that was twice the cost. None of the sensors or cameras are in the front bumpers, so bumper upgrades are easy (there are some optional sensors in the rear bumper). With the stock front plastic bumper, you can upgrade to the bumper of your choice for the same or less cost that the optional steel bumper. Same with wheels, particularly if you plan to go with 37s. I’m sure you have read the threads on gearing and 37s, so if that is important to you 35s might be a better choice. Congrats and have fun, some of your toddlers best memories will come from time spent with dad camping and over landing.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
there is zero reason to use onboard gps if you have a smart phone. CarPlay with a smart phone and Maps is far superior
Question: Will the phone/Maps continue to work if in an area with no service/coverage?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Question: Will the phone/Maps continue to work if in an area with no service/coverage?
The Uconnect NAV system will work in areas with no cellular service, since the maps are loaded in the system. The maps on the phone will only work in areas with no cellular service if you download the offline map for the location in advance.

Sponsored

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator JT, '77 SJ: Cherokee Chief, '06 LJ
Occupation
High Speed Al tubing manager
your question about nav working without cell coverage got me to thinking.

i've never had a vehicle with carplay, this is my first. is there a nav app, i.e. gaia, maps.me, that is CarPlay compatible that would allow nav with no cell but still work via gps?

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
No idea. I just find it enlightening that folks will say there is "zero reason" for on board navigation when one can use their phone; then I look to see where they live and it is invariably large cities, lol. In KY, I wander into plenty of places where there isn't cell coverage and I don't even own a Jeep!

On the other hand, maybe a phone can do it without prior downloading of maps. I'm not gonna rely on that! Bear in mind, I'm technologically disadvantaged. :)

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
They are making after market bumpers that have the holes for the Safety sensors. Just may not have as much variety.

BlueCT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I have the same truck you noted above, the launch edition. I believe it comes with every option. I love it. What are they asking for it used. In NJ the launch edition was way over sticker and then came done a bunch. I believe I got mine about 5k under sticker. I believe I paid 56 and change. There are still new ones on lots I believe and you can probably get them for 52-53 outside of the northeast and Cali. Its a great truck. I love mine if you get a good price get it, if you are a Jeep guy you will love it.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
your question about nav working without cell coverage got me to thinking.

i've never had a vehicle with carplay, this is my first. is there a nav app, i.e. gaia, maps.me, that is CarPlay compatible that would allow nav with no cell but still work via gps?
Yes. The iPhone has GPS (i.e. not reliant on wifi or cellular). Just download your maps in advance of your trip.

Sponsored

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
Why don't you like the diesel?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Why don't you like the diesel?
I was going to ask him the same question.

I test drove a ZR2 Duramax before getting my Gladiator and I hated the Chevy for multiple reasons, but I'm curious... what is it that you hate about it?

OP
OP

MTDIRK

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Thanks for the responses everyone. In regards to the diesel. First thing I hate is the pedal lag. Supposedly that got better in 2019. In my JK no matter where I was driving if I hit the gas it started accelerating. In the Chevy if I put the pedal to the floor its like first it turns off the gas then waits 3 seconds to kick in.

I also hate that every time I fill up I have to scrub my hands because every diesel pump handle is covered in fuel. I also dislike that diesel is 30-40 cents more per gallon.

I did like 21 mpg and 450 miles per tank. It did dip to 18/19 on a trip from Denver to Missoula doing 85 with 40-60 mpg gusting winds. For the most part my mpg never changed.

The emission system is ok at first. Super quiet and no smell. After 30K it has gotten louder and when I park in garage I can often smell the diesel exhaust as I walk by the truck to go inside.

DEF fluid is fairly cheap and lasts 8-10 weeks with routine driving. I have had the dealership top off the DEF twice and both times I had to take back because I got a DEF injector error. Usually was a 1 day fix, but they are always a week out on scheduling.

I just don't feel it is worth the extra cost and I have yet to find a situation where I thought I was glad I had the extra torque instead of the JK.

The ZR2 does drive well off-road and rock crawls better than I expected. However the interior has no room and once you get used to all the little storage areas in a jeep you are spoiled for life.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I use CarPlay on my 8.4 and strictly use google maps... why you ask??? Because you can download offline maps on your phone and it tracks you with no problems via gps. Also the maps update with the latest information ( I do that while I’m home on WiFi) ... oh did I leave out saying I drive all over Colorado up to north Dakota and in between.... the con is that google maps doesn’t have any or very few trails on them. That’s a big disappointment.

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S “sold”, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
Thanks for the responses everyone. In regards to the diesel. First thing I hate is the pedal lag. Supposedly that got better in 2019. In my JK no matter where I was driving if I hit the gas it started accelerating. In the Chevy if I put the pedal to the floor its like first it turns off the gas then waits 3 seconds to kick in.

I also hate that every time I fill up I have to scrub my hands because every diesel pump handle is covered in fuel. I also dislike that diesel is 30-40 cents more per gallon.

I did like 21 mpg and 450 miles per tank. It did dip to 18/19 on a trip from Denver to Missoula doing 85 with 40-60 mpg gusting winds. For the most part my mpg never changed.

The emission system is ok at first. Super quiet and no smell. After 30K it has gotten louder and when I park in garage I can often smell the diesel exhaust as I walk by the truck to go inside.

DEF fluid is fairly cheap and lasts 8-10 weeks with routine driving. I have had the dealership top off the DEF twice and both times I had to take back because I got a DEF injector error. Usually was a 1 day fix, but they are always a week out on scheduling.

I just don't feel it is worth the extra cost and I have yet to find a situation where I thought I was glad I had the extra torque instead of the JK.

The ZR2 does drive well off-road and rock crawls better than I expected. However the interior has no room and once you get used to all the little storage areas in a jeep you are spoiled for life.
I have to agree with a few things for sure. I had a 2016 Diesel Canyon, in 40 months I managed to put over 109k miles.

First thing I learned about the diesel is that driving it like a gas engine was not very exciting for sure, but if you rolled into the peddle it would get up and go sneaky fast.

mid you punched it like a gas engine then you got to hear what a lot of rpm sounds like with no results... not much after 2800rpm really.

Your pet peeve with the diesel pump I can understand whole heartedly, however I started using leather gloves to fill up gas vehicles way before I did with diesel. Yes, if you fill up with diesel be prepared to have oily ass diesel on your hands at pretty much every pump. With gas pumps I found years ago that i knew what cologne or perfume the last person that used the pump was wearing. I don’t wear cologne and can’t stand to have someone else's on my hands so I began wearing leather gloves before owning a diesel.

I had a canyon not a Zr2 or anything like that, I had a 2” lift and ran 265-65-17 and got 550-600 miles on almost every tank before filling up unless I was pulling my 16’ tandem with my buggy then I would get around 17mpg... I get about 10.5 in my Glady.

I like the diesel but I was always nervous that something emission wise would go wrong. It didn’t, however the torque converter issue is a different story.

I love my Glady and I really like the 8 speed and price of gas. SMILES PER GAL with it instead of just MPG.
w
Sponsored