First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Well keep us posted if they find anything conclusive...but I am suspecting they will just gues sand replace the axle shaft assembly. I would love for FCA to find the definitive root cause. Mine continues to leak after being replaced once already. I am not going to bother taking it back in for awhile until there are possible signs that they have found the actual cause.
So after calls to FCA Chrysler, they are ordering a new right rear axle assembly...lol...they will invite me back after the part arrives and did not give me a timeline, just said they will call me. They are a large high volume, reputable dealer, so I guess I wait and see what happens. I did speak with the shop foreman and he has curiosity about it and said they will try to figure out the cause, as well as repair it correctly. Guess we will see.🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No, and they even tried to tell me it wasn't leaking when I took it in until I insisted and told them I had photos of the leak.
I encourage everyone who suspects a leak to take detailed photos, even pull the wheel and take photos you can't get otherwise. And use your finger or a white cloth to show - yes, it's LUBE - not water.

ZSum73

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Registered Nurse
No, and they even tried to tell me it wasn't leaking when I took it in until I insisted and told them I had photos of the leak.
Mine was apparent when they looked at it today. They did say it seems to be a slow leak and let me drive away until parts are in.

Sponsored

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if I'm just lucky or what, but checked AGAIN today, no leaks, build date on sticker is 2-21, current mileage of of 5 minutes ago is 9859. JTR gas auto.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was apparent when they looked at it today. They did say it seems to be a slow leak and let me drive away until parts are in.
Unless you see drops of lube or see that it's slung around, it's going to be fine.

Take 4 ounces of any oil or lube and slowly pour it over any sheet of steel or even concrete - slowly, let it spread, and see how far it goes. If 4 ounces was being slung about by your wheel it would be everywhere - dripping, and coating your wheel, tire, shields, even up in the fender well area and it would leave drops. And yet - 4 ounces of lube removed from the rear axle assemble - the differential housing, would not make it "low".
I think the rear takes 4.75 pints.
There are 2 cups in a pint. So 4 pints is 8 cups. There are 8 ounces in a cup. So 64 ounces in 4 pints, another 6 ounces in that last .75 pints. 68 ounces of fluid if my 4.75 pints is correct. It wouldn't miss 2 ounces, and yet 2 ounces would make a terrible mess. My point being that if it's leaving spots on the wheel or the shield, and MAYBE one on the floor, you haven't even lost an ounce out of 68. It's not low.
(and if the dealership says it's ok - but it's not, it's on them)

ZSum73

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Unless you see drops of lube or see that it's slung around, it's going to be fine.

Take 4 ounces of any oil or lube and slowly pour it over any sheet of steel or even concrete - slowly, let it spread, and see how far it goes. If 4 ounces was being slung about by your wheel it would be everywhere - dripping, and coating your wheel, tire, shields, even up in the fender well area and it would leave drops. And yet - 4 ounces of lube removed from the rear axle assemble - the differential housing, would not make it "low".
I think the rear takes 4.75 pints.
There are 2 cups in a pint. So 4 pints is 8 cups. There are 8 ounces in a cup. So 64 ounces in 4 pints, another 6 ounces in that last .75 pints. 68 ounces of fluid if my 4.75 pints is correct. It wouldn't miss 2 ounces, and yet 2 ounces would make a terrible mess. My point being that if it's leaving spots on the wheel or the shield, and MAYBE one on the floor, you haven't even lost an ounce out of 68. It's not low.
(and if the dealership says it's ok - but it's not, it's on them)
I've wiped it out few times, but it is slung around the rim and there's always a drip hanging off the back of the brake shield, after q drive it pools a bit more and once dripped down the tire to the driveway. But yes, I don't think I've lost much. To me it seems to leak most after a drive and it sits. Doesn't seem to be leaking a lot when driving. It pools after a drive and it's parked.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
We are on our way home after our trip to Ouray, still have 520 miles to go. I was looking under the truck at the last gas stop and it appears I have a leak on the right wheel seal. Fun. Based on @ShadowsPapa post I think I am safe getting home, but do you have any advice on checking at the next gas stop to try to confirm that?

Has anyone had issues at the dealership getting this replaced when running an aftermarket lift.

pwrdbyjp

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Macks Toe
Occupation
Diesel Technician
I actually found my leak in the process of installing my Clayton 2.5 Overland Plus lift. Explained it at the dealer, they confirmed and ordered the parts. This was on May 25th. Parts just arrived yesterday and I have a service appointment next Wednesday for the install.

Sponsored

NCLife

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
We are on our way home after our trip to Ouray, still have 520 miles to go. I was looking under the truck at the last gas stop and it appears I have a leak on the right wheel seal. Fun. Based on @ShadowsPapa post I think I am safe getting home, but do you have any advice on checking at the next gas stop to try to confirm that?

Has anyone had issues at the dealership getting this replaced when running an aftermarket lift.
I had the same issue. Unless the inside of your rim is swimming in oil, you're fine. It's a slow leak.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
That is all it is at this point. Thanks.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue. Unless the inside of your rim is swimming in oil, you're fine. It's a slow leak.
Yup-- it takes a whole lot of lube to coat a wheel. Anyone who has spilled oil on anything (me? No, not me, never.... yeah, right) knows how far a couple of drops of oil spreads on things.
Unless it's slung around the wheel and you stop and see a couple of drops on the ground, should be good.
It would take a pretty good leak and time to get enough lube out that axle tube to lower the level enough to be an issue.

Basically one can pull the fill plug (1/2" drive ratchet?), stick their pinky finger into the hole and bend it down and if you touch lube with only the first joint in there it's fine. Even going in to the next joint should be fine because that ring gear tosses the fluid around, up and through channels to the pinion bearings and so on.

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Haven't seen MDH#s posted lately. What is your MDH# It's on a sticker on driver door b pillar(month, day, hour). Earliest in thread with leak is 10-12-2020, latest is 4-23-21.

pwrdbyjp

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Macks Toe
Occupation
Diesel Technician
Just got mine back from the dealer, replaced the passenger side axle shaft assy. Will keep a close eye on it, hopefully it doesn't come back!
Sponsored