Leaking axle seal?

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 BTS Willys JT on order
Occupation
Car Sales
Replacement axle shaft is here. Now if they can just get my jeep in the shop to change it.
Advertisement

NodrogRide

First Name
Jackie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Patient Registration
The part came in and got the Jeep "fixed" Monday. When I picked it up it already looked like there was a drip happening.
Woke up to this.
IMG_20211125_094705893.jpg

Looks suspiciously like another leak 🤦🏼‍♀️
IMG_20211125_094718481.jpg

KW80

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Ltd, 2021 JT Sport S Diesel
The part came in and got the Jeep "fixed" Monday. When I picked it up it already looked like there was a drip happening.
Woke up to this.
IMG_20211125_094705893.jpg

Looks suspiciously like another leak 🤦🏼‍♀️
IMG_20211125_094718481.jpg
Either they did a shitty job cleaning up or that didn’t fix the leak👎

NodrogRide

First Name
Jackie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Patient Registration
Either they did a shitty job cleaning up or that didn’t fix the leak👎
My husband and I both looked at the seal area when we came back to the shop to get it, and they definitely did not clean it initially. Must have misplaced their funnel that day. I wouldn't sign their paperwork until it was cleaned and I told the service team that it looked like it had already been leaking... "Oh that's just over spray of the cleaning products"... Sure guy 🙄 I already sent the pictures to my Jeep Wave case manager. Guess we keep getting shit parts until there is a recall 🤷🏼‍♀️

Rptr00

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator willys
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
When I discovered my leak it was about 1000 miles after my free Jeep wave oil change. They rotated my tires at that time. I found oil all over the inside front tire. This tells me the leak was there when they did the service. It should have been identified then but nothing was said by the techs. I highly recommend everyone who had a repair thoroughly inspect and demand its cleaned before leaving

ZSum73

First Name
Zeke
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Mine was fixed at 750 miles and they seemed to clean it up well visually, but a couple weeks later there was a layer of axle lube and dust on the back of the brake shield, but no active leak like before into the rear of the rim. I washed it off with dawn soap and gave it a good cleaning at the carwash with degreaser and rinsed it all thoroughly and has been nice and dry since. Maybe some residual from repair? A few others had the same issue for a few weeks after repair until they cleaned it up really well themselves.

elbluemen

First Name
Hector
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2021
Occupation
Engineer
2021 Willys, built Dec 2020. Noticed leak at around 12k miles. Took to dealership mid August and have been waiting for parts since with no ETA after 2 months. Took it in for oil change early last week and fluid has made it to brakes, dealer advised to get with Jeep Wave since it’s become a safety issue and they did not have loaners but that we could get a rental through Jeep. Called Jeep Wave soon after and were advised they would get back to us within a couple days with a resolution. Didn’t hear back so after a few calls and a week later finally got a hold of rep and got approval to rent a car, will have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed when repairs are done on the Gladiator which at this point we dont know how long that will take.
Parts came in a few weeks ago and dealer was able to replace axel in a day, unfortunately it’s leaking again! What a mess this has been. Now parts on order again and again fluid has made it to the brake pads or maybe the pads were never replaced. Either way going with a different dealer now. Also Jeep is making a fuss on the reimbursement for the rental, now saying since it only took one day to replace the part then only one day of rental is applicable, disregarding the whole safety issue with fluids in the pad. Super disappointed in how this whole thing has gone down.

steveorama

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Well today is the day the right rear axle is finally getting replaced on my '21 JTO. Fingers crossed I'm done with warranty work for a while. I also have them fixing the popping sound from the front end for the lower control arm TSB too at the same time.

I found the leaking seal issue back in August and had to wait until the middle of September just for an appointment to get it checked out. The assembly was ordered 9/20 and arrived last week 11/22. I was scheduled for today 11/29. So right at two months for the part to come in.

glassjawkid32

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Well today is the day the right rear axle is finally getting replaced on my '21 JTO. Fingers crossed I'm done with warranty work for a while. I also have them fixing the popping sound from the front end for the lower control arm TSB too at the same time.

I found the leaking seal issue back in August and had to wait until the middle of September just for an appointment to get it checked out. The assembly was ordered 9/20 and arrived last week 11/22. I was scheduled for today 11/29. So right at two months for the part to come in.
Do you have a number for the control arm tsb?

Mojave2021

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Knocking very hard on wood but so far the full rear axle housing replacement (part 68422837AF) is holding up much better than the prior 2 right axle only repairs. Wheel is nice and dry after a few hundred miles and a couple long road trips.

steveorama

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Do you have a number for the control arm tsb?
The only number I'm finding is "TSB 02-004-21" in a post from October. I'm not certain if that is it or not. I had seen it mentioned before that there was a TSB for the popping here on the forum and on the FB groups. I don't recall what the number was on those, but when I was speaking to my service advisor, I asked if they could take a look while they had my Jeep at what was causing the popping up front during slow turns. I didn't even get to mention there was possibly a TSB for this as he knew right away what it was and said he would take care of it. Apparently it's even more common then the leaking axle seal. He said he had two Jeeps in last week with the under torqued ball joints that had the same symptoms.

I don't have anything on my service ticket showing it other than;
"Customer states there is a popping noise when turning slowly from the front of the vehicle.
Popping sound coming from lower ball joint on front axle. Verified nuts are under torqued need to tighten to proper specs and retest.
Torqued lower ball joints to spec and short drive to verify repairs."

As far as the repair goes the front popping seems to be gone so that did the trick. I see the new cotter pins so they at least touched the castle nuts. I'll have to wait and see on the fix for the rear axle leak. I was disappointed they didn't clean up all of the oil residue though. When I got home last night I got out the degreaser, a scrub brush, and a hose and I cleaned it all down so I can see if there is any future leaks. I could of pressed the issue I guess, but this has been my 4th visit to the dealership since June (6 months) so I'm getting tired of going there.

Hootbro

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only number I'm finding is "TSB 02-004-21" in a post from October. I'm not certain if that is it or not. I had seen it mentioned before that there was a TSB for the popping here on the forum and on the FB groups. I don't recall what the number was on those, but when I was speaking to my service advisor, I asked if they could take a look while they had my Jeep at what was causing the popping up front during slow turns. I didn't even get to mention there was possibly a TSB for this as he knew right away what it was and said he would take care of it. Apparently it's even more common then the leaking axle seal. He said he had two Jeeps in last week with the under torqued ball joints that had the same symptoms.

"Customer states there is a popping noise when turning slowly from the front of the vehicle.
Popping sound coming from lower ball joint on front axle. Verified nuts are under torqued need to tighten to proper specs and retest.

As far as the repair goes the front popping seems to be gone so that did the trick. I see the new cotter pins so they at least touched the castle nuts. I'll have to wait and see on the fix for the rear axle leak. I was disappointed they didn't clean up all of the oil residue though. When I got home last night I got out the degreaser, a scrub brush, and a hose and I cleaned it all down so I can see if there is any future leaks. I could of pressed the issue I guess, but this has been my 4th visit to the dealership since June (6 months) so I'm getting tired of going there.
The TSB in question is to re-torque the the lower ball joint on the steering knuckle for a popping sound. Has nothing to do with the control arms.

Attachments

glassjawkid32

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

Thank you 👍

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 BTS Willys JT on order
Occupation
Car Sales
Mine is in the shop right now getting the axle shaft replaced and the ball joint TSB done. I hope all the noise I've been hearing is just from the old bearing.

Jeep_willysJT

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
@JeepCares Had my axle fixed at 6800. Looked at it tonight here at 8300 and the axle is leaking again. Taking into dealership tomorrow.

Advertisement

Advertisement