LED Headlight Bulb Swap (Quick and Easy DIY) Halogen -> LED Bulbs

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
Here is my pictures/summary of the installation process for changing the lights in as little time and with as little tools as possible. My impressions are at the end for the LEDs I used.

(I forgot socket sizes, I'll edit those in later)

Loosen the air box metal compression ring

Jeep Gladiator LED Headlight Bulb Swap (Quick and Easy DIY) Halogen -> LED Bulbs 20200902_151004

Remove the bolts holding the air box assembly (x3)

Jeep Gladiator LED Headlight Bulb Swap (Quick and Easy DIY) Halogen -> LED Bulbs 20200902_151037

Jeep Gladiator LED Headlight Bulb Swap (Quick and Easy DIY) Halogen -> LED Bulbs 20200902_151312

Jam your hand into the airbox and lift straight up, pull hard, you won't break anything.
Jeep Gladiator LED Headlight Bulb Swap (Quick and Easy DIY) Halogen -> LED Bulbs 20200902_151424

Make sure you didn't lose the x2 rubber boots on the bottom of the airbox, reattach if they did.
Jeep Gladiator LED Headlight Bulb Swap (Quick and Easy DIY) Halogen -> LED Bulbs 20200902_151446

It's between 1/8 and 1/4 turn to remove the rear of the headlight housing. Make sure the ring is in good condition (no cracks / crimps / pinches / warped / dry)
Jeep Gladiator LED Headlight Bulb Swap (Quick and Easy DIY) Halogen -> LED Bulbs 20200902_151515

Slide this white connector out. It DOES NOT COME OFF. This will allow you to pull the bulb out.

Jeep Gladiator LED Headlight Bulb Swap (Quick and Easy DIY) Halogen -> LED Bulbs 20200902_151710

Jeep Gladiator LED Headlight Bulb Swap (Quick and Easy DIY) Halogen -> LED Bulbs 20200902_151712

The bulb holder (is that what this is called?) has 3 connecting tabs, one of which is slightly different and makes sure you put the bulb holder back in position correctly based on orientation. Two pictures below show the tabs.
Jeep Gladiator LED Headlight Bulb Swap (Quick and Easy DIY) Halogen -> LED Bulbs 20200902_151903

Jeep Gladiator LED Headlight Bulb Swap (Quick and Easy DIY) Halogen -> LED Bulbs 20200902_151906

Now stuff that new LED bulb in, or in my case, the whole new LED bulb assembly into the housing. If it has a rectifier for the LED, you can also stuff that into the housing behind the metal bulb shroud. Here's a look inside the housing. The center with the 3 tabs is where the bulb goes and the bulb assembly locks into the housing. This is the reflective metal surround and you can tuck wiring or rectifiers back here before putting the weather sealing housing cap back on.
Jeep Gladiator LED Headlight Bulb Swap (Quick and Easy DIY) Halogen -> LED Bulbs 20200902_151919

Put the cap back on the back of the housing that had the silicone sealing o-ring.

The airbox rubber boots sit inside these holes.
Jeep Gladiator LED Headlight Bulb Swap (Quick and Easy DIY) Halogen -> LED Bulbs 20200902_151500

Put the x3 bolts back in for the airbox assembly, but before tightening down the metal gasket ring make sure the alignment holes and notch are matched up.
Jeep Gladiator LED Headlight Bulb Swap (Quick and Easy DIY) Halogen -> LED Bulbs 20200902_154316

Success.

I bought the S-V.4 from Headlight Revolution on sale and yes, they are far brighter than stock. However, they are not as impressive in real life. The beam pattern doesn't cover as wide in front of you as what I've seen on the factory LED option. In hindsight, I would have gone for a cheaper option for a LED bulb swap since you won't get similar performance to LED housings designed from the ground up for LED's.

20200902_151249.jpg

20200902_151252.jpg
Sponsored

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon
Any issues installing the driver's side? My winch makes removing my grill mot possible. Also, did you have to use a programmer to get the bulbs to work correctly or is it really plug and play (read mixed things).

OP
OP

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Drugs
Any issues installing the driver's side? My winch makes removing my grill mot possible. Also, did you have to use a programmer to get the bulbs to work correctly or is it really plug and play (read mixed things).
Completely plug and play, no programming needed.

Driver's side did not require removal of anything.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Great write up. I love when other people take the time and step by step things like this. Makes it so much easier for those who are gonna do the same things in the future.

Sponsored

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed SV.4 headlights and foglights. Had to pull the grill off to get the driver's side headlight...got tired of fighting for space.

Need to figure out an option to upgrade my DRLs.

OP
OP

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Drugs
Installed SV.4 headlights and foglights. Had to pull the grill off to get the driver's side headlight...got tired of fighting for space.

Need to figure out an option to upgrade my DRLs.
I'm in the Sport S w/ 7" radio and max tow. I had no issues with space. Do you have a package or some other electronics getting in the way of the rear of driver side headlight?

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in the Sport S w/ 7" radio and max tow. I had no issues with space. Do you have a package or some other electronics getting in the way of the rear of driver side headlight?
No...probably just too clumsy to get it done like you! I tried for a bit but ended up pushing the reflector loose from the headlight housing and had to remove the headlight to be able to pop it back on the clip. I pushed too hard trying to get the LED driver and module in the headlight cavity.

Have you upgraded your DRL?

Sponsored

OP
OP

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Drugs
No...probably just too clumsy to get it done like you! I tried for a bit but ended up pushing the reflector loose from the headlight housing and had to remove the headlight to be able to pop it back on the clip. I pushed too hard trying to get the LED driver and module in the headlight cavity.

Have you upgraded your DRL?
So far I've only updated the headlights. After a lot of driving, ~3k miles since install, these are all the brightness you really need. If you need any brighter you'd be better off installing additional light pods.

I do have the bulbs to replace all the rest of the lights but haven't had time to do it.

The side marker lights I've also replaced because they came with the headlights as a promo. But I'm going back to stock on those when I find time again. They're a smoked lense but the bone stock factory ones are already LED and the amber is nicer looking and brighter.

Three Jeeper

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Comanche
Occupation
Beach
If I understand correctly, you just updated to LED's bulbs and you did not have to use a Tazer, JScan or ECRI like system? No programing needed? What LED headlight/fog bulbs did use?

I have Sport S with conventional halogens presently.

Vicegrips

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
not gainfully employed. Too old, been there done that.
If I understand correctly, you just updated to LED's bulbs and you did not have to use a Tazer, JScan or ECRI like system? No programing needed? What LED headlight/fog bulbs did use?

I just traded out halogen bulbs for led replacements in fogs and headlights (You stand no chance as I cast "HIkari Eye of Megatron"! Ha ha!). Aftermarket front bumper and winch made grill removal complicated. I just popped the air box out (2 minutes), passenger side clear. Driver side already unobstructed.

I bought resistor/canbus/anti-flicker modules, but both fogs and headlights seem to be working fine without them, and I haven't seen any unpleasant messages on the display. We'll see...

If there are problems, I'll try adding the modules. If computer business is involved, I'll probably buy a Tazer-like device.

OP
OP

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Drugs

No aftermarket programing needed. LED bulbs should just be plug and play.
The stock LED option from the factory does require a dealership trip or aftermarket canbus tuner.

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Great information. I too have the sport S with Max Tow and looking at doing these along with fogs and the DRL's as well.
Thanks for sharing. Bonus knowing I don't need a tazer or anything to re-program. My 2017 Ram gave me all sorts of DIC errors (back up bulbs, out etc) even though I used ones that were supposed to have the resistors built in.
Sponsored