TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you interested in toppers, it looks like Leer finally put out their initial offering.

I personally don't think this is a very flattering angle for the Gladiator, so I'll save my judgment until after I see some more pictures. At this point though, I think whoever offers a fiberglass reinforced shell first will get my money.

Jeep Gladiator Leer Topper For The Gladiator Jeep Top.PNG
Sponsored

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I've had Leer on my last two trucks ... the last one I was constantly fighting the latches on the glass hatch. The hatch would latch fine and then it would not .... wasn't super impressed with the system for what I paid.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I may eventually want something like that for my JT - not now, but at some point. It'll be interesting to see what the different companies come up with over the next year or so. I think that one pictured looks pretty good with the black hard top.

I recently saw what looked like a fiberglass shell on a JT as it went by me on the interstate last week. I didn't get a good enough look at it to see any branding, but maybe it could have been one of those. If so, it looked great in person.

MTNBIKR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLJT; 2019 JLU
Occupation
Shepherd
I may eventually want something like that for my JT - not now, but at some point. It'll be interesting to see what the different companies come up with over the next year or so. I think that one pictured looks pretty good with the black hard top.

I recently saw what looked like a fiberglass shell on a JT as it went by me on the interstate last week. I didn't get a good enough look at it to see any branding, but maybe it could have been one of those. If so, it looked great in person.
I've seen the ARE cap in person. Looks really good. Amazingly good. I saw it in colormatched white, like below. I have a the black hardtop, so I haven't seen how well the unpainted cap matches. I considered buying one, but it's very pricey so I went with a tonneau cover for now. But maybe someday...

Jeep Gladiator Leer Topper For The Gladiator 1597951111991

Sponsored

Hazmar

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S
I am looking for a body color cap and so far only see Leer and ARE. Let me be more specific to save people time suggesting Alucap and the like- no offense, they all look cool, but only the factory Jeep cab extension look is what I'm after- Anyone find any others?
Both the Leer and ARE look good, but both have flaws or options issues that I'm not sure I can get over (for that kind of coin). The ARE has the functional options I need, most importantly side "windoors"; fully opening popup side windows for access. They lack an overhead "Leer-Locker" like option, but surely that could be fab'd. Big thing I don't like here is the profile; the forward leaning camber (for lack of better word) of the back end of cap:
Jeep Gladiator Leer Topper For The Gladiator ARE cap pic - Copy

I think a more vertical, squared off profile as on the wrangler would be a much better (factory) look.

The LEER on the other hand, does not appear to have fully opening side windoors on their model, which is a total deal killer, unless the brochure i found is old or inaccurate:
Jeep Gladiator Leer Topper For The Gladiator LEER options

... the LEER site sucks-- the build/customize tool has no pics of options and many options allow you to choose but say "not available on all models, check with your dealer"...
The LEERs' appearance is better and worse- it does have the vertical back, but appears to have a radius'd front that doesn't match the JT cab. Difficult to tell for sure- can't find many pics, but it doesn't look like a uniform gap- as if they used the cap from another truck...
Best pic i could find:
Jeep Gladiator Leer Topper For The Gladiator LEER cap pic

Looks ok with the black top, but I bet would look sloppy with body color. Could it be by design- to allow for hardtop removal? can someone speak to this?
Anyone who has either of these, or any other body-matching style cap, please post as many pics and critical reviews as possible.
Thanks

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Check out the RSI SmartCap. There are some threads in the topper section. I put in a pre-order for one. They are supposed to be available at the end of October. I currently have a soft tri-fold tonneau cover.

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Saw a Leer cap on a JT in a parking lot today, looked really good, it was black not body color.

Afireman

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I ordered mine in black (factory flat) on 9 December. Should be here any day. This will be the 5th 100XQ I’ve owned, loved every one before it. The side windows did not slide open, but they did open out about 1-2” at the back bottom corner and were screened inside. Enough to get some air flow but that’s about it. I’m not excited to lose the ease of removing my hard top, but I can imagine it would look stupid anyway with a topper and no top. I need the utility aspect so it’s the price I have to pay. I’ll be sure to gets some pics up when it shows.

Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone found a retro fit cap that fits? I see bed cap / toppers for sale all over that are used but nobody post dimensions. The closest size I see is a Chevrolet Colorado. $3000 is too much for the twice a year I would want it.

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
Has anyone found a retro fit cap that fits? I see bed cap / toppers for sale all over that are used but nobody post dimensions. The closest size I see is a Chevrolet Colorado. $3000 is too much for the twice a year I would want it.
I have not really begunb research yet (my gladiator is still on order....so I can't even take measurements yet lol) but I too am looking for a workable solution for maybe 4x per year. That RSI cap and others look great....but yeah $3K+ is not in my budget for that amount of limited use. I am just looking for function and not at all concerned about it "not looking good" for the few days it is installed. So far I am just planning on whipping up a plywood topper to meet this need, but if i could find an "ok fit" alternate for maybe $300 or less it would save me the construction time.

Afireman

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I believe the bed size is relatively standard, but it would be less a matter of a top that fits, and more of how good it looks, the lines, design, color, etc. If you’re only using it a couple times a year and it’s not staying on the truck, have you considered the Bestop soft topper? Sells for $850ish. Won’t necessarily keep contents as ‘safe’ from theft as fiberglass, but Jeeps seldom do.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
The outside of the bed rails are roughly 62" wide. The length is about 64" to the back edge of the tailgate. If anyone knows of a similar size and would like to share the make and model it would be appreciated.

I think the plywood topper idea might me a good idea. Everything else is so dang expensive.

GladnotSad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
Twice a year? Buy a tarp.
Sponsored