Let’s talk headlights! Halogen vs LED vs HID vs aftermarket vs retrofit (and more!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
hidprojectors

hidprojectors

First Name
Tom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU
I installed the Supernova V4s last night and got them dialed in. The light cutoff looks fine to me, and I had my wife drive the truck while I drove her car and there were zero problems with scatter.

18868A21-0BC4-486D-AD8E-B6FC95D56421.jpeg
That output looks pretty poor. What are your thoughts? I may need to order some of these to do a LUX test.

Advertisement

OP
hidprojectors

hidprojectors

First Name
Tom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU
Looks like the factory bulbs but brighter to me. What looks poor about it?
The overall output looks quite dim and there doesnt appear to be any width. The camera settings could play apart in this but here's a comparable picture of our projector's output to show you a visual difference. I'll order a pair and do a full test on these with LUX reading, pics and some supportive data.

vsHIDprojectors.jpg

Phinneywood

First Name
Evan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
The overall output looks quite dim and there doesnt appear to be any width. The camera settings could play apart in this but here's a comparable picture of our projector's output to show you a visual difference. I'll order a pair and do a full test on these with LUX reading, pics and some supportive data.

vsHIDprojectors.jpg
Ahh gotcha. The image is exposed for the brightest part of the hotspot. This underexposed the rest of the image, especially near the edges. I’ll grab a shot using averaged metering for an exposure that more closely matches what a person sees.

Will be interested to see results of your research. My concern about going halogen to LED was beam pattern and light scatter, but that’s not an issue with these bulbs in the Gladiator housings. Getting the whiter light color and much-brighter-than-stock output, all safely and for $160, is a bargain in my book.

OP
hidprojectors

hidprojectors

First Name
Tom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU
We dont have a favorite brand when it comes to LUX meters. The key is to use the same meter for all your testing so your results remain as consistent as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.