Sponsored

Let's talk about window tint (a small guide)

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen multiple threads about window tinting and plenty of them have questions. It seems there is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding when it comes to window tint as well as things that you might just not know. So I'm here to help you through it. In my over 20 years of driving, I have owned over 21 vehicles and every single one of them have had the windows tinted. It's a must here in Houston as the summer sun will absolutely beat you to death with heat inside a vehicle. I am not an installer, just an informed consumer who is here to spread some knowledge.

• First things first - PRIVACY GLASS IS NOT TINT! Say it with me now - PRIVACY GLASS IS NOT TINT! Privacy glass is what our Gladiators have on the rear windows and rear window. Privacy glass is glass that is smoked darker from the factory. It offers absolutely no heat rejection or UV rays protection (more on that later). I see a lot of people ask on every car forum I've ever been on what % tint to tint the front windows to match the rear. If this is for cosmetics and you don't care about actually making the temperature of the interior of your vehicle cooler, then by all means, match it up and go. If you're looking for something more, read on...
  • Tint comes in many different forms/grades/percentages/manufacturers and they are not all the same and the quality vs. price will show that. I've had vehicles done with cheap tint ($100 whole vehicle) and I've had vehicles done with expensive tint ($800 whole vehicle) and the difference is amazing. I currently have 3M Crystalline on the Gladiator and Black Max Carbon on my wife's 4Runner. Both of these have high heat rejection values and high UV ray protection. Why does that matter? Well, the more heat rejection, the cooler it is when you get in the vehicle after it's been sitting in the sun all day or if you're driving, the less your air conditioning has to work to keep the cabin cool. In both of our vehicles, on a 95 degree day outside, I can set the climate control to Auto and 75 degrees and the A/C fan is on low to low medium. UV protection matters when it comes to protecting the materials inside the vehicle such as plastics and leathers. The less UV rays the tint lets through, the less damage these materials take over the life of the vehicle.
  • We all know tint laws vary by state so I won't cover that too much but what I will say is that most tint places will tint your windows to whatever darkness you want because it ultimately lies on you to follow the laws. For instance, if you want to match the factory "privacy glass", you will need to go about 20% on the front windows. In most states, this is illegal. Most states are somewhere in the 30% to 35% range with some going into 50% and even some saying none at all. However, if you tint over the privacy glass in the rear (which you should if you want maximum protection from heat and UV rays), and you do it with 20% tint, the back is now closer to 5% and you will need to go darker on the front to match. Still further, if you decide to tint the windshield, which is illegal in most states unless you have a medical exemption, the fronts and rear will look much darker than they normally would because of how little light is actually being let in to the cab. All things to consider if you live in an area with overzealous police officers or you live in an area that requires annual vehicle inspections.
I hope this helps someone who is not familiar with window tinting or someone who always had questions but were too afraid to ask. Just for reference, here is my Gladiator with 3M Crystalline tint 20% on back and sides and 3M Crystalline windshield tint 70%. It was close to $800 to do it and to me worth every penny.

JVYo0y0h.jpg
Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Did you get the slider done as well. You’re right about the tint. I can drive across Arizona in my car at 90 degrees with just my fan on high because I have llumar premium film all the way around. The ac will freeze me out 5 minutes after turning on the climate control. Worth it.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Thanks for the write up! So my understanding is that you did 5% on your front windows to match the 20% tint you added on your back window on top of the factory privacy glass? Is there a significant difference in heat rejection and infrared protection between 20% and 75% tint? Let's say I'm using the same 3M Crystalline tint film as yours.

OP
OP
Ted Striker

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the write up! So my understanding is that you did 5% on your front windows to match the 20% tint you added on your back window on top of the factory privacy glass? Is there a significant difference in heat rejection and infrared protection between 20% and 75% tint? Let's say I'm using the same 3M Crystalline tint film as yours.
I only did 20% all the way around, front and rear. It looks darker in the picture because I tinted the windshield 70%. As far as heat rejection, I wouldn't say it's a significant jump between 20% and 75% but it's a steady incremental increase. The heat rejection and UV protection is more about the kind of film you get vs. how dark you get it.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
I only did 20% all the way around, front and rear. It looks darker in the picture because I tinted the windshield 70%. As far as heat rejection, I wouldn't say it's a significant jump between 20% and 75% but it's a steady incremental increase. The heat rejection and UV protection is more about the kind of film you get vs. how dark you get it.
Gotcha so your back windows look like 5%. Looking from outside, is it noticeably darker than the front windows? I'm thinking about doing something similar, 70% tint on windshield, 20% tint on front windows, and 50% on back windows. I'm hoping with this combo it won't look disproportionate

Sponsored

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
Isn't there clear (no tint) film that blocks UV and helps with heat? That could go on the back windows, right? I might be imagining things.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
Isn't there clear (no tint) film that blocks UV and helps with heat? That could go on the back windows, right? I might be imagining things.
You could always go very light, like 70-85% or something on a high quality film like Suntek CXP or 3M crystalline. We did my wife's Audi Q5 (4 side windows, 2 small sail windows, and the rear windshield) for $279 or something with Suntek CXP

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
I've been thinking about an almost clear ceramic tint for the windshield, but I've read some reviews that it might increase glare at night.
@Ted Striker , do you have any recommendations for clear windshield UV protection? I understand the clear film is still illegal in some states. I don't want the slightest bit of darkness on the windshield to give an officer a reason to write me a ticket.

OP
OP
Ted Striker

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've been thinking about an almost clear ceramic tint for the windshield, but I've read some reviews that it might increase glare at night.
@Ted Striker , do you have any recommendations for clear windshield UV protection? I understand the clear film is still illegal in some states. I don't want the slightest bit of darkness on the windshield to give an officer a reason to write me a ticket.
If you have adaptive cruise control, I would not install ceramic. Ceramic has been known to cause interference issues with electronics. This is one of the reasons I went with carbon on my wife's 4Runner due to the antenna being placed on the window. I'm unsure about totally clear windshield protection, but they do make a 90% which is pretty much indistinguishable from clear. As far as glare, I have not noticed any whatsoever on my 70%, but then again, I have perfect eyesight so not much bothers me.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
This is what I would like to do.

What would be a good "clear" percentage on the rears and a "normal" tint on the fronts to aesthetically match? It sure doesn't seem like the OEM privacy glass is at 20%. Was hoping for 30%.

Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
This is what I would like to do.

What would be a good "clear" percentage on the rears and a "normal" tint on the fronts to aesthetically match? It sure doesn't seem like the OEM privacy glass is at 20%. Was hoping for 30%.
Probably around 35% to match OEM privacy glass. Personally I'd put around 20% on the front and tint the rears to match the front. There's no heat benefit from the factory rear tint like you'd get with a good film

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Probably around 35% to match OEM privacy glass. Personally I'd put around 20% on the front and tint the rears to match the front. There's no heat benefit from the factory rear tint like you'd get with a good film
I don’t need another reason to be pulled over, so I’d like to avoid going too dark. Hoping to put something like a 70% on the rears to achieve some heat rejection and UV protection and something like a 30% on the front would result in an aesthetic match yet functional all around.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
I don’t need another reason to be pulled over, so I’d like to avoid going too dark. Hoping to put something like a 70% on the rears to achieve some heat rejection and UV protection and something like a 30% on the front would result in an aesthetic match yet functional all around.
That's true. Good call

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon, CRX Del Sol Sir, AP1 S2000
For those interested I just tested the rear glass with a light transmittance meter and it came out to 22.0, 22.2 and 22.2 for the 3 tests I ran. 25% tint on the front would be the closest match considering glass filters 3-9% light depending on thickness (windshields more than door glass).

KentuckyCatFan

First Name
Nina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Hydro Blue Overland
I've seen multiple threads about window tinting and plenty of them have questions. It seems there is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding when it comes to window tint as well as things that you might just not know. So I'm here to help you through it. In my over 20 years of driving, I have owned over 21 vehicles and every single one of them have had the windows tinted. It's a must here in Houston as the summer sun will absolutely beat you to death with heat inside a vehicle. I am not an installer, just an informed consumer who is here to spread some knowledge.

• First things first - PRIVACY GLASS IS NOT TINT! Say it with me now - PRIVACY GLASS IS NOT TINT! Privacy glass is what our Gladiators have on the rear windows and rear window. Privacy glass is glass that is smoked darker from the factory. It offers absolutely no heat rejection or UV rays protection (more on that later). I see a lot of people ask on every car forum I've ever been on what % tint to tint the front windows to match the rear. If this is for cosmetics and you don't care about actually making the temperature of the interior of your vehicle cooler, then by all means, match it up and go. If you're looking for something more, read on...
  • Tint comes in many different forms/grades/percentages/manufacturers and they are not all the same and the quality vs. price will show that. I've had vehicles done with cheap tint ($100 whole vehicle) and I've had vehicles done with expensive tint ($800 whole vehicle) and the difference is amazing. I currently have 3M Crystalline on the Gladiator and Black Max Carbon on my wife's 4Runner. Both of these have high heat rejection values and high UV ray protection. Why does that matter? Well, the more heat rejection, the cooler it is when you get in the vehicle after it's been sitting in the sun all day or if you're driving, the less your air conditioning has to work to keep the cabin cool. In both of our vehicles, on a 95 degree day outside, I can set the climate control to Auto and 75 degrees and the A/C fan is on low to low medium. UV protection matters when it comes to protecting the materials inside the vehicle such as plastics and leathers. The less UV rays the tint lets through, the less damage these materials take over the life of the vehicle.
  • We all know tint laws vary by state so I won't cover that too much but what I will say is that most tint places will tint your windows to whatever darkness you want because it ultimately lies on you to follow the laws. For instance, if you want to match the factory "privacy glass", you will need to go about 20% on the front windows. In most states, this is illegal. Most states are somewhere in the 30% to 35% range with some going into 50% and even some saying none at all. However, if you tint over the privacy glass in the rear (which you should if you want maximum protection from heat and UV rays), and you do it with 20% tint, the back is now closer to 5% and you will need to go darker on the front to match. Still further, if you decide to tint the windshield, which is illegal in most states unless you have a medical exemption, the fronts and rear will look much darker than they normally would because of how little light is actually being let in to the cab. All things to consider if you live in an area with overzealous police officers or you live in an area that requires annual vehicle inspections.
I hope this helps someone who is not familiar with window tinting or someone who always had questions but were too afraid to ask. Just for reference, here is my Gladiator with 3M Crystalline tint 20% on back and sides and 3M Crystalline windshield tint 70%. It was close to $800 to do it and to me worth every penny.

JVYo0y0h.jpg

JVYo0y0h.jpg
Great information. A local company has tinted my last 3 vehicles using 3M Ceramic tint. It has very high UV protection. I will be using them for my JT tint. Louisville, Ky Xclusive auto detailing and tint is the company.
Sponsored