Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician
So I've noticed more and more gas stations nearby offering E-15 89 octane gas for about 5c cheaper than regular 87 octane gas.
Now I know we're not supposed to use E-85 ethanol in the JT but does anyone know anything about using the E-15? Haven't used it yet but saving 5c a gallon would be nice on top of some tiny power gains.
Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So I've noticed more and more gas stations nearby offering E-15 89 octane gas for about 5c cheaper than regular 87 octane gas.
Now I know we're not supposed to use E-85 ethanol in the JT but does anyone know anything about using the E-15? Haven't used it yet but saving 5c a gallon would be nice on top of some tiny power gains.
Here is the info form the Owner's manual. Seems like a pretty solid NO

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 1.51.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 1.52.39 PM.png

OP
OP
arosen1997

arosen1997

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician
So that mentions not greater than E-15, however the fuel I'm seeing available is E-15. Wording seems somewhat ambiguous. :movember:

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So that mentions not greater than E-15, however the fuel I'm seeing available is E-15. Wording seems somewhat ambiguous. :movember:
Iā€™d stay away from it. Not worth it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
arosen1997

arosen1997

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
E-15 has been around a long time now. It is ok to use in any typical vehicle. True performance engines and fuel systems can be more restrictive for obvious reasons.
That said, I donā€™t use it if I have a choice. Iā€™ve had a few flex-fuel vehicles over the years. My experience leads me to consider the ethanol thing a total farce. Donā€™t worry about the E-15 being a boundary value. Iā€™ve had to use E-15 a lot over the years just because ā€œE-0ā€ was not available. While I donā€™t fear it, I am happy to pay a bit more to get the pure stuff when I can.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
So you would pay 2.5% less money for 5% less gas? That's not good math. It doesnā€™t make any ā€œcentsā€...
It does appear that the manual allows for the use of E15, but nothing with greater concentration of ethanol, or any fuel with methanol.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Your gas mileage may go down with E15, negating the cost savings at the pump. Also, ethanol "attracts" and absorbs water, so it could be an issue in a humid area.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Maybe @JeepCares could shed some light?
Thanks for reaching out to us, arosen1997. Regarding what fuel is appropriate to use in your JT, I found this in the 2020 owners manual:

"DO NOT use E-85, gasoline containing
methanol, or gasoline containing more than
15% ethanol (E-15). Use of these blends may
result in starting and drivability problems,
damage critical fuel system components,
cause emissions to exceed the applicable
standard, and/or cause the Malfunction
Indicator Light to illuminate. Please observe
pump labels as they should clearly
communicate if a fuel contains greater than
15% ethanol (E-15)."

Hopefully this clarifies that E-15 is not recommended as a selected fuel. If you would like more information on this subject, you can find it here: https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...Gladiator/P111104_20_JT_OM_EN_USC_DIGITAL.pdf

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

Deleted member 28696

I had a flex fuel Suburban and gas prices went sky high almost $5 per gallon back then. I started filling up with E-85 but since ethanol has a lower energy content it ended up being more expensive overall, you have to fill up more often it doesn't take you as far etc. The hoses etc. on that vehicle were specifically designed for e-85 use, I wouldn't chance using it in a vehicle that hasn't been converted or designed to use it.

I just found this tidbit using google search regarding e15

E15 has been certified for use in any gasoline-powered car with a U.S.-certified emissions system from 2001 or newer, whether itā€™s flex fuel or not. To be clear, 90 percent of all vehicles on the road today fall into this 2001-and-up category, so chances are thatā€™s your vehicle. Many people have used it in older cars too, but use in 2001 and newer has been tested and approved by the Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy. Older models were not tested due to variability and age.

Source: https://vitalbypoet.com/stories/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-e15

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
50k truck and your trying to save 1$ per tank of gas ?

If you fill up once a week, that's $50 per year.

Seems a bit futile.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
50k truck and your trying to save 1$ per tank of gas ?

If you fill up once a week, that's $50 per year.

Seems a bit futile.
What I was thinking too.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Thanks for reaching out to us, arosen1997. Regarding what fuel is appropriate to use in your JT, I found this in the 2020 owners manual:

"DO NOT use E-85, gasoline containing
methanol, or gasoline containing more than
15% ethanol (E-15). Use of these blends may
result in starting and drivability problems,
damage critical fuel system components,
cause emissions to exceed the applicable
standard, and/or cause the Malfunction
Indicator Light to illuminate. Please observe
pump labels as they should clearly
communicate if a fuel contains greater than
15% ethanol (E-15)."

Hopefully this clarifies that E-15 is not recommended as a selected fuel. If you would like more information on this subject, you can find it here: https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...Gladiator/P111104_20_JT_OM_EN_USC_DIGITAL.pdf

Kathryn
JeepCares
Perhaps my reading comprehension is lacking since I went to public schoolā€¦.buuuuttttā€¦..

it says to not use fuel GREATER than 15%.

correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but this implies you CAN use E-15.

@JeepCares

#publicschoolfailedme
#hookedonphonics
#jeepcarescantread
Sponsored