Let's Talk Winches

macho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Firefighter
I'm looking to put a winch on the front of my rig and wanted to hear y'all's opinions on what brand / model to go with. Is it really worth it to spend double the price to get a Warn?
Cheers
Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Just had the Smittybilt 9.5 Gen 3 installed its really an improvement over the 2nd Gen but to be honest I wish I bought the Badlands 12k winch at Harbor Tool and Freight during Christmas. I have 5 friends who have it and they rave about it and have used it a lot.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have the warn zeon platinum 10s. I like the remote free spool and lock up and the extra speed of the Platinum. I also like that my ultrahook cannot be stolen since there is no free-spool release lever. However, the remote battery life is not good.
I also like the filler plates from Maximus-3 for all the Warn Zeons and the OEM bumper. They hide everything and give a little more protection to the winch.

Jeep Gladiator Let's Talk Winches JK6fyW

Jeep Gladiator Let's Talk Winches zqXTTP

Sponsored

MCATDT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Apex 12K all the way. Fast line speed, full wireless remote capability with wired option if battery dies, and pulls hard. I got it for under $400 which is 1/3 of the Warn price. I have spared no expense on my build and even I could not justify paying the Warn price.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I also like that my ultrahook cannot be stolen since there is no free-spool release lever.
Something I had not thought of and something that makes dropping that kind of coin that much harder to swallow. Maybe I'll just buy some actual rigging gear that isn't so recognizable as Factor 55.

PicklesJ

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT-S/MT &'10 Wrangler JKU-S
Occupation
Retired (military & civil service)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a serious rock crawler, so 12K would be overkill - I'd rather get the lightest winch possible to minimize impact on the front suspension (already adding weight with a bumper replacement). Also, it would be great to have one that is easy on/easy off, so I could swap it between JK and JT (no need to have 2 winches sitting on bumpers!).

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Usually the only difference between 10k and 12k winches of the same brand is the planetary gearing. Many times it’s the same motor, so a 10k will have faster line speed. I’ll leave the brand vs. brand to everyone else, as there are lots of viable options these days.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I'm not a serious rock crawler, so 12K would be overkill - I'd rather get the lightest winch possible to minimize impact on the front suspension (already adding weight with a bumper replacement). Also, it would be great to have one that is easy on/easy off, so I could swap it between JK and JT (no need to have 2 winches sitting on bumpers!).
You could put a winch on a hitch tray and have custom bumpers built, but you would likely wind up with more money in fabrication than the 2nd winch would cost.

Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Smittybilt XRC gen 3 winches have been outperforming warns in a lot of professional reviews. Definitely the most bang for your buck.

As to size, i went for the 12k vs a smaller for several reasons:
  • price wasn't all that more, all things considered than a smaller unit
  • weight wasn't that much different either.
  • I'd rather have the capacity and not need it.
  • When pulling out of mud, snow, or water, there is a vaccum effect that you have to overcome. Best practice is to use a 1.5x multiplier to your weight. I figured the 12k was the way to go.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Smittybilt XRC gen 3 winches have been outperforming warns in a lot of professional reviews. Definitely the most bang for your buck.

As to size, i went for the 12k vs a smaller for several reasons:
  • price wasn't all that more, all things considered than a smaller unit
  • weight wasn't that much different either.
  • I'd rather have the capacity and not need it.
  • When pulling out of mud, snow, or water, there is a vaccum effect that you have to overcome. Best practice is to use a 1.5x multiplier to your weight. I figured the 12k was the way to go.
What’s the weight of your JT?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
You could put a winch on a hitch tray and have custom bumpers built, but you would likely wind up with more money in fabrication than the 2nd winch would cost.
And weight... 10k winch carriers are like 50lbs on their own and you typically end up with more weight on the bumpers since they have to be reinforced to handle all that stress with a 2.5" square tube instead of spread out over a larger plate that spans the frame rails.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I have the warn zeon platinum 10s. I like the remote free spool and lock up and the extra speed of the Platinum. I also like that my ultrahook cannot be stolen since there is no free-spool release lever. However, the remote battery life is not good.
I also like the filler plates from Maximus-3 for all the Warn Zeons and the OEM bumper. They hide everything and give a little more protection to the winch.

JK6fyW.jpg

zqXTTP.jpg
Two ways to steal it with no free spool lever. Fastest way would be just razor blade your synthetic line at the Factor 55 pin, where the synthetic line is exposed.
I thought like you initially, but figured if someone wants it I don't want to replace both synthetic line and Factor 55 flatlink.
Plus if your out wheeling and your remote runs out of battery or gets damaged you have no more winch.
The regular Zeon you can use the wired remote if the wireless stops working.

TheSharksDen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
for the little cost difference from a 9.5k to 12k load, I did Smittybilt comp series with synthetic. Took under an hour to install. $700 from 4WP, if your in Charlotte,NC go to Keffer Jeep and see Norman the parts manager, I got mine for $600.

winch.jpg
Sponsored