notsure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
i'm a jeep man, but been looking around while i wait a bit

a nice wrangler jl is 50+
a nice lexus 4wd gx is 50+ and lexus quality

if they made a 2-door, i'd have to consider it. but tbh, i'd really like to see wrangler quality come up
Sponsored

dfwmountainbiker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 (TJ) Wrangler
Up in Denver metro, those GX are well respected - but expensive to wheel. They don't wheel as well, but The Fast Lane did a run up goldmine hill with it. worth a watch.

parrotheadphan

First Name
Mike (aka Kirk)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Firecracker Red, 3.6l, 8 spd auto
Occupation
Digital arts & photography teacher
Vehicle Showcase
The GX is nice looking and I am sure the comfort inside is great. However, I think I would rather put my money in a Wrangler.

Bay Sailor

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon

if they made a 2-door, i'd have to consider it. but tbh, i'd really like to see wrangler quality come up
To me, these are entirely two different vehicles. You need to decide if you want a luxury SUV or a brawny off road machine that has been updated with a stellar interior. To me, the Lexus is somewhat boring....no one is going to notice it....it will just pretty much blend in with all the upscale SUV out there these days. I have a JLUR and I can't get gas without someone coming up saying what a nice jeep it is.

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
The GX is nice looking and I am sure the comfort inside is great. However, I think I would rather put my money in a Wrangler.
A nice looking Lexus? WTF :cwl:

My JL Wrangle shares garage space with a Lexus LC that replaced a GX recently, very nice long term dependable vehicles, but there is no way Lexus could have made their whole lineup frontends any uglier. You would think there is no way all involved in Lexus would intentionally allow this frontend design to make it to production, especially across the whole lineup, but they did and they are in demand and they sell very well. :headbang:

My wife just cannot understand why anyone would want to drive a Jeep Wangler.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
This comparison is worse than comparing cats and dogs. Nothing in common and an entirely different target customer
Both are great ... gx or JLU, cat or dog. We have a qx56 and a wrangler and a cat and a dog :like:

upload_2018-10-26_22-18-8.gif

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
Sigh. I get it. Me? I’m a Lexus man myself. I only settled on a JL because the GX doesn’t come in a two door trim with easily removable top and doors, countless customization and modification options, and serious off-road cred—like decades upon decades of off-road experience. I just want something more unique and capable than anything Lexus is making. I’m not even sure why I’m here explaining this and should probably go over to the GX forum to explain how disappointed I am with a vehicle I don’t have. That’s the only way Lexus will change.

Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I dunno that it's completely apples to oranges--replace the front fascia and gut the rear bumper out, add a lift and some big tires, and you've got a competent off-roader. I know, I know, who'd do all that to a new car?! :facepalm:

Now, do you get the lockers and whole she-bang with a Rubi? No. And that's where the comparison really falls apart. To get to a fair comparison, you're comparing a base GX against a well equipped Sahara. If you want the same features as a well-equipped Sahara, the GX is more--sure, the GX gets better options, but you can buy a couple of 2 door Sports for one decked out GX. And, moreover, Sahara's are wonderful vehicles, and do really well for most tasks, but there is no Rubi equivalent GX trim, just progressively more massively overpriced luxobarge options.

In a fair fight, GX won't make you worry about steering or rusty frames, but it will cost you more. And you lose all the charisma points. :jk:

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
A nice looking Lexus? WTF :cwl:

My JL Wrangle shares garage space with a Lexus LC that replaced a GX recently, very nice long term dependable vehicles, but there is no way Lexus could have made their whole lineup frontends any uglier. You would think there is no way all involved in Lexus would intentionally allow this frontend design to make it to production, especially across the whole lineup, but they did and they are in demand and they sell very well. :headbang:

My wife just cannot understand why anyone would want to drive a Jeep Wangler.
I’m with you, the Lexi front ends are the ugliest, most hideous I’ve ever seen. When they first came out all the Japanese execs were hi fiving themselves because they were so pleased with themselves. Evidently the front is an homage to a spool of thread, from the roots of the company. I get the homage, but you couldn’t give me a free one if I had to look at it every day.
Long live wranglers!

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T

Before placing an order for a JL, I also considered a VW Golf R. You have to decide what you want more, just because you want two different kinds of cars that are priced similarly doesn't mean they compare.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Before placing an order for a JL, I also considered a VW Golf R. You have to decide what you want more, just because you want two different kinds of cars that are priced similarly doesn't mean they compare.
I’m similar ... my cross shop included below in order of likelihood
1. GTI, new
2 accord, new
3. 535 used (turned in a 15 535 lease to buy sport s)
4. GS350 used
5. A4 used.
I was all over the place but in the end, wanted a fun car for the family that was reasonably priced for my 7000 miles/yr. Jeep is hitting mark so far and that’s without getting top off yet (bought in mid sept)

Luvmejeeps

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport. 2004 TJ
Id rather have a grand cherokee trailhawk than the fugly front ended lexus with terrible approach,breakover,n departure angles.
Jus my 2 cents
Sponsored