First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
We know that the diesel adds 400 pounds to the Wrangler and that Jeep is changing the OEM suspension to accommodate the extra weight. I am thinking they will do likewise for the Gladiator and that working out the details of all of this might account for some of the time it is taking to get the diesel JT released. My question is this: Will diesel JT owners need different lift kits than gasoline vehicle owners in order to maintain optimum performance? I know many lifts compensate for the weight of bumpers and winches, but we will have those too, so we will still have an extra 400 pounds on top of everything else. So, will there be diesel specific springs and shocks and the like? Will the limited market make it hard for diesel owners to have the range of lift kits options the gassers will have? I really have no idea how hard it is to make springs and shocks and whether it is a big deal for manufacturers to have a lot of different designs that are slightly different. Thoughts?
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I agree. Spacer lifts are the way to go on gas models, and will definitely be the only way to go with the diesel. It'll take the aftermarket a long time to offer coil springs that are properly tuned for the weight.

I think the engine is 400 lbs. heavier but then you've also got the DEF tank, pumps, lines, skid plates, etc. So the total added weight may be much more.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
When I added a 2” lift to my F-350 to level it out I found out that the spring rate is indeed higher for the diesel option and I would assume it to be the same on the Gladiator.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Suspension is going to be different between the gas and diesel models same as it is on all other brands.

Sponsored

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
This is concerning. I hope EVO manufacturing is in the game in time for the diesel JT. I plan to get one of theirs.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
The big boys will need 6-8 weeks to figure out a spring and shock combo. They’re getting a head start with diesel JLs any day now I’d imagine

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I talked to Rock Krawler today and they said they would definitely have a different lift kit for the diesel. They are hoping to get the diesel JL any day and they will develop a kit for it and will do the same for the diesel JT when they can get their hands on one. So, we may not have a lift kit on day one, but we will get one optimized for the diesel. I suspect the other major lift manufacturers would give a similar response.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Here's what's wild:

I took a well optioned Ram EcoDiesel crew cab 4x4 across the scales today. It was 5,420 lbs. with no occupants and only a small amount of personal items inside.

With the JT Rubicon clocking in at 5,100 lbs. already, that would seem to indicate that FCA's midsize diesel truck will weigh more than their full size with the same engine.

Weird.

The lift kits will be stiff I'm guessing. How will a diesel Jeep be as flexible offroad?

Screenshot_20200303-193331_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20200303-103349_Messages.jpg

Sponsored

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Here's what's wild:

I took a well optioned Ram EcoDiesel crew cab 4x4 across the scales today. It was 5,420 lbs. with no occupants and only a small amount of personal items inside.

With the JT Rubicon clocking in at 5,100 lbs. already, that would seem to indicate that FCA's midsize diesel truck will weigh more than their full size with the same engine.

Weird.

The lift kits will be stiff I'm guessing. How will a diesel Jeep be as flexible offroad?

Screenshot_20200303-193331_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20200303-103349_Messages.jpg
Nice truck BTW. That`s one reason the Gladiator diesel will have a low tow rating.

1herm4

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Anyone is SoCal looking for a lift, check out fabtechmotorsports.com they are looking for a diesel JT to test fit.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
Anyone is SoCal looking for a lift, check out fabtechmotorsports.com they are looking for a diesel JT to test fit.
Gonna be hard to find, they don't exist yet.

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
Seems there is an EcoDiesel spec Mopar Lift for JL. I assume the JT ecodiesel will be available around the time of delivery...other aftermarket will likely have to wait a little while but not long as they have the geometry already sorted and have JL diesels to determine engine weight.

https://www.moparonlineparts.com/sku/77072399ae.html

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have pretty much decided to let the dust settle a while before I do a lift just so I can see what comes out and how people like them. I don't see a clear path forward on the whole wheel/tire/lift/belly pan decision for my use case.
Sponsored