Sponsored

Lights for ditch, sides, and rear (Baja Designs)

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
looking for input. A fan of Baja Designs. I have 4 XL80's up front on my JT, and 3 on my TJ. They work wondrous!

Installing ditch lights, side lights, and rear lights. Curious about others input/experience - pictures of what you have at night to show lighting pattern would be super helpful as well.

Ditch Lights
I currently have the S1's on my TJ. I have not been in the dark to use them to see their performance. But they are listed at 2,375 lumen. I'm curious if that will be sufficient or if it would be better to step up to the Squadron Sport or Pro which is 3,150/4,600 respectively

Side Lights
The S1's again put out 2,375 lumens, the S2's put out 2,450 lumens. I suppose it doesn't really matter which direction one goes? Do you find this is enough light on the sides of a dark trail, or is more necessary?

Rear Lights
Currently thinking a pair of S1's or 2's for directly behind, with another pair of like lights but angled more to the side (like when backing and turning...). Not on the same switch. Again, do you find more light is necessary or is this sufficient?

For mounting of side and rear lights - what did you do? Options are mounting on the roof rack, or directly bolting to the canopy itself. Each option has it's pro's and con's. Curious to see how others did this.

Night shots with similar lights would be helpful :)
Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The S1 appears to be a spot pattern? You’d want a flood or wide pattern for ditch/side lights. As for output, lumens don’t tell the story as well as lux, candela, and beam width which I’m not seeing on Baja’s site.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
want a flood or wide pattern for ditch/side lights. As for output, lumens don’t tell the story as well as lux, candela, and
The S1's have a spot, wide cornering, and work/scene (like a flood) lenses available.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Oooooh this is right in my wheelhouse. I've got 10 Baja Design lights on my Jeep. Let me grab you some photos

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Alright, so I've got a few that kinda show how they are mounted. Unfortunately I didn't find any that show the light patterns except for the one where you can see the fogs hitting the ground, but I'd be willing to take a video for you if you want!

Ok, so the front bumper has the driving/combo. Then up on the cowl facing straight forward are the spots, and next to them are the wide cornering. The Rebel rack has 4 that are all floods. On the silver Jeep I had two off the sides, and the two off the back were inside the rack and in a cross pattern. The white jeep has two on the sides (same spot as the silver jeep), and the ones off the back got moved up onto my tent, because my spare tire would block it in the other location.

These are all Squadron Sports. And it gives me almost a full 360° of coverage.
This setup has been so perfect for me, that I did it twice lmao.

I also have the lights on separate switches with their respective pairs, except the rack has all 4 on one.

Hope this helps!

Jeep Gladiator Lights for ditch, sides, and rear (Baja Designs) DSC03731

Jeep Gladiator Lights for ditch, sides, and rear (Baja Designs) DSC03736

Jeep Gladiator Lights for ditch, sides, and rear (Baja Designs) DSC02860

Jeep Gladiator Lights for ditch, sides, and rear (Baja Designs) DSC02871 (1)

Jeep Gladiator Lights for ditch, sides, and rear (Baja Designs) DSC00235

Jeep Gladiator Lights for ditch, sides, and rear (Baja Designs) DSC00207

Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Alright, so I've got a few that kinda show how they are mounted. Unfortunately I didn't find any that show the light patterns except for the one where you can see the fogs hitting the ground, but I'd be willing to take a video for you if you want!

Ok, so the front bumper has the driving/combo. Then up on the cowl facing straight forward are the spots, and next to them are the wide cornering. The Rebel rack has 4 that are all floods. On the silver Jeep I had two off the sides, and the two off the back were inside the rack and in a cross pattern. The white jeep has two on the sides (same spot as the silver jeep), and the ones off the back got moved up onto my tent, because my spare tire would block it in the other location.

I also have the lights on separate switches with their respective pairs, except the rack has all 4 on one.

Hope this helps!

Nice coopers! I had those on my TJ and loved them! Yeah I have 4 XL80s up front. 2 wide cornering, and the other 2 I put clear 'spot' lenses on. Although they probably need the actual spot optics (cones) because they dont punch out super far. but it's a lot of great light!

How do you like the squadrons? Are they the standard or pro series? I'm curious how much light they put out since I dont need the massive XL series on the sides lol

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link

Hope this helps!

DSC03731.jpg

DSC03736.jpg

DSC02860.jpg

DSC02871 (1).jpg

DSC00235.jpg

DSC00207.jpg
Nice truck, sir. So do you keep those dents on the RTT for honorary trail badges, or hammer those out?:captain:

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Nice truck, sir. So do you keep those dents on the RTT for honorary trail badges, or hammer those out?:captain:
Lmao! I hammered out what I could enough to make it functional and seal properly again. The rest doesn't bother me haha

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Nice coopers! I had those on my TJ and loved them! Yeah I have 4 XL80s up front. 2 wide cornering, and the other 2 I put clear 'spot' lenses on. Although they probably need the actual spot optics (cones) because they dont punch out super far. but it's a lot of great light!

How do you like the squadrons? Are they the standard or pro series? I'm curious how much light they put out since I dont need the massive XL series on the sides lol
Thanks! I love the coopers so far!
Mine are the standard Squadron Sports, so its 3,150 lumens each. They put out an awesome amount of light, especially with the different patterns paired together :)