Sponsored

Line-x for exterior paint

Faz79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Does anyone have any experience with Line-X paint or a similar product for the gladiator?
Sponsored

murktJT

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Does anyone have any experience with Line-X paint or a similar product for the gladiator?
we've done a few raptors full body. I haven't personally used the dupont kevlar but from pictures I think the finish is more suited for my tastes. The linex is almost too textured / matte in my opinion

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I'd love to when I own my Jeep (not lease) but the thought of the price of doing so seems like it would be steep to get it done correctly. No way in hell am I doing that on my own.

murktJT

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I'd love to when I own my Jeep (not lease) but the thought of the price of doing so seems like it would be steep to get it done correctly. No way in hell am I doing that on my own.
yeah I would 100% never recommend someone do it themselves, thats signing up for constant issues. Most linex dealers have long or lifetime warranties so if the roof fades or anything starts to fail they will redo it. We just had the roof of a light grey raptor resprayed for free since it was fading a little. I also would never do straight black. Charcoal or color match

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah I would 100% never recommend someone do it themselves, thats signing up for constant issues. Most linex dealers have long or lifetime warranties so if the roof fades or anything starts to fail they will redo it. We just had the roof of a light grey raptor resprayed for free since it was fading a little. I also would never do straight black. Charcoal or color match
If you got your whole Raptor done, would you mind telling us how much it was and about how long ago? I spoke with a guy at the Chicago auto show a year ago and I think he said it was about $7k+ for a "proper" job including taking off the panels to do it.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Line-X isn't lightweight by any means and covering the body will probably be ~125-150lbs of weight (I was told the coverage in my bed was about 50lbs at the shop but you can probably go thinner on the body). Not an issue really for a trail rig but that's 10% or more of your rated payload if you drive daily.

The other issue is that it traps heat far worse than a steel or aluminum hood so if you plan to do your hood, I'd highly suggest adding louvers. Probably not an issue in a lot of places but I've seen more than one Line-X'd jeep have new overheating issues after getting it done in the southwest.

murktJT

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
If you got your whole Raptor done, would you mind telling us how much it was and about how long ago? I spoke with a guy at the Chicago auto show a year ago and I think he said it was about $7k+ for a "proper" job including taking off the panels to do it.
I should hace specified I do aftermarket builds for dealers, mainly a ford dealer, for them to sell on their lot. Thats probably pretty close if not a little less than what I would expect. I'll ask the Linex dealer we use here at the ford dealership what it would run for a consumer. Its a ton of prep work just like a paint job though so thats where a lot of the cost comes in

Cshadow2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting grey sport S JT
I have a friend who did a whole 4Runner in rhino lining. probably 15 years ago. It looked really cool for a while but now it seems like it’s wearing off in some spots and it’s peeling in others. That said it went from NC to Hawaii to NC to DC and back to NC in that time. I’d say for a bout 10 years it looked good. It’s wearing thin on the parts of the hood and roof that get the hottest and peeling around the edges. He still has it his teenaged daughter drives it daily still it looks really rough though

Xenephobe

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Personally I would never do it to mine. The stuff is a nightmare to clean, you have to basically scrub it with a brush and even then it's tough to get the dirty look cleaned off. The more it's exposed to the sun the quicker it fades, even the high end brands. It's probably not worth the cost in the end.

murktJT

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Personally I would never do it to mine. The stuff is a nightmare to clean, you have to basically scrub it with a brush and even then it's tough to get the dirty look cleaned off. The more it's exposed to the sun the quicker it fades, even the high end brands. It's probably not worth the cost in the end.
Linex just is not made for that application. The dupont kevlar paint intrigues me because it seems to have much less texture and is actually made for that application

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Line-X isn't lightweight by any means and covering the body will probably be ~125-150lbs of weight (I was told the coverage in my bed was about 50lbs at the shop but you can probably go thinner on the body). Not an issue really for a trail rig but that's 10% or more of your rated payload if you drive daily.

The other issue is that it traps heat far worse than a steel or aluminum hood so if you plan to do your hood, I'd highly suggest adding louvers. Probably not an issue in a lot of places but I've seen more than one Line-X'd jeep have new overheating issues after getting it done in the southwest.
Never really thought about how much weight it would add but honestly that's about the weight adding steel bumpers would be for me, not a huge deal (I say that now...) I would think. I would think about adding some sort of heat exhaust method as to not overheat, that's a great idea.

@murkjt Ya, that's what the guy at the auto show told me, lots of man hours that goes into getting it done properly.

@Cshadow2 Not sure how much I would mind the fade after YEARS of ownership and with it being fully treated I wouldn't mind if it were a bit dirty.

@Xenephobe Scrubbing it with a brush to get it mostly clean would be fine too since I wouldn't be worried about scratching any paint. I'd just think overall it would be less maintenance and hassle because I could do just about whatever I wanted in it and never worry about a scratch.

@murktJT I would do some research first before I ever got it to done to a vehicle. I'm not saying it has to be LineX, I just want something that is like the durable spray on liner coating to have a more worry free experience. I like the flat black textured look. I would also like to not leave behind several layers of skin if I accidentally brush against it, like what happens if I accidentally touch my current Jeep factory bed lining lol.

OP
OP

Faz79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
From my understanding the thickness for body panels is much less than that for the bedliner as such the weight should be much less per sq/ft. I have seem some images such as the one below
and IMHO they look amazing. Again not certain about the durability and maintenance of the paint job, but it does look menacing.

Jeep Gladiator Line-x for exterior paint linex

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
My local dealer is selling a "stealth coated" option as part of the Rocky Road package, looks very similar to line-x.

Jeep Gladiator Line-x for exterior paint 1587337483629

Rocky Ridge Gladiator C Package
Includes:
3.5" Lift Kit
All Terrain Tire Exchange Package
20" Wheel Exchange Package
Calibration to Factory Match Speedometer
Step Bars
4Rocky Ridge Silver Windshield Banner
Stealth Coated Exterior
Spray In Bedliner

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My local dealer is selling a "stealth coated" option as part of the Rocky Road package, looks very similar to line-x.

Jeep Gladiator Line-x for exterior paint 1587337483629

Rocky Ridge Gladiator C Package
Includes:
3.5" Lift Kit
All Terrain Tire Exchange Package
20" Wheel Exchange Package
Calibration to Factory Match Speedometer
Step Bars
4Rocky Ridge Silver Windshield Banner
Stealth Coated Exterior
Spray In Bedliner
LMAO, so looking at the site there is no price and it says contact dealer. On the window sticker in 1 of the pictures it clearly says the truck is $44k. There is an add-on sticker to the right of that for the dealer and guess how much this package above costs? $17k! The truck is now $61k. Those wheels look terrible BTW. And why did they respray the bedliner? It's an added cost on the original window sticker. Wow...

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
You would be cheaper and better off just getting it wrapped
Sponsored