Sponsored

Living with a Gladiator every day

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Let's talk every day stuff. I've owned a few SUVs in the past and years ago I had an F150. This is my first modern Jeep product ( I drove an old Grand Cherokee Chief in high school decades ago). Given the length of this thing, as an every day vehicle, have you guys given any thought to:

• Parking spots. Will it fit in a regular old spot in the lot or is it gonna stick out a few feet in the back?
  • U-Turns. I know nothing about the turning radius. What should I expect it to compare to? I hate making 3-point U-turns and the thought of it here in SoCal traffic gives me anxiety.
  • Child seats - With two kids I plan to have an infant seat and a booster in the back. The infant seats are huge and even in our Land Rover discovery I can't get comfortable in the driver seat if it's behind me. What are your thoughts on the depth of rear seats?
  • Premium soft top wind noise - I take a lot of phone calls when I drive. Does anyone have experience with the latest generation of Jeeps and their noise canceling tech inside? Is it going to sound like I'm in a storm or will it be tolerable for phone calls?
  • How's the cup holder situation? Are they nice and tight and grippy?

I know, I know, but all the waiting is killing me.
Sponsored

41Willys

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '16 Kia Sorrento, '07 Toyota Tundra
Let's talk every day stuff. I've owned a few SUVs in the past and years ago I had an F150. This is my first modern Jeep product ( I drove an old Grand Cherokee Chief in high school decades ago). Given the length of this thing, as an every day vehicle, have you guys given any thought to:

• Parking spots. Will it fit in a regular old spot in the lot or is it gonna stick out a few feet in the back?
  • U-Turns. I know nothing about the turning radius. What should I expect it to compare to? I hate making 3-point U-turns and the thought of it here in SoCal traffic gives me anxiety.
  • Child seats - With two kids I plan to have an infant seat and a booster in the back. The infant seats are huge and even in our Land Rover discovery I can't get comfortable in the driver seat if it's behind me. What are your thoughts on the depth of rear seats?
  • Premium soft top wind noise - I take a lot of phone calls when I drive. Does anyone have experience with the latest generation of Jeeps and their noise canceling tech inside? Is it going to sound like I'm in a storm or will it be tolerable for phone calls?

This is why you test drive. Order before you try = take your chances. And opinions on noise? Extremely subjective.

Just wait and drive one. Great questions.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
1) that will vary depending on the space. This isn't the first pick up truck ever. It is by no means the longest or widest. A lot of people down here have f150s, Raptors and crew cab long bed super duty trucks and they still park.
2) again similar to other trucks its size. Better than long vans and trucks worse than small SUVs. People get will manage.
3) should be better than every other midsized truck on the market. Looks to be about the same as my Grand Cherokee
4) &5) dont know. I haven't seenit in person

I'm getting a gladiator as it seems to be the best compromise for daily functionality (truck bed), off road performance (front & rear lockers, easily fit 37"s) and manueverabilty (much smaller than a Raptor or Power Wagon.

nerdridesbikes

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Colorado
  • Parking spots - Its shorter than my crew cab long bed Colorado by about 10in. I have to be selective with parallel parking and my hitch hangs over. Gladiator will be slightly better.
  • U-Turns - Long so its gonna suck. Hoping the wheels turn more than my current truck. Wife's GC has a lot more turn in the front wheels so I am hopeful.
  • Child seats - Mine barely just fits in the Colorado, and the gladiator seat is supposedly much bigger. The doors on my JK felt narrower so might be harder to get the kid into the back seat.
  • Premium soft top wind noise - I leave the hard top on, still noisy.
  • How's the cup holder situation? - can't wait to find out! I have a 32 oz yeti and it takes up a lot of cupholder space

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not big. It’s a midsize. We drove a Gladiator at EJS. I drive a two door JLR everyday. I didn’t notice a big difference sitting in the driver’s seat since I’m always looking out the front window and don’t cut corners. It’s not a bus and it’s shorter than a Taco and Colorado long bed...

Midsize trucks: Sizes
Model (4x4, crew cab, long bed) Wheelbase Length
Chevrolet Colorado 140.5 224.9
Ford Ranger 126.8 210.8
Jeep Gladiator 137.3 218
Toyota Tacoma 140.6 225.5

Sponsored

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Good feedback. Glad to hear the length is not as long as it looks. I’m more than excited about taking the doors off during the coming summer and heading down to the beach every day.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Good feedback. Glad to hear the length is not as long as it looks. I’m more than excited about taking the doors off during the coming summer and heading down to the beach every day.
You can join us for the ride here —>

propkillr

First Name
Howell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jk
What to do???
1) It’s a Gladiator! Park the Spaniard anywhere!
2) U-turns...ha! It has 4 wheel drive with fantastic suspension, drive it over the curb all day long!
3) child seats? Man you got a 4’x5’ bed, put those crib snatchers in the back and go!
4) sound? Why are you worried about sound? Pop in some C C R and get down!
5) cup holders? Cup holders? Let the lil woman ride with ya and Woopie dooo you got a cup holder!

Don’t show this to my wife or I’ll be washing her Camery for months!

Moonridge

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass
Vehicle Showcase

Parking spots: I drive a Ram 1500 now and when driving the Gladiator it felt very easy to whip into parking spots without backing up. I back up into every parking space in my 1500.

U turns: Not as good as a JL Wrangler, felt like I was turning my truck for a u turn, but it's very manageable. The back up camera in the JT let's you see everything, the ground, your back taillights, and a fisheye behind you. It makes backing up so easy.

Child seats: I plan on having children in the future, so I wanted to make sure child seats worked. I haven't seen child seats in it yet, but in the JL they fit great. You can fit two car seats and a booster in the middle in the JL. The best thing about the Gladiator is that it's so easy to get to the child latches, and the anchors are on the back wall of the cab, so that is a huge improvement to conventional latches.

Soft top noise: It is subjective, but I have sold Wranglers since the JK. The JK soft top was super loud. I always recommended the hardtop in those models. Then the JL came out, and the soft top was completely redesigned. I can get one up to completely down in 45 seconds. Road noise on the premium is just as good as the hardtop. The only drawback is when it's raining, it sounds like you are outside in the storm. I haven't been in a soft top JT, but it's going to be my choice when I order mine. So much easier to take off, and when it looks like it is going to rain, just put it back on. Reports say that the soft top in the smaller space is quieter, so I believe that is going to be the definitive option.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe

Parking - No issue very narrow
U-Turns - Has a longer wheelbase and turning radius will be truck/full size SUV like
Child Seats - They will fit - look at JL forums
Soft Top - There will be noise at highway speed. Less than a JL as the rear tires are further back. If you have MT tires over AT tires the noise will be louder.
Cup Holder - Okay, not as good as mini-van or luxury SUV, the rear cupholders change on trim level.

It's a more rugged vehicle suited to outdoor activities and adventures. It will not compete in comfort, ride, noise, and conveniences with the Tundra, F150, Silverado/Sierra, Passport, MDX, X3, or Land Rover Discovery even though it can cost more in higher trim levels. But it will put a great big smile on you and your kids faces as you explore new adventures.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LeadUtensil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RX350L
I passed on the gladiator due to the rear space. Will your two kids fit, yes. Will it be enough space to be comfortable? The answer for me is no. I also have two kids in car seats. Unfortunately, I had to pass on the gladiator. Ended up in a trail boss and have no regrets. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

8EBD0B02-57BA-4683-AB47-3948CF32B008.jpeg

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
Soft top noise: It is subjective, but I have sold Wranglers since the JK. The JK soft top was super loud. I always recommended the hardtop in those models. Then the JL came out, and the soft top was completely redesigned. I can get one up to completely down in 45 seconds. Road noise on the premium is just as good as the hardtop. The only drawback is when it's raining, it sounds like you are outside in the storm. I haven't been in a soft top JT, but it's going to be my choice when I order mine. So much easier to take off, and when it looks like it is going to rain, just put it back on. Reports say that the soft top in the smaller space is quieter, so I believe that is going to be the definitive option.
You seem to be confused...this is, maybe, the best thing about a soft top in the rain

Moonridge

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass
Vehicle Showcase
You seem to be confused...this is, maybe, the best thing about a soft top in the rain
I haven't owned a Wrangler/Gladiator yet maybe I am not used to it yet. Don't you get +2 points on the Jeep Wave scale if you have your top off in the rain?

Iron Wolfpack

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red Rubicon Gladiator LE, 06 Range Rover Sport, 92 E350 Tailgating Bus (Howlin' Prowler); past Jeeps - 87 YJ, 02 TJ
I haven't owned a Wrangler/Gladiator yet maybe I am not used to it yet. Don't you get +2 points on the Jeep Wave scale if you have your top off in the rain?
I got caught out in the rain topless in my old YJ a few times. I found that playing “Here Comes the Sun” would usually put an end to the rain showers. :rain::sun:

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I got caught out in the rain topless in my old YJ a few times. I found that playing “Here Comes the Sun” would usually put an end to the rain showers. :rain::sun:
The Piña Colada song does not have the same effect based on the number of times i had to towel off my JKU interior.

BTW - a beach towel or 2 is absolutely the #1 Jeep accessory for me, used it so very very often.
Sponsored