Sponsored

Location of Drive Train Control Module (DTCM)?

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
My SERV 4WD light came on. Dealer performed diagnostics and the DTCM needs to be replaced, but they didn't have it in stock. So, I need to go back to have it swapped out. The dealer told me that they had the rear seat out for diagnostics.

When I got home, I noticed that the trim on the RH side behind the rear seat was not clipped together properly. I also noticed that the bolts holding the 2 parts of the rear seat together were not tightened at all. And, a very small chip in the paint in the RH Rear door jamb area.

Soooo......

I know the DTCM is behind the rear seat somewhere. Does anyone know where exactly it is? I'm asking because I am going to remove the rear seat myself before bringing it in to have it replaced. I want to know if I only need to remove the RH side of the rear seat, and what trim needs to be removed.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jac04

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
OK, did some research and found more info.

The trim panel behind the rear seats has to come out to access the DTCM. Since it is one big piece, the entire rear seat needs to come out to remove the panel. Oh well.

And, lucky me, I found that the tech who did the diagnostics cracked the rear panel when removing it.

I just don't get how a "tech" can get so much wrong on a fairly simple job:
1) cracked panel
2) panels not clipped together properly
3) bolts holding seats together not tight
4) chipped paint in door jamb

Who knows what else I'm going to find when I take it apart.

I guess I could complain about it, but do I really want to let these guys do any more work than necessary.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
OK, did some research and found more info.

The trim panel behind the rear seats has to come out to access the DTCM. Since it is one big piece, the entire rear seat needs to come out to remove the panel. Oh well.

And, lucky me, I found that the tech who did the diagnostics cracked the rear panel when removing it.

I just don't get how a "tech" can get so much wrong on a fairly simple job:
1) cracked panel
2) panels not clipped together properly
3) bolts holding seats together not tight
4) chipped paint in door jamb

Who knows what else I'm going to find when I take it apart.

I guess I could complain about it, but do I really want to let these guys do any more work than necessary.
Leave it till they complete the replacement and have them provide new pcs and fix the paint. Once you touch it they will blame you.

jeep1

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2024 JLURX
That rear plastic panel is almost impossible to remove without cracking something. The upper clips are mounted on brittle plastic towers. I've pulled mine a couple times while messing around with powered locks and remote start. 5min epoxy is your friend...

Doesn't excuse the damage but it's really not surprising.
Sponsored