First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I posted earlier that I had been locked out with the key fob in the cup holder. I realize from the comments, that I must be wrong as that couldn't happen. Took the Jeep in to the dealer today for its second oil change and asked them to check the fob (with the window down). They have opened a Star case and will keep it overnight. Dealer is Don K in Whitefish, Mt and they offered a loner which we don't need. No run around from them at all. Great service. I'd suggest rolling down your window and hit the door lock button while leaving the fob on your seat. If yours stays locked like mine it may save a ruined trip for you someday.
Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Do you have proximity? If you do not, I highly doubt the Wrangler would know the key is in the vehicle.

OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Yes it has the proximity sensors

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Yes it has the proximity sensors
I'm guessing you have a hard top then. Another reason to get the soft top:like:

So, how are you locking the FIB in the Jeep? Don't you have to use it to lock it for the proximity sensor to work? I don't know. Honestly skiing because I have never had proximity locks.

OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I usually close the door and hit the button on the outside but the two times I locked myself out I had given the fob to my wife to unlock out mailbox and she put it in the cupholder without my noticing it. I just hit the lock button on the door on the way out. Kind of a sinking feeling when you realize the door is locked and you look in the window and see the fob sitting there smiling at you. Fortunately I had taped a spare key (thanks forum) under the hood. The horn just beeps until you hit unlock with the fob.

Sponsored

marek

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep Wrangler Moab 03 Mercedes SL 500
I usually close the door and hit the button on the outside but the two times I locked myself out I had given the fob to my wife to unlock out mailbox and she put it in the cupholder without my noticing it. I just hit the lock button on the door on the way out. Kind of a sinking feeling when you realize the door is locked and you look in the window and see the fob sitting there smiling at you. Fortunately I had taped a spare key (thanks forum) under the hood. The horn just beeps until you hit unlock with the fob.
You can also download a uconnect app and open it with your phone.

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've accidentally took both key fobs with me at times to work (don't ask me how). When this happens, I just leave the 2nd fob in my center console and lock my Jeep. I would much rather this than someone having the chance to hop in and take the Jeep for a spin. If I ever get locked out, I would just whip out my phone, open up the Uconnect app and unlock my Jeep.

and yes I have the proximity sensors.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
It was my understanding that, in spite of the two hood switches staring at you when you open the hood, neither switch on the 2018 JL is tied into the alarm system. So let me ask, when "The horn just beeps until you hit unlock with the fob," is that due to using a mechanical key to open the door with the alarm set (which can only be turned off with the fob), resulting in an alarm condition, or, does one of the hood switches on your JLU activate the alarm if the hood is opened? If the latter, I am sure I am not the only one who would like to know an easy way to "activate" one of the two hood switches as part of the alarm system.

I'm aware of the Tazer JL device which can in fact reprogram one of the hood switches to be alarm system active, but I suspect that Tazer is not for everyone. Are there other options?

Thanks!

MH

OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Mad Hatter,

You can open the hood without the alarm going off. Using the mechanical key to open the door activates the alarm until you hit unlock on the fob. I don't know what triggers the alarm. Unlocking the door does not activate it. Opening the door does. Maybe an easy way to add the hood to the system would be to add an additional switch tied to the door switch. The key only opens the drivers door, I don't know what would happen if you unlocked the door, reached thru an open window and opened a different door. ???? worth playing with since it would be nice to have the hood tied into the alarm.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Do you have proximity? If you do not, I highly doubt the Wrangler would know the key is in the vehicle.
I do not have proximity sensors (I do have power locks), and the Jeep always knows if I try to lock the key in. If I leave it in the cupholder and try to use the button on the door to lock it when I step out, the horns will sound and the door won't lock. Because every trim level has push button start, they all have a certain level of proximity for the FOB to the push button.

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I do not have proximity sensors (I do have power locks), and the Jeep always knows if I try to lock the key in. If I leave it in the cupholder and try to use the button on the door to lock it when I step out, the horns will sound and the door won't lock. Because every trim level has push button start, they all have a certain level of proximity for the FOB to the push button.
I have not tried locking my keys in the Wrangler, however over the weekend we went to NY, so my wife took the 2nd key fob which she had in her bag, at a rest stop we jumped out and I tried locking with the external door button on as usual and it would not lock, did not double press, but I pressed it a 3-4 of times and it would not lock, then I realized she left her bag in the Wrangler, and that must be the reason it would not lock, so I pressed the lock button on my fob and I am pretty sure it locked I was a few feet away when I did it, I really didn't care that much if it locked or if it did, since I was only going to be gone for a few minutes.

What I do regularly is press the inside door lock button when I am jumping out of the Wrangler, and it locks, while I'm partially out of the Wrangler.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
You have the proximity locks, but it can lock the keys in the vehicle? How does the proximity system work?

In my other vehicle the locks engage automatically after the keyfob moves away from the vehicle. You never need press the keyfob either when unlocking or locking. Unlocking all you do is touch the drivers (or passenger) handle. Locking (as I said) is automatic when it senses the keyfob has moved out of the vehicle by a few feet. The Jeep doesn't do this???

My Jeep does not have proximity locks. Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that was how all proximity lock systems worked...

OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Problem solved. It was a weak battery in the fob. They covered it under warranty but MSRP on that little jewel was over $50. Works like it should now. I'd still recommend everyone with the proximity lock check theirs by rolling down the window with the fob in the holder. lock the door with the button on the way out and see if it locks when you shut the door. It should beep 3 times and unlock. If it doesn't, the fob needs a new battery. I guess mine just failed early but I would expect this to be more common as the JLs get older.

Duffinator

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
okay, thank you. I'm not crazy. I took my mother out for a ride in my new jeep. I parked and got out of the jeep first. After I closed the door, I look into the console and saw the keys. and YES I have the proximity locks. I tried to open my driver side door and it was locked. I looked over at my mother getting out of the car and called over to her "DONT CLOSE THE DOOR!"

This is why I am looking for a place on my Jeep to stash a physical key. I know about the phone app. but if your phone is plugged in and is sitting in the console... what then?

OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Duffinator,

FWIW I used info from this forum to get a key for a Jeep Renegade. Think I got two from ebay for a couple of bucks. My local locksmith charged $15 to lazer cut it. I taped it to a hose under the hood. It honks the horn when you use the key to unlock it but only until you can hit the unlock on the fob. Maybe yours still works but you won't know until you roll down your window and lock it up. Your battery could be low too or it could be that you need to shut all the doors for your proximity sensor to work.
Sponsored