Sponsored

Locker options for Sport

Hypersaline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT sport
All I can find is an ARB kit. Fairly pricey. Would like an LSD type setup. What I want to do is run for miles in 2HI in fairly soft sand.

I run a Sport with 35’s on stock suspension.

Ideas, suggestions, etc... welcome.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Ryan...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
I'm sure you'll receive more knowledgeable comments from other posters, but here was what I was thinking of doing should I end up with a non-max tow Sport instead of a Rubicon like I'm planning on.

ARB in the rear (pricey), but then adding one of the many "lunchbox" style lockers to the front diff, so that it's not locked while driving around in 2wd, but gives the locking benefits while in 4wd. Tons of options that I'd imagine would fit the front axle on these, so in theory if you're OK with a little noise that comes with lunchbox style lockers I think you'd be able to save quite a bit of money by not going ARB front and rear.

OP
OP
Hypersaline

Hypersaline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT sport
Eaton, Yukon and Auburn all come up empty with regard to Dana 44, 32 spline.

Can the aftermarket really be this far behind?

Does anyone have any insight into the OEM unit?

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Eaton, Yukon and Auburn all come up empty with regard to Dana 44, 32 spline.

Can the aftermarket really be this far behind?

Does anyone have any insight into the OEM unit?
Patience or ARB! I wish there was something for the front in an LSD available....

Sponsored

TheNewWampsCat

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500
Well I’m definitely not the know all be all, but I’ll give you my thoughts.
ARB are excellent I’ve had them in the past. If you’re not planning to play in the mud and rocks an “e” locker will serve you well. And I’m sure the aftermarket will catch up soon!
Another thought is running in soft sand you’re going to be better off locking front and rear. If the rear only breaks free you’ll sink and have to be pulled out!
Again this is my humble opinion!

Ryan...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Aftermarket will definitely catch up, there's too many Gladiator Sport owners out there that want lockers but don't want to pay the $10k + premium for the Rubicon..

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
I plan on getting the Factory electric unit for the front and a limited slip in the rear. I think it absolutely needs LS in the back for daily driving, especially in the rain, since there is no weight over the tires.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I plan on getting the Factory electric unit for the front and a limited slip in the rear. I think it absolutely needs LS in the back for daily driving, especially in the rain, since there is no weight over the tires.
That's what the traction control is for (pulsing the rear brakes when one or both wheel slips).
Granted, it kicks in kind of late in the Gladiator, but I kind of like that. Most cars nowadays kick in too early and don't let the wheel get any momentum at all. Edit just noticed you are a BMW guy, you know what I am talking about. My F16 50i is way too agressive with traction control except in sport +.
Limited slips really aren't any better on road and almost worthless off road.
Off road I use the rear locker on my TJ 20 times before the front is needed (20:1 use ratio) because it's mostly for up steep hills where all the weight is on the back.

Sponsored

Ryan...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
How much does it cost for the dealer to add the Lockers?
Not Gladiator specific, but I recall reading forums for past model years and the consensus was that it was significantly cheaper to buy/install ARB in the front/rear than have dealers install OEM locker components.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Oh yeah, a dealership is going to want to replace the axles and then add the switch in the dash and program it all. That would get really expensive.

The aftermarket will eventually catch up. These axles have only been in the wild for 25 months. It takes time to do proper design and field testing.

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
I found a site that had the factory lockers for $800 each, the factory harness that goes in the diff housing is $60 and for argument, a gasket, shims and oil is another $40 per axle. Wire them up to my stock aux switches and I have the stock lockers that can be engaged at will for $1,800.

OP
OP
Hypersaline

Hypersaline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT sport
I found a site that had the factory lockers for $800 each, the factory harness that goes in the diff housing is $60 and for argument, a gasket, shims and oil is another $40 per axle. Wire them up to my stock aux switches and I have the stock lockers that can be engaged at will for $1,800.
Dude.... Link?

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
You have a link for that?
Sponsored