First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
I was always told running 2WD when you could be using 4WD puts a lot of unnecessary strain on the rear end. Don't know if there is any truth to it though. I'm sure someone a lot more mechanically inclined than I can chime in on that.
Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I was always told running 2WD when you could be using 4WD puts a lot of unnecessary strain on the rear end. Don't know if there is any truth to it though. I'm sure someone a lot more mechanically inclined than I can chime in on that.
I believe this would hold true if you’re needing to use momentum and speed to keep you going vs part time 4WD would just find grip and keep you going.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Well, not anymore you can't, Eaton made a locking TrueTrac for a period of time, it was the goodness of a Torsen style limited slip with a full locker at the flick of a switch. The regular ELocker took over that space in their product line.

And yeah, the Rubicon is an open diff with an electric locker, drive it 60 seconds on the street and you will know there is no limited slip capability (I miss that on pavement).

The rubicon rear is either an open differential or locked. You can’t have a locker and a LSD.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Unfortunately that's distinctly different from a real limited slip, clutch or geared, it reduces power to the low traction axle as opposed to sending power to the high traction axle. I love my TrueTrac in my YJ and miss it from my Ranger, but the Gladiator is still amazing.

Correct, BLD is what I’m thinking of. Jeep’s traction control and little to no risk of breaking an axle.

OP
OP

rnovia80

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 grand cherokee
Occupation
signs graphics vinyl lettering

Sponsored

Rvalas

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction Project Manager
I just tried locking the rear in 4 HI and it kept saying to put it in 4 Lo. Idk what I'm doing wrong. It's not working for me
There have been a few threads on this even a couple of youtube videos. The main thing is to make sure to disable the traction control a lot of people seem to forget that step or assume it's done. Press the button for 5-6 seconds and it will flash on the info screen. I watched a dealer rep demonstrate it on a mojave then my personal rubicon so I know it can be done.

4hi>offroad+>disable traction control>lock rear = win

*Edit*Also as I was just informed early MY21's still had MY20 drivetrain firmware that could do it too.

OP
OP

rnovia80

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 grand cherokee
Occupation
There have been a few threads on this even a couple of youtube videos. The main thing is to make sure to disable the traction control a lot of people seem to forget that step or assume it's done. Press the button for 5-6 seconds and it will flash on the info screen. I watched a dealer rep demonstrate it on a mojave then my personal rubicon so I know it can be done.

4hi>offroad+>disable traction control>lock rear = win

*Edit*Also as I was just informed early MY21's still had MY20 drivetrain firmware that could do it too.

I put it in 4hi then did the traction control held it for 5 seconds heard the beep then put on off road pages then tried the rear locker and it kept saying put it in 4 Lo

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I put it in 4hi then did the traction control held it for 5 seconds heard the beep then put on off road pages then tried the rear locker and it kept saying put it in 4 Lo
I think when you turn the off road pages on, it turns traction control back on, so you have to do it in a different order
1) 4hi
2) off-road plus
3) traction control off (make sure the dash says it's off)
4) lock diff

If that doesn't work, it may be that you have an early '21, and need a firmware update. This sequence works for me.
Edit: I see I said the same exact thing as @Rvalas. Sorry!

OP
OP

rnovia80

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 grand cherokee
Occupation

I just tried it in the order u said. And it worked perfect. Sweeeeeeeet
Sponsored