Long night, weird question....

SWFLGladiator

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I was laying awake last night about 1:45am and heard a noise. I believe it to be a car door. I didn’t think too much about it until I noticed what sounded like a vehicle idling out front. That sparked my interest. I went to the front windows and saw a Jeep (2 door) with lights off parked at the bottom of my driveway. I ran back to my bedroom for a quick second, and then turned the lights on to my driveway so I wasn’t heading out in the dark. Lights obviously spooked whoever was out front, and they hopped in the Jeep and sped down the road. I’d do a few things differently next time-truthfully I was surprised at the situation and didn’t put my best plan together.

My question (very long winded) is this: is there something that is commonly stolen from Jeeps that I need to be aware of....and possibly secure? I can’t see them taking my wheels and 37” tires to stuff in a 2 door Jeep, and unless they are a pit crew-the bumper takes time. My JT was locked and has a hard top-so I don’t see them stealing it. I’m THINKING they wanted to see if it was unlocked, or something in the bed-but I think I startled them before they could do too much. First time Jeep owner, and looking for input into anything I’m not aware of yet.
Thanks for reading!
Here is a video of my neighbors camera pointing at his driveway. It got the headlights coming on, and Jeep speeding away. It’s motion activated, so it didn’t get any action on my driveway
Sponsored

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
Maybe they were scouting it (seeing if you had wheel locks, etc) out for a future hit. Or maybe it was just totally coincidental they were in a jeep and they were just looking for open/unlocked cars to just look for loose items inside. We havea rash of this in my area now....sort of "soft criminals". They are looking for quick "grab n go" items in unlocked cars.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
They were probably going to try every door handle of every car on your street, and the Jeep they were in was probably stolen the same way. We see that a lot in the city adjacent to where I live. Nightly roving band of thieves. The courts won’t give them much time even when caught...

Sponsored

NYC-4X4

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JT Past: 97 ZJ, 14 JKU, 18 WK2
Maybe it was just a fellow Jeep enthusiast sleep-driving and his jeep brought him to yours for a sleepover. And then you woke him up and he was like “Ah shit, not again!”

OP
OP
SWFLGladiator

SWFLGladiator

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe they were scouting it (seeing if you had wheel locks, etc) out for a future hit. Or maybe it was just totally coincidental they were in a jeep and they were just looking for open/unlocked cars to just look for loose items inside. We havea rash of this in my area now....sort of "soft criminals". They are looking for quick "grab n go" items in unlocked cars.
They were probably going to try every door handle of every car on your street, and the Jeep they were in was probably stolen the same way. We see that a lot in the city adjacent to where I live. Nightly roving band of thieves. The courts won’t give them much time even when caught...

Best case scenario. I always lock the doors. Truthfully I’m just happy that they left without doing any damage. I see wheel locks in my future...😕

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Sounds like this would have been a perfect moment for a surprise paintball match.

Obviously you would supplement your actions with your favorite bump in the night handgun if they decided to up the ante.

Stay safe and have fun!!

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Sounds like this would have been a perfect moment for a surprise paintball match.

Obviously you would supplement your actions with your favorite bump in the night handgun if they decided to up the ante.

Stay safe and have fun!!
Please, no one do this. These thieves steal a lot of guns from vehicles doing this. It wouldn’t be worth getting shot over. Throw on a light, and call your local law enforcement agency.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Yeah...speeding away, I think they were up to no good.
If they are a fellow Jeep enthusiast, Shame on them!

I was thinking the same thing as the others, at least they used their turn signal!

Sponsored

OP
OP
SWFLGladiator

SWFLGladiator

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah...speeding away, I think they were up to no good.
If they are a fellow Jeep enthusiast, Shame on them!

I was thinking the same thing as the others, at least they used their turn signal!
I wasn’t really thinking they had good intentions. They were parked (vehicle still running) at the bottom of my driveway with the lights off. It was also 1:45am.

I was more wondering if the likelihood of my JT actually getting something removed. Do people actually jack up and remove larger tires? Seems like it would be a hassle. More leaning towards the thinking it was checking door handles or bed.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
It's easy to steal the spare too. We don't have locking spares like the GM trucks.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn’t really thinking they had good intentions. They were parked (vehicle still running) at the bottom of my driveway with the lights off. It was also 1:45am.

I was more wondering if the likelihood of my JT actually getting something removed. Do people actually jack up and remove larger tires? Seems like it would be a hassle. More leaning towards the thinking it was checking door handles or bed.
I had the same issue. Cameras and lights are only part of the answer. And yes, they will steal anything from the tire stem caps to the whole vehicle. I added an Atticus. As seen below (that's a 6 foot wall)
Jeep Gladiator Long night, weird question.... Atticus on wall
, an Atticus is not to be fooled with, and anyone who ventures to steal from me will get his attitude adjusted by..... Atticus

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'm hitting them with hot lead from the bedroom window. If you pull in my drive at night and are sitting idle, I'm grabbing my rifle and going to the bonus room and your losing two front tires. We will see how far you get on that. I hate thieves but they also deserve to be taught a lesson, I'm the law in my yard.