Sponsored

Longest road trip you've taken in your Gladiator?

ILikeYourHat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, Ram, Chevy
Occupation
Government drone
Just curious, what's the longest you've driven in one day and in one overall trip? Did you find the Gladitor fatiguing on a longer highway trip? I got my quotes on a Rubicon and a Mojave and am just wavering on the Gladiator vs a few other options I also liked for different reasons.
Sponsored

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
Just curious, what's the longest you've driven in one day and in one overall trip? Did you find the Gladitor fatiguing on a longer highway trip? I got my quotes on a Rubicon and a Mojave and am just wavering on the Gladiator vs a few other options I also liked for different reasons.
I’m sure others have done more, but 7hrs nonstop (except gas) PA to CT. No complaints at all.

Bob Alpaca

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Occupation
Retired
Last August/September we drove from Modesto, CA to Deadhorse Alaska. It was over 8,000 miles. The Gladiator never disappointed. This summer we are talking about making a run to the Artic Ocean in Tuktoyaktuk, Canada.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Sponsored

drewcnit

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S, Bright White
Occupation
IT Geek and Data Nerd
OKC to Nashville (think it was 9 or 10 hrs) in one stretch with a stop for gas/food. Ride was great, although I was still all stock at the time.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Most drive time in one day is ~8 hours. I’ve had several multi-hour days.

Fatigue wise…I think it all depends on you (I.e. intact hearing?), what you’re used to, and what your expectations are.

What are you currently driving? What are your expectations? I.e. A couple years ago, I did a 15hr drive in one day (VA to FL) in my ‘16 RAM 1500. I really don’t think that would be doable for me with my JTR.

I thoroughly enjoy my JTR, but at the end of the day, it drives like a Jeep. That’s why I bought it, but a LOT of the negative reviews that I’ve read seem to be written by folks that don’t “get it”:

- It’s got a solid front axle/decades old front end design. I think that’s awesome and it was part of the appeal to me, but it’s not going to ride like a cushy truck with independent front suspension.

-Whether hard top/freedom top or soft top, the interior noise volume is going to be higher than pretty much any other vehicle in the segment (captain obvious there).

Keep in mind that a lot of the JT owners here are Jeep people. I.e. If their previous vehicle was a ‘00 TJ/Wrangler, their JT seems downright civil in comparison.

You have to decide what you want in a vehicle though. My two cents…the JTR is awesome, but it’s absolutely not for everyone.

I will say that the deciding point for me was the interior. I originally wanted a Tacoma or 4Runner. Those just don’t work for me from an interior comfort standpoint. My JT interior fits like a glove.

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
I recently did 6 hours and it was great. Fuel economy got up to 21mpg just barely towards the end of the trip riding on 35" tires and factory sport gears. Can't ask for more than that.

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
Returning from Moab to my house in Northern California. Was approximately 14 hours, only stopping for gas.

Pretty comfortable. My butt really didn’t get sore. But I was towing my TJ so I was stopping for gas about every two hours, maybe 2 1/2 hours so I was getting a quick stretch in every time.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ILikeYourHat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, Ram, Chevy
Occupation
Government drone
Most drive time in one day is ~8 hours. I’ve had several multi-hour days.

Fatigue wise…I think it all depends on you (I.e. intact hearing?), what you’re used to, and what your expectations are.

What are you currently driving? What are your expectations? I.e. A couple years ago, I did a 15hr drive in one day (VA to FL) in my ‘16 RAM 1500. I really don’t think that would be doable for me with my JTR.

I thoroughly enjoy my JTR, but at the end of the day, it drives like a Jeep. That’s why I bought it, but a LOT of the negative reviews that I’ve read seem to be written by folks that don’t “get it”:

- It’s got a solid front axle/decades old front end design. I think that’s awesome and it was part of the appeal to me, but it’s not going to ride like a cushy truck with independent front suspension.

-Whether hard top/freedom top or soft top, the interior noise volume is going to be higher than pretty much any other vehicle in the segment (captain obvious there).

Keep in mind that a lot of the JT owners here are Jeep people. I.e. If their previous vehicle was a ‘00 TJ/Wrangler, their JT seems downright civil in comparison.

You have to decide what you want in a vehicle though. My two cents…the JTR is awesome, but it’s absolutely not for everyone.

I will say that the deciding point for me was the interior. I originally wanted a Tacoma or 4Runner. Those just don’t work for me from an interior comfort standpoint. My JT interior fits like a glove.
My current truck is also a Ram 1500. It's like driving a sofa down the road. I don't expect the Gladiator to match it. I've driven 3/4 ton trucks long distances before and a stiffer ride is ok with me, I just want the seat to not wear my butt out, and to not have to constantly fight the vehicle, so to speak. My wife has a little sport sedan, and it's got a nice ride the but seat is made of concrete blocks and hatred, so after about 4 hours I've got dead ass. I've owned Cherokees (the XJ version) and Grand Cherokees, but never a Wrangler or Gladiator.

Sadly one of the worst ways to kill enthusiasm for any new vehicle is to read forums about it and see the problems people are having out of the gate. All manufacturers put out lemons, and it's tough to get an idea of how wide spread issues actually are but the complaints about dead batteries with the dual set up and eating cams is also a bit of a negative.

Sponsored

lppd45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon M/T, 1966 Deville convertible, 2013 Jetta TDI M/T, 2003 Road King, and 2016 CVO Street Glide
Occupation
Retired
Just over 1300 miles from Central PA to Key West FL. We stopped only for gas and bathroom breaks. It took just over 22 hours. No real issues. Jeep drove just fine.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
My longest (so far) has been Spokane, WA to Cedar Hill, TX, a 1900-mile jaunt. Two days, with an extended nap in WY, in the Gladiator.
When I hit the road, it's not uncommon for me to do 900-1,000 miles in a day. I've very few complaints about the Gladiator's comfort/features: I'd like auto-dimming mirrors (which are available,) built-in wireless CarPlay (for increased reliability,) and vented/cooled seats. The seats themselves are very good, and the seating position is fine.

Kevin

MikeyK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
So far, in the first 3 months, central PA to Cape May, and we didn’t go down the turnpike. Took 322 from Palmyra (daughter’s boyfriend went with us), lots of red lights. I’d like to complain, but I can’t. Much better ride than my 2 door JK Rubicon. Clutch was nice and the longer wheelbase made for a much better ride than last year! 👍

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
My current truck is also a Ram 1500. It's like driving a sofa down the road. I don't expect the Gladiator to match it. I've driven 3/4 ton trucks long distances before and a stiffer ride is ok with me, I just want the seat to not wear my butt out, and to not have to constantly fight the vehicle, so to speak. My wife has a little sport sedan, and it's got a nice ride the but seat is made of concrete blocks and hatred, so after about 4 hours I've got dead ass. I've owned Cherokees (the XJ version) and Grand Cherokees, but never a Wrangler or Gladiator.

Sadly one of the worst ways to kill enthusiasm for any new vehicle is to read forums about it and see the problems people are having out of the gate. All manufacturers put out lemons, and it's tough to get an idea of how wide spread issues actually are but the complaints about dead batteries with the dual set up and eating cams is also a bit of a negative.
I think the seat is plenty comfy. We’ve also got a ‘19 Subaru Outback Limited (the wife took that off my hands) and I prefer the comfort of the seat and seating position in the JT, which is saying something, as I consider the Outback the best all around car that I’ve ever owned.

My JTR requires more steering input at highway speeds than my old Ram 1500 did. I’m guessing that’s at least partly due to the A/T tires though. If you really want good highway manners, the Overland might be a better idea (regular P series tires would cut down on road noise, too).
Sponsored