Sponsored

Looking at getting an impact wrench

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
Thinking about picking up an impact wrench for suspension work and tire removal. Don't really know much about them so I figured I'd rely on those more knowledgeable.

I just invested in a nice Dewalt cordless drill so I'd like to stay there so I don't have to buy different batteries. Unless of course I can get a steal on something else that will do the job.

What is the minimum torque and breakaway torque I need for lug nuts and suspension work??
Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I've been looking at them too, because the way they put lug nuts on these days, it's way easier to use an impact wrench than the tool they give you under your back seat. I'm getting the impression that I need to get something with at least 700 ft-lbs of torque, so that I never have an application that it's not powerful enough for. I'll also stick with the 1/2 inch connector, I think 3/8'' is just too small and you have a hard time finding one that has the foot-lbs torque that would be adequate.

Also....you would need to decide whether to buy one that is battery operated, or is used on your compressor. Typically, a compressor impact wrench needs at least 90 psi and higher to use them properly. If you're talking battery operated, then you need to probably standardize on whatever other power tool manufacturer you're already using, because it will require lithium-ion batteries that are as expensive or more so than the impact wrench itself. This is what I'm getting hung up on, I'm trying to decide which brand I want to standardize on.

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Bought an impact for suspension work a couple of months ago worked awesome dewalt cordless. However, personally I am not comfortable using an impact on lugs, cheater bar and loosen with tires on ground my .2 cents.

B384FF37-6EF7-4EBF-B26A-5D134CDEF229.jpeg

16D7A9FD-798B-4E15-B8E7-D82E516FC48C.jpeg

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Bought an impact for suspension work a couple of months ago worked awesome dewalt cordless. However, personally I am not comfortable using an impact on lugs, cheater bar and loosen with tires on ground my .2 cents.
X2. Have this as well and despite having a nice little compressor I've never felt the need to get an air version.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer Milwaukee. They have been around forever.
Jeep Gladiator Looking at getting an impact wrench Screenshot_20210605-104800
You betcha - a friend told me about his and showed me how he can strip down a car for restoration in no time at all - some bolts on the suspension and steering he just lets the thing bust 'em off instead of fighting it. I used mine when swapping springs and shocks on the JT - what a time saver! It took loose the tightest stuff under the truck with no hesitation.

Jeep Gladiator Looking at getting an impact wrench impact

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Yep, this is the way I went as well. Great tool to have.

EDIT: Except I use it to loosen the lugs too, just too dang convenient haha, but I understand.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Impact also chews up the finish on lug nuts. I hate it when dealers use an impact on lug nuts and it destroys the chrome - and the capped ones, I've got some where the cap is literally worn through from their stupid impacts.

Breaker bar to loosen with vehicle on the ground, then the new Milwaukee will remove them when the vehicle is raised with a smooth NON-IMPACT action.. That's what's nice about it - impact action only to break things loose then it goes more into electric screwdriver mode, smoothly backing things off.

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Impact also chews up the finish on lug nuts. I hate it when dealers use an impact on lug nuts and it destroys the chrome - and the capped ones, I've got some where the cap is literally worn through from their stupid impacts.

Breaker bar to loosen with vehicle on the ground, then the new Milwaukee will remove them when the vehicle is raised with a smooth NON-IMPACT action.. That's what's nice about it - impact action only to break things loose then it goes more into electric screwdriver mode, smoothly backing things off.
I have to check I think mine does the same dang I can’t remember now need to find a project hahaha

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
X2. Have this as well and despite having a nice little compressor I've never felt the need to get an air version.
Yeah I have a craftsman air impact ( set of air tools ) and I contemplated getting a compressor or a cordless this round, dang cordless tools now a days are impressive. Wouldn’t have considered it 15yrs ago.

Sponsored

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I have the dewalt 1/2. Bought the bare tool off of ebay. Easy to find a great deal on bare tools there.

That being said, I rarely use it. I usually break loose bolts with a breaker bar and then use an m12 1/2 cordless ratchet. Also a bare tool off of Ebay.

Cajun4X4

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
X-ray Tech
Check out Project Farm on YouTube, he did a comparison about 5 -6 months ago on cordless impacts.