Sponsored

Looking for Ideas on how to fit...Bikes, RTT, Kayaks.....

njjeepthing

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blinkerfluidproductions.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2018 JLU
Occupation
Event Planner
Looking for ideas, thoughts, racks, build threads, to help figure out how to carry the following in the bed of a JT, without using the hitch.

2 Bikes
2 Kayaks
1 Roof Top Tent
Water and Fuel storage
Traction board storage

Post your pics, yours thoughts, your recommendations, or your links.

TIA
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I mean it's doable but you are asking a lot from the limited real estate on the truck. A tall roof rack with the RTT on top, two bikes mounted or just placed in the bed with all the other storage, and the kayaks on top of the RTT is about the only way I see this working without being so wide you legally need marker lights and flags.

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
isnt there a jcr rack that lets you mount a bike (or two?) on the side of the rack and has a top rack for the rtt? kayaks in the bed. i might be wrong on the brand, usually i'm not right

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Looking for Ideas on how to fit...Bikes, RTT, Kayaks..... bikes

Just lucked out. Both my Ebikes fit perfect in bed. Was hoping to be able to fold in half and fit 2 under the Tonneau cover, but were about 2 inches too thick folded to close cover.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I mean it's doable but you are asking a lot from the limited real estate on the truck. A tall roof rack with the RTT on top, two bikes mounted or just placed in the bed with all the other storage, and the kayaks on top of the RTT is about the only way I see this working without being so wide you legally need marker lights and flags.
you could have the bed rack tent be flush with the roof, then put kayaks on the roof rack over the tent, bikes on a hitch mount, and gear under the bed rack

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
you could have the bed rack tent be flush with the roof, then put kayaks on the roof rack over the tent, bikes on a hitch mount, and gear under the bed rack
Careful with the roof rack crossbars, says right on the mopar bars product page not meant for use with kayaks/canoes. Unless you mean to somehow secure them to the bed rack on top of the RTT?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
In the recent edition or trek or trails or some multi subject mag about guns jeeps and similar there is a picture of a ford midsize with an Rtt 2 kayaks and 2 bikes ona hitch. I think it said hilcox or something similar I am thinking along the same lines.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Careful with the roof rack crossbars, says right on the mopar bars product page not meant for use with kayaks/canoes. Unless you mean to somehow secure them to the bed rack on top of the RTT?
I wasnt even thinking of the Mopar ones. More like something from JCR

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
They said no hitch so I was trying to work around that. With a hard shell RTT up top it's a viable strategy but otherwise you're basically lashing kayaks down against the tent without anything holding them laterally... that is unless they wanted to run about 4 straps per kayak.

IMO your strategy is likely the most practical... two kayaks above an RTT with clearance for bikes underneath is basically a very large sail in the wind.

Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
I think the roof in general just doesn't have the capacity to hold kayaks, regardless of the roof rack system. I know I see people do it on this forum, but agree with @LostWoods that they're a large sail that probably put way more load into the fiberglass roof shell gutter system than the engineers approve of. If you could combine mounting points on both the roof crossbars AND a rear bed rack to share the load and spread out your mounting footprint I think you'd be in much better shape.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They said no hitch so I was trying to work around that. With a hard shell RTT up top it's a viable strategy but otherwise you're basically lashing kayaks down against the tent without anything holding them laterally... that is unless they wanted to run about 4 straps per kayak.

IMO your strategy is likely the most practical... two kayaks above an RTT with clearance for bikes underneath is basically a very large sail in the wind.
I overlooked the no hitch part. Then the JCR bike mount would be the way to go but I would not want to have them there to obscure my side-view at all.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
So... I have been thinking about bed rack and dry trunk/bed storage for a 1800 mile round trip to the UP of Michigan from TN. I had a bunch of parts in my garage and after many changes, especially trying to figure out how to safely carry my ā€˜19 Specialized Stump Jumper with the tailgate closed, this is what I came up with.

I can carry all camping gear (including 10 person rapid deploy tent) fishing gear, dirt bike helmets and bike gear in Yakima Sky box. I have room for 2 kayaks or one canoe. Can fit 4 Bikes or more if I donā€™t have the top storage bins up by the cab. Inside trunk space I used storage bins and had two coolers, a spare for my jet ski trailer and room for food etc.

The bed cover is marine grade 3/4 plywood rolled with textured deck paint inside and outside. I used truck bed seal for the top. I added, for now a 4x4 center support. The Yakima space case I bought a couple of years ago for $100, the bike racks I accumulated over many years of cycling. The rack was given to me by my B-In-law from his Tacoma, the rack a cheap amazon $100 purchase. I cut it up to get it lower to roof line. I donā€™t like the look of racks sticking way above the cab of the truck.

I will add drawers soon instead of bins and have a spot for fridge in one of the drawers.

On the trip I towed my jet ski on a single trailer, loaded the bed, roof box with gear, 3 mountain bikes and lots of room in the cab for three people ( all the gear in the back!). I averaged about 17-18 on the trip in heavy winds and rain. The Gladiator handles as if nothing was there, really, the truck is amazing. I have owned a lot of trucks including 3 built diesel F-350 OBSā€™s. The Jeep is easier to drive and does everything I want it to do. I even took the doors and top off while in the UP on vacation! No other truck can do this!!

Jeep Gladiator Looking for Ideas on how to fit...Bikes, RTT, Kayaks..... 9474C25C-E642-44CA-96BD-17088D6990F1

Jeep Gladiator Looking for Ideas on how to fit...Bikes, RTT, Kayaks..... 9E721AE8-A243-4489-8369-A15CA416F2A9

Jeep Gladiator Looking for Ideas on how to fit...Bikes, RTT, Kayaks..... 291477E7-EDA0-4FC6-8B9C-9560B9E0AB9A

Jeep Gladiator Looking for Ideas on how to fit...Bikes, RTT, Kayaks..... 2486EC33-D75C-44C9-BF4D-2E8FE6477E36

KJ Jeeper

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Liberty
Occupation
Forestry
Got this bed extender on Amazon for under $125. I have a 12ā€™ kayak. I added the pool noodles to the metal to protect my boat.

0583551C-CD91-4F5F-AA30-5ACB1E535C75.jpeg
Sponsored