Sponsored

Looking for recommendations on road trip pit stops

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Hey all,

Will be making a trip around the southwest in early october, have a few ideas on places Id like to stop and check out, but looking for recommendations.

Ill be going across Nevada via the 80 into Salt Lake City, then south through Utah towards Flagstaff, then across southern Nevada back into California.

I know its like, cardinal sin to take your jeep to Utah and not visit Moab, but ill be passing through the western side from North to South and am looking at trails / cool places to visit in the area between Cedar City UT / Flagstaff AZ.

Also would appreciate any tips / knowledge / advice from the locals on whatever - road closures, weather, places to avoid, etc.

Primary focus of the trip is a dream of bagging my first Turkey, have been striking out on public land in California, got a draw for AZ that I am excited about, but wanted to make an adventure of it all and do some wheeling / exploring.

Thanks for your time!
Sponsored

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
If Jeep Badge of Honor trails are your thing there is one in Sedona, AZ.

DesertGladiator

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I grew up in Flagstaff, cool town. Going to start getting chilly by October, maybe some snow will fly. I'd recommend staying the night, some good breweries to be had. Wake up early and hit some trails in Sedona (only an hour south) or the volcanic cinder hill areas just east of town for some cool wheeling.

OP
OP
ShastaJT6

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Oh man I totally forgot I posted this. Thanks for the responses guys, I do appreciate it. Looks like well have some stormy weather rolling through that area just before the turkey opener, hoping itll flush out some birds and make some mud to wheel in!

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Check out Hwy 50 across NV. Head over to Great Basin National Park. I believe it's a dark sky area too. Adventure? Pony Express trail 4wd style. If you're up in the Bishop area check out Coyote Flats. Kavanaugh Ridge. 80 is so boring. There are hot springs to be had out in Elko and off 80.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShastaJT6

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Check out Hwy 50 across NV. Head over to Great Basin National Park. I believe it's a dark sky area too. Adventure? Pony Express trail 4wd style. If you're up in the Bishop area check out Coyote Flats. Kavanaugh Ridge. 80 is so boring. There are hot springs to be had out in Elko and off 80.

Youre not wrong about the 80. For this trip specifically, Im kinda just smashing through NV to get to Utah / AZ, thats where most of my trip is going to take place.

Definitely want to make some time to visit Great Basin, and really like the idea of taking the 50 instead. I plan on making multiple trips to Nevada next year, I want to do some wheeling and also hunt for Chukar / Coyote. Im going to plan one of my trips around the 50 / Great Basin idea, thank you!

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Youre not wrong about the 80. For this trip specifically, Im kinda just smashing through NV to get to Utah / AZ, thats where most of my trip is going to take place.

Definitely want to make some time to visit Great Basin, and really like the idea of taking the 50 instead. I plan on making multiple trips to Nevada next year, I want to do some wheeling and also hunt for Chukar / Coyote. Im going to plan one of my trips around the 50 / Great Basin idea, thank you!
Hit me up when you do next year. Would be kick ass to go exploring!

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Hit up Broken Arrow in Sedona. You won’t regret it. Cinder Hill right north of Flag is very cool as well. Betcha didn’t know we have volcanoes and lava flows here in The Great 48.

Schnebly Hill in Sedona is a BOH trail that has spectacular scenery .....rocky yet very easy trail.

pic 1 -Broken Arrow
pic 2 - Cinder Hill
pic 3 - Schnebly

enjoy!

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on road trip pit stops 31B7A2A9-B734-4FA0-8F30-7B11FCDAA702

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on road trip pit stops D3558637-1ADF-4084-A184-FFAC2B5A6302

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on road trip pit stops F9240655-EF06-4DA7-8128-ADE425D1E793

OP
OP
ShastaJT6

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Love the pictures and the recommendations, thank you! I may be going back out there in the spring for round 2, and ill have to add some of these to my list for sure.

Ill get some pictures from my trip up here soon.

Sponsored

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
My wife and I drove coast to coast in our '62 VW bus a while back. East and west legs were split by a year or two.

For the east coast leg (our honeymoon), we intentionally planned very loosely. People become ultra friendly when you're in a bus (lots of stories here). Nothing like anything I've experienced in any other vehicle, and I've had dozens. Mostly special interest. We "planned" our trip by asking the Chatty Kens and Cathys (the ones that seemed normal-ish) what they suggested we do. Can't say they were all winners, but most were, and we did and saw a number of things we wouldn't have otherwise, and was worth the effort.

OP
OP
ShastaJT6

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Finally figured out how to put some of these on here.

Zswickliffe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon
It's not off-roading specific but you have to give Bryce Canyon a shot.

I almost passed it up on my road trip from Denver -> Moab -> Zion -> Salt Lake and I'm so happy I didn't. As a bonus, they have a bunch of good fire roads with beautiful sights if you still want to hit some dirt.
Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on road trip pit stops DSC06118.JPG

OP
OP
ShastaJT6

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
My wife and I drove coast to coast in our '62 VW bus a while back. East and west legs were split by a year or two.

For the east coast leg (our honeymoon), we intentionally planned very loosely. People become ultra friendly when you're in a bus (lots of stories here). Nothing like anything I've experienced in any other vehicle, and I've had dozens. Mostly special interest. We "planned" our trip by asking the Chatty Kens and Cathys (the ones that seemed normal-ish) what they suggested we do. Can't say they were all winners, but most were, and we did and saw a number of things we wouldn't have otherwise, and was worth the effort.
Thats so rad! I did something similar with a few friends on the Harleys, once upon a time. I love the idea of doing it in a VW. I love going on a trip, but when there is too much structure, too much of a timeline, too much of a plan, it loses a lot of the sense of "Freedom" you get from the trip. Sometimes, just wandering is best.