Looking for recommendations on rock sliders

Griff21

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR LE, 1978 CJ5, 2020 JLU Rubicon
Prior to doing the Rubicon Trail, I'm looking for Rock sliders that do a few things,:
1. Give my Gladiator good clearance.
2. Hide the pinch seam
3. Can be used as a step for my shorter passengers.

I'm currently on a 3.5" Gamechanger lift with 37" KO2s. I have the Ace Engineering Rock Rails in combination with the Rubicon Rails, however for more technical stuff, I'm not a fan of them taking away ground clearance. (Great otherwise).

Looking at Metalcloak, and two different Motobilt options.

Anybody with photos of their rails would be greatly appreciated, especially in regards to hiding the pinch seam.

Thank you.

71C284B1-.jpg
Sponsored

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
Had pretty much the same needs/wants as you. After I removed the factory rock rails, I had the Overland steps (best steps and kept the sides clean, but bottoms would "catch" on brush), and I had the Mopar Performance Rock Rails (nice but too narrow and high to be used as steps for my needs).

I considered the RSE sliders, but just couldn't justify the cost. Everyone who has those seem to be very happy with them.

I finally settled on the LOD Destroyer Rocksliders I have now. I think they do a decent job hiding the body seam and follow the body curves. The steps are grippy and just low enough. Finish seems to be good. It's only been about 8 months, but no signs of rust so far. The shape of the bottom seems nice, as it promotes "sliding." I think the pictures below were before I installed the Mopar lift and before the 35" KO2s.

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders 20230525_073935

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders 20230525_073857

Here it is with the Mopar 2" lift and 35" KO2s.
Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders 20230712_153106

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Here is a link to my thread on pretty much the 2 top dogs in this sector: Rock Hard and White Knuckle.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/rock-hard-vs-white-knuckle-sliders.69299/

Personally I went white knuckle, they sit above the stock lowest point, mount to frame and you can keep your factory rubicon rail for extra protection. They are also a nice step and the back looks like an extra step but will actually push your rear wheel away from any obstacle it is stuck on to give you a better shot to climb over it or even use it as a pivot. I’ll link the video that convinced me to go with these below, albeit it is from a guy on the Xterra forums I used to be on before I got my JT.

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders IMG_0177

Video of WK slider used as a pivot:

Last edited:

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
I personally think the set up you have now is fantastic. I would stay with the ace rails.

BigBry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave
Anything you put on that will serve as a functional step will sacrifice clearance period and that’s right where the Gladiator’s long wheel base needs it most. Tried the Mopar Performance Rails and step was to high to be functional. Didn’t feel comfortable with a pinch seam mount. I tried one of the often mentioned step sliders and they worked marginally as a step (still too high) and the loss of clearance was visually noticeable. Didn’t even need a tape to verify. I just knew I wouldn’t be able to straddle obstacles as well losing that much clearance at the sides. Spent the money on RSEs and have a functional step and retained my clearance. What I lost is less side protection as the rails do not extend to the outer edge of the fenders where others such as the Fishbone do. You won’t get everything you want so pick the best compromise. . If you go with RSEs and plan to crawl or do the Rubi, I’d consider getting their rail armor too. Seen vids of people thrashing on them without the armor with no damage but why take the chance on something that pricey.

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Just using the MOPAR performance rails here. Little wider than the stock rubicon rails. I have been very happy with them so far. Simple, cheap, they do offer a 'step' but kinda not really. I mostly got them to keep down on mud and muck on the side of the doors but have seen plenty of videos of people bashing on them decently hard with no problems.

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders IMG_3216.JPG

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Good Idea. We did the Rubicon a few years ago with our Gladiator Rubicon. We have the Rock Slide Engineering steps with armor and those worked well. Some points:

1. Get some sliders that stick out past the body. The stock Rubicon sliders do not stick out, and big boulders can slide past them and hit the painted body.
2. Get very sturdy ones that connect to the frame bolts. Your truck will be completely high centered and resting on them on mulitple occasions. Make sure there is no possibility of the sliders bending up and hitting the body. This is very important.
3. Get heavy duty steel ones.
4. Get flat black or Satin black that is easy to match the paint. When you get back, you can clean with alchohol, and then rattle can spray them using a cardboard flap to contain the spray.

We have done many rock trails with mine, and I spray my sliders and rims with AEV Touch Up Paint - 12oz Black Textured. It matches great with the Method flat black rims and the Rock Slide Engineering steps. I am on my second can... lol..

Have a great time at the Rubicon. It is an epic trip !!!

Here are some pics of the Rubicon... You might want to get skids also, mine go pretty scraped up there.

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders 7lJyg1

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders SQu6xb

after touch up point, but, you can still see all the scrapes, slides...
Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders lBD0vb

Here is what the sliders look like when loaded up with armor

mNrBrg.jpg

u7vSFr.jpg

Last edited:

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If you are going to use the sliders for their intended purpose, you don't want ANYTHING that attaches to the pinch seam and ultimately to the body connections.
A hard hit to the sliders can cause severe body damage in those areas.

You want something that attaches only to the frame.

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I'm rocking a set of Rock Hard 4x4 sliders, angled down. They've been great, probably one of my favorite upgrades. They stick out far enough that they protect the body pretty well, and when combined with some 3M grit tape, have been an excellent step.

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders 20221014_113657

Tim. Y.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys Diesel

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
As a owner of Rockhard rails on my Wrangler they would be my first choice brand. BTW rock rails can be solid being attached to pinch seams but I'm not sure of any current in production.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I went with the White Knuckles. They mount to the frame. Beefy as hell. Think they will outlast the JT. I've dropped 3ft on to them on the trail. To help my wife in. I made a pair of steps that I can remove with 3 bolts.

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders 1707796109350

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders 1707796153344

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders 1707796215749

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders 1707796244704

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders 1707796267422

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders 1707796288700

Jeep Gladiator Looking for recommendations on rock sliders 1707796362744

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I like the Rock Hard with abrasive coated tape on the tube to use as a step. I don't prefer the frame mounting because of leverage on the thin frame steel--it gets its strength from its shape not from material thickness. Just be careful when removing the body mount bolts. I suggest replacing them with new grade 12.9 Allens and greasing them so you don't have problems re-installing bolts from the factory loctite.