Gtb

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler Hardrock
C35BCEB6-AD16-43F0-BE79-47E1924DEF94.jpeg
Does anyone know if personalized plates from California can be transferred to another person?
Looks like I won’t be getting a Gladiator anytime soon and the “Jeep JT” license plates on my wrangler looks pretty stupid.
Sponsored

Riddler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Toyota 4Runner, 1976 Ford Bronco
That’s such a good plate! I’m so tempted....

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Ditto... but my M/T Red Rubicon JT is still a twinkle in FCA's eye.

OP
OP
Gtb

Gtb

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler Hardrock
I’m just not sure if you can transfer the plates to someone else???

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Altitude
Look on CA's DOT website, should be info on there if you can transfer it. If not then you'd have to get a new vanity plate and that one would be available for someone else after it gets back in the system.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
If you were in Delaware, you could sell it for whatever market value would bring plus the normal transfer and yearly registration costs. A few years back, a local guy Craigslist-ed his "JEEP" custom Delaware plate and got $4K for it.

OP
OP
Gtb

Gtb

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler Hardrock
If you were in Delaware, you could sell it for whatever market value would bring plus the normal transfer and yearly registration costs. A few years back, a local guy Craigslist-ed his "JEEP" custom Delaware plate and got $4K for it.
This plate would definitely be the final touch on a well built JT. That was my plan anyway.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
This plate would definitely be the final touch on a well built JT. That was my plan anyway.
No doubt. I think most states though, once registration of the plate expires or turned in, they get recycled for the next first come first serve.

In Delaware it is a weird situation. Us being a small state, passenger vehicle plates go fro "1" to "999999". Lower number plates and certain popular vanity plates are traded on a open market. State still owns the plate legally, but the current registered owners of a given plate can keep it for basically perpetuity. Lower the number plate, the more perceived status and social clout you have. It is a sign of old money also, especially for anything under 3 digits.

Only single digit I seen on a vehicle in Delaware was "7" and it was on the back of a high end Maserati.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/25/641835446/delaware-license-plate-sells-for-410-000

OP
OP
Gtb

Gtb

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler Hardrock
No doubt. I think most states though, once registration of the plate expires or turned in, they get recycled for the next first come first serve.

In Delaware it is a weird situation. Us being a small state, passenger vehicle plates go fro "1" to "999999". Lower number plates and certain popular vanity plates are traded on a open market. State still owns the plate legally, but the current registered owners of a given plate can keep it for basically perpetuity. Lower the number plate, the more perceived status and social clout you have. It is a sign of old money also, especially for anything under 3 digits.

Only single digit I seen on a vehicle in Delaware was "7" and it was on the back of a high end Maserati.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/25/641835446/delaware-license-plate-sells-for-410-000
Thanks for the info. Very interesting. I did not know that was a thing.

XTRMSKI

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Awesome plate! Looks like you can transfer to a new owner with "REG 17" on the CA DMV website.

OP
OP
Gtb

Gtb

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler Hardrock
Awesome plate! Looks like you can transfer to a new owner with "REG 17" on the CA DMV website.
That’s were my research brought me too. Thanks for confirming.
Sponsored