Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2021 Sport S Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Elevator Technician/ Electrician
Hey So I'm currently looking into buying a Jeep 2021 gladiator Willys edition and had some questions that hopefully someone can help. So I have been off-roading once and was hooked instantly and I have been wanting a jeep for years to come. So my main question is that will the Willys be a great starter as I'm not looking to do any major mods besides tires for the first two years or so. And I see that it comes with shocks and tires ready for off road with a 1" lift ready off the lot. Mainly going to stick to easy intermediate trails for the first couple of years until I get the hang of the cars tire placements on certain obstacles.

Or does the disconnect sway bar and rear lock axels really make a difference in the rubicon. (im not sure if a disconnect sway bar can be added to willys later and rear axel locks) which is main concern if it can't be added in the future onto the willys edition.

Thank you too those who can help.
Sponsored

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If you have the means, stretch your dollar for the trail rated gear. The lockers and sway bar disconnect can get you in and out of some amazing spots with stock height and tires.

the second thing I’d say is to invest in yourself first. What i mean is get out there and get some experience. Forget the full send/hold my beer stuff. Just find some time to practice, learn from other jeepers, and you’ll be amazed at what you can make a low or no mod jeep do.

Last, dont go in expecting “just to hit small stuff.” This hobby is addictive as any other and so once you get bit, it stays with you. Keep your goals in mind and build for the long haul. Have a plan.

good luck.

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
A stock Sport is going to handle what most trails throw at you. These are very capable vehicles. Usually the limiting factor is behind the wheel. That said, yeah -the sway bar and upgrades of the Rubicon are going to make quite a difference in the truck’s capabilities. I have a buddy with a stock Sport Wrangler that has taken it up things I had to see to believe. I have little interest in pushing such limits and risking vehicle damage, but I get it. For me the Willys was a sweet spot in price and off-road performance, but my needs are driving trails for pleasure and to hunt and fish. If money were not a factor, I would have 100% gone Rubicon.

Bantam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Electronic sway bars are convenient, lockers will get you out of a bind (you can disconnect manually, quick disconnects are recommended if you skip a Rubi).
I haven’t wheeled my JT like I’d like to have, but my previous Jeeps were both base models with small lift and 33” tires. If you’re sticking to lighter trails, you’ll be fine with a Willys.

Kind of where I’m at with my current and any of my previous Jeeps, I’ll wheel and upgrade as I deem necessary. Invest in some recovery gear as using and knowing how to use it is valuable in any of your future vehicles.

Also, don’t get too caught up on only looking for a Willys. Keep an eye on Rubicons and Mojaves and you might be surprised to find one not much more than a Willys, especially if you’re open to travel a bit. There’s a thread here for a dealership that does 7% under invoice. Might luck out there. There’s also a thread that asks how much you’ve put into your Jeep upgrades, some of them put in half of my JTs purchase price. Different strokes for different folks.

Good luck and have fun. 🤙🏼

OP
OP
RicoRudy

RicoRudy

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2021 Sport S Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Elevator Technician/ Electrician
If you have the means, stretch your dollar for the trail rated gear. The lockers and sway bar disconnect can get you in and out of some amazing spots with stock height and tires.

the second thing I’d say is to invest in yourself first. What i mean is get out there and get some experience. Forget the full send/hold my beer stuff. Just find some time to practice, learn from other jeepers, and you’ll be amazed at what you can make a low or no mod jeep do.

Last, dont go in expecting “just to hit small stuff.” This hobby is addictive as any other and so once you get bit, it stays with you. Keep your goals in mind and build for the long haul. Have a plan.

good luck.
I would like to go out there and experience first hand I just don't know anybody with off road cars and also don't know communities to meet people I have barley found these forms yesterday and already can't stop reading. so it is kind of hard. I'm more jumping right into the water and getting my feet wet first hand as I want to start a new hobby myself.

Appreciate the advice thats why I'm asking questions I've heard once you're hooked that your jeep becomes a very expensive hobby Haha so i forsure need to plan out.

Sponsored

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Truly ask yourself what you want to be doing down the road a piece when you have more experience./seat time. As in any Motorsport, you can easily duplicate effort by starting with “A” and wishing you had gone to “B”.

if you are like most, you WILL want to do more. Guaranteed.

Good luck with whatever path you chose. You will have a blast.

Firestarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
Also, don’t get too caught up on only looking for a Willys. Keep an eye on Rubicons and Mojaves and you might be surprised to find one not much more than a Willys, especially if you’re open to travel a bit. There’s a thread here for a dealership that does 7% under invoice. Might luck out there. There’s also a thread that asks how much you’ve put into your Jeep upgrades, some of them put in half of my JTs purchase price. Different strokes for different folks.

Good luck and have fun. 🤙🏼
Exactly, a sport s max tow is starting at $40k at dealers near me with no upgrades at all. I got my Rubicon for just a little more than what I'd have paid for an equivalent Sport S Max Tow. There are a lot of Rubicons, or were, sitting on dealer lots with some priced quite aggressively. I was looking at getting the Max Tow Sport S thinking I could add my own tires and lockers later as I pleased, and then realized quickly that the price difference would cover just tires.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
I purchased a 1 yo used JT Rubicon with dealership installed 35's BFG KO2,s , Black Rhino wheels, leveling kit, 3 setting steering damper, hard tonneau, Lin-X'd Steel bumper and upgraded rock rails and other upgrades like the still protection and Jeep Weather Teck like floor mats. Not a scratch or scuff, topside or underside. Who ever was the previously owner, they buy a different new vehicle yearly. They bought a Volvo SUV. Carfax report states it was traded in year to day of purchase.

Exactly 10,000 miles. I purchased for less than the price of any brand new JT of any trim level in my area at the time. Low 40's K. I feel I hit the jackpot. I have had it now going on 7 months. Always getting looks and compliments.

Top down, doors off... I don't see me on the MC too often this year.

Ordered the ClearLidz, single piece Freedom type panel. Can't wait for that to come in. I have done some interior upgrades from Quadratek like for storage, hand holds, dead pedals and such. Will get a winch at some point. Really for pulling others out of a ditch or something. I am way to anal to hit a trail that would need it. I may get in over my head unintentionally, not purposely.

But for a less than $45 K invested, I am thrilled and feel I got lucky on this one.

Shop around and don't forget to look at quality used. You too may hit a jackpot.

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
This is just my opinion, but I started with a Sport, then traded for a Rubicon.

Should have kept the sport and modified it. I am sure my Rubi will have better resale but for my use, towing and trail riding, I don't like the Rubi's 4Lo (you have to be in 4Lo to engage the lockers and sway bar disconnect), you are geared very LO. Great for crawling but not needed for what I do. I would probably be happier with a rear locker I could engage in 4Hi and manual sway bar disconnects. (kind of a cheap mojave). I also don't really need the lower gear ratio of the rubi for what I tow (light teardrop).

Of course going from the white to the blue was worth all the extra $$ :)

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I don't like the Rubi's 4Lo (you have to be in 4Lo to engage the lockers and sway bar disconnect), you are geared very LO. Great for crawling but not needed for what I do. I would probably be happier with a rear locker I could engage in 4Hi and manual sway bar disconnects. (kind of a cheap mojave). I also don't really need the lower gear ratio of the rubi for what I tow (light teardrop).
Not to threadjack too much here, but can't you use a Tazer to engage the Rubicon rear locker in 4Hi? - and is there a fundamental difference between the Mojave and Rubicon's rear-end locker hardware? Jeep's literature on it that I've seen is surprisingly vague, something like "a locker that can be engaged at higher speeds." Feels like they would brag more if it was significantly different 🤷‍♂️

@RicoRudy - get what you can afford. If it's a Rubicon go for it. And remember that custom orders are a lot cheaper than getting something off the lot. Like you could have a Sport S today or custom order a Rubicon from the right dealer, wait a few weeks, and then still have the same out-the-door price.

Sponsored

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
In the JK world you could get a rear locker (not just the limited slip) on the Willys , is it the same with the JL / Jt ?

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
In the JK world you could get a rear locker (not just the limited slip) on the Willys , is it the same with the JL / Jt ?
I did not know this. It's certainly not an option on the JT.

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape, 2008 VW GTI
My advice? Get out of your head and into the field!

Drive something in the extreme conditions you want to drive in, anything. I guarantee you that you'll find anything that if it's even slightly geared for off-road will be more than capable at those "easy" trails you're talking about.

Don't be an aspirational Jeep buyer. Those of us who spend the most money for the least amount of functionality. If you're going to be on the Long Island Expressway every day of your life and take the car off-road once just to say you've done it, all you've done is waste $20,000-$40,000 of your money over the life of the car.

The front locker you're getting over other trucks, for instance, doesn't mean anything at 10mph going over a toll bridge. Your 37" tires are destroying your gas mileage. Same with your exposed wheel wells.

I am going to vehemently wave my arms here to say find out what you really want instead of buying for a hobby you're not even really into yet.
Sponsored