Sponsored

Loose Steering/bump steer...... check your balls

Insert_Clever_Name_Here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2016 Jeep JKU, 2020 JT Rubicon
He guys and gals. I just wanted to share a little experience I’ve had with my JT. I never had any issues with my steering except for the dealer having the tires overfilled when I first purchased it (44+ PSI I believe). So, upon installing my Evo lift I decided to do the full Steer Smarts tie rod/flipped drag link/steering stabilizer and Synergy Front Track bar brace. The results were AMAZING! I could not believe how well this truck drove and tracked with 38x13.5 tires. I felt really good about my purchases and the direction I went in.

Somewhere between 500-800 miles post lift (3500 total on the jeep) my front end began to feel a bit sloppy/loose and I experienced some bump steer. I brought it back to have it aligned after making sure everything was bolted down as I originally planned. I was shocked to get back my results that I now had negative camber on my passenger side front wheel. I knew there was no way my axle had been bent as I had only done local street miles after the lift. I figured I probably had a ball joint going out on the passenger side. I did the ball joint test and didn’t see any movement. I happened to find this video:
and realized I was experiencing the same thing. I had a shop pull apart my front end when installing my truss and sure enough my lower ball joint was loose and could be easily moved by hand. I had them install the upgraded Dana Spicer HD JT ball joints and all I can say is my steering is even better than before. These HD ball joints really tightened up my steering.

Looking back, I am fairly certain of when I damaged that ball joint. I hit a strip of road maybe 200-300 feet long that was very uneven due to construction at 45-50 mph. So if you are having these issues and can't nail down the cause. Make sure you look into your ball joints even if it passes the initial ball joint test.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
I got some info directly from Dave Schlossberg and synergy that they are coming out with super ball joints for our truck.

20200617_094945.jpg

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
@Insert_Clever_Name_Here what lift kit from evo did you install? my JT has some pretty random bump steer issues going on and I'm using Synergy's 3.5in lift front springs + Fox DSC's. For the track bar I used rustys off road, which I thought might be the problem since the angles are not 100% parallel between the track bar and drag link. However, when reinstalling the OEM track bar the issue still exists. Checked ball joints, dampener (though I know it's not rooted in that), and will be taking it in for alignment next thursday (maybe toe adjustment is the root cause here?...)
Sponsored