Loose steering-dealers response

Usmc1stin

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
So, I just picked up my 2020 overland. I finally took it on the highway and... wow... steering is horrendous. So much free play, wandering, and pulling to the right a bit.

Before you old school guys say,”it’s a Jeep, it’s meant to be like that.” Consider this

Hard no. Not on a stock 2020, 54k Jeep with electric (or electric assisted hydro?) steering.

I’ve owned 6 jeeps from tj’s to jk’s, some with 40’s and no upgraded steering, to stock. The steering is worse than my TJ in aggressive 40’s.

I brought it to the dealer and they quickly agreed. It’s not safe. I look like a drunk driver. It’s not just on highway, it’s on backroads just as much.

So, the dealer agreed 100% and was back to me in 30 min. They said they need to put in a special ticket to Chrysler and gave me a rental for free. The foreman as the dealer Agreed 100% as he is a big Jeep guy.

I let them know it likely is an electric steering flash, as I’ve heard it resolved the issues. They said they know of it but can’t just flash it, needs to be brought to a higher level so it can be tracked and investigated. This may end up being another drive-shaft level factory defect.

So, it was good to be instantly validated by the dealer. It’s being investigated. Hopefully it won’t take long. I’ll let you all know ASAP. I don’t want to lemon this awesome truck, but lemon law, and myself, take steering issues VERY seriously.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Usmc1stin

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
I could have sworn I read that it was under investigation from a 3rd party or similar.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a29144073/nhtsa-jeep-wrangler-steering-shimmy-complaints/
That seems similar, but not quite the dead play in the steering many gladiator owners are experiencing. Mine is a 2020 and falls outside the scope of this particular article. I’m really hoping this is a simple fix. I do not want to lemon a new car, but I can’t justify unsafe steering on a brand new 54k stock truck.

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
That seems similar, but not quite the dead play in the steering many gladiator owners are experiencing. Mine is a 2020 and falls outside the scope of this particular article. I’m really hoping this is a simple fix. I do not want to lemon a new car, but I can’t justify unsafe steering on a brand new 54k stock truck.
dont blame you.

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
You, like myself and several others are having similar problems. Check out the various posts on the subject. There is even a poll on the General Discussion page. For a real eye opener go over to the JL site and see 2 years of complaints on the same steering system. Good luck, and let us know what happens. Also go to the NHTSA site and create a complaint. This helps push them to force a recall on Jeep.

Sponsored

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
I let them know it likely is an electric steering flash, as I’ve heard it resolved the issues. They said they know of it but can’t just flash it, needs to be brought to a higher level so it can be tracked and investigated. This may end up being another drive-shaft level factory defect.

So, it was good to be instantly validated by the dealer. It’s being investigated. Hopefully it won’t take long. I’ll let you all know ASAP. I don’t want to lemon this awesome truck, but lemon law, and myself, take steering issues VERY seriously.
Any update on this? Mine is going in next week.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
So, I just picked up my 2020 overland. I finally took it on the highway and... wow... steering is horrendous. So much free play, wandering, and pulling to the right a bit.

Before you old school guys say,”it’s a Jeep, it’s meant to be like that.” Consider this

Hard no. Not on a stock 2020, 54k Jeep with electric (or electric assisted hydro?) steering.

I’ve owned 6 jeeps from tj’s to jk’s, some with 40’s and no upgraded steering, to stock. The steering is worse than my TJ in aggressive 40’s.

I brought it to the dealer and they quickly agreed. It’s not safe. I look like a drunk driver. It’s not just on highway, it’s on backroads just as much.

So, the dealer agreed 100% and was back to me in 30 min. They said they need to put in a special ticket to Chrysler and gave me a rental for free. The foreman as the dealer Agreed 100% as he is a big Jeep guy.

Took mine to dealer for same and they stated the same exact thing to me. Insane that they can't just flash it to amuse you considering you spent 60,000 on a vehicle ( and at the dealer I went to, mine is selling for 70,000-I didn't buy it there though). Ive been in jeeps my whole life. Raised in a tj, and other jeeps, bought a jk, and a JL, now a gladiator. I also bought a dodge eco diesel that there was problems with. Getting very fed up with FCA and their lack of attention to detail in letting these over priced vehicles leave the lots without being perfect. In the last 5 yrs, I have spent over 150,000 with just FCA. I might not be a big fish in their eyes, but if enough "small fish" (which carry their company btw) get fed up, they might find themselves hurting. They should come to the realization, that hard working middle class Americans, are going out of their way to stay loyal to the FCA company and product, and they should be nothing but loyal to their customers. This is very typical in the US now days; spending absorbent amounts of money for a product that does not meet the standards you were sold on, and then having to fight tooth and nail to get exactly what you paid for, all the while FCA flies the American flags outside every single dealership, touting American muscle, American values, in their commercials, but not upholding to the standards they were built on in 1941.

Spyder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2020 JT Granite Chrystal Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I found this today

Not sure why FCA cant do something like this under warranty. I'm going to my dealer and find out though.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Question for those with the steering issue. How long did it take for you to notice the issue???

I am about to leave to test drive some JTs and was wondering if the sloppy steering would show up on the test drive.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am about to leave to test drive some JTs and was wondering if the sloppy steering would show up on the test drive.
Make sure you get it on a straight road and a highway for sure. I notice it the MOST at 45-55 MPH. From what I've read that's not always the case. Do by all means take it for a long test drive. If they won't let you, don't buy it. Also early on even at slow speeds, while driving straight, move the wheel side to side an inch either way...if the vehicle still goes straight, chances are it has the issue. You'll know.

Sponsored

Punkin Luvin

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punkin Gladiator S, 2019 Bikini Rubi JL, 1969 Bronco, 1965 Vert Chevelle, 1968 Nova, 1964 Vert Falcon, 1971 Bronco, 1976 FJ40
I noticed mine on the drive home after the deal was done. It sucked for 800 miles but it didn't worry me as I've dealt with steering issues before.
I'd get it to freeway speeds of 60 plus, that's when mine would get real interesting. Wife's JL drives like a sports car, 90 easy with perfect response, mine when off lot.... Scary AF!

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The OP hasn't responded with his service visit results, how did yours turn out?
Not good. Admitted there was problem to me verbally but they have no fix available from FCA at this time. However...do know.."officially" they have it stated that the Jeep has "no problem" and "drives like a similar model". However will let me know if a fix or TSB comes out regarding the steering.

So @JeepCares closed my case without my approval...so...really a bunch of corporate BS to look good on paper.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still hoping for someone close to Central Iowa to come up with this issue - not that I want anyone at all to have the problem, but as a person who has made a living (and won awards) as a troubleshooter, I'd love to get directly involved. Like I said - if there's someone around my area with this - let me know. You drive mine, I'll drive yours, we'll compare, we'll check it over stem to stern. (we'll see how many need to look that up LOL)

For those who say "it's a Jeep thing, get over it" or "that's the nature of a solid axle" - I would refer them to Eagle owners who have put Jeep axles under their cars so they could go crawling through the rocks and ravines, or to the Rambler with a SOLID AXLE front suspension that goes over 100 mph STRAIGHT as an arrow down the quarter mile track. OR to my neighbor who takes his 49 Ford to the salt flats each year - DRIVING it there. I saw the car as I gave him the front spindles and 10" drum brakes off my 73 Javelin as he wanted to drop his front end a bit and put heavier brakes on it. Solid front axle, king pin design, AMC spindles and brakes. Steering is fine. Granted that's a different front axle but still...... it's solid, not SLA suspension.
IF the trackbar and associated parts and bushings don't flex or move more than they should then steering should respond like any other vehicle. As long as there isn't axle shift side to side then steering linkage should turn or pivot the wheels or steering knuckles on the king pin or steering axis. In other words if the axle doesn't shift in response to steering forces, then it would be the wheels that turn - unless there's a problem.
So either the whole axle is moving or there's play somewhere. It should be that simple. Also the fact that some do it, most do not, should also tell the service people - there's an issue. Otherwise they'd ALL do it. Rare would be the JT what had good steering if the loose steering was in any way normal or a Jeep thing. These people need to start using logic.

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still hoping for someone close to Central Iowa to come up with this issue - not that I want anyone at all to have the problem, but as a person who has made a living (and won awards) as a troubleshooter, I'd love to get directly involved. Like I said - if there's someone around my area with this - let me know. You drive mine, I'll drive yours, we'll compare, we'll check it over stem to stern. (we'll see how many need to look that up LOL)

For those who say "it's a Jeep thing, get over it" or "that's the nature of a solid axle" - I would refer them to Eagle owners who have put Jeep axles under their cars so they could go crawling through the rocks and ravines, or to the Rambler with a SOLID AXLE front suspension that goes over 100 mph STRAIGHT as an arrow down the quarter mile track. OR to my neighbor who takes his 49 Ford to the salt flats each year - DRIVING it there. I saw the car as I gave him the front spindles and 10" drum brakes off my 73 Javelin as he wanted to drop his front end a bit and put heavier brakes on it. Solid front axle, king pin design, AMC spindles and brakes. Steering is fine. Granted that's a different front axle but still...... it's solid, not SLA suspension.
IF the trackbar and associated parts and bushings don't flex or move more than they should then steering should respond like any other vehicle. As long as there isn't axle shift side to side then steering linkage should turn or pivot the wheels or steering knuckles on the king pin or steering axis. In other words if the axle doesn't shift in response to steering forces, then it would be the wheels that turn - unless there's a problem.
So either the whole axle is moving or there's play somewhere. It should be that simple. Also the fact that some do it, most do not, should also tell the service people - there's an issue. Otherwise they'd ALL do it. Rare would be the JT what had good steering if the loose steering was in any way normal or a Jeep thing. These people need to start using logic.
Latest complaint on NHTSA site has this part in it: "THE ONE I TEST DROVE WHILE MINE WAS ON THE ALIGNMENT RACK WAS COMPLETELY NORMAL AND SAFE TO DRIVE." To me the best evidence are the people who do get to drive both...a normal one and a not so normal one.

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Latest complaint on NHTSA site has this part in it: "THE ONE I TEST DROVE WHILE MINE WAS ON THE ALIGNMENT RACK WAS COMPLETELY NORMAL AND SAFE TO DRIVE." To me the best evidence are the people who do get to drive both...a normal one and a not so normal one.
That was me. 100% truth
Sponsored