Sponsored

Lost Bluetooth, Navigation, Wi-Fi

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I had a bizarre issue last night that apparently led to the Jeep checking in with The Mothership overnight. When I tried to make a phone call, I got a peristent message on the screen that it was "Initializing Voice Recognition." I had just made a call an hour earlier and had received several text messages through the center 8.4" display in the interim. When I pressed the phone icon, it said "Initializing Bluetooth." Nothing ever initialized. My tablet and phone both said "incorrect password" when trying to connect to the Wi-Fi Hotspot. Navigation refused to navigate.

While messing around with the screen, I inadvertently hit the SOS button. It gave no option to cancel, as it should. I drove the 26 miles home with a bright red bar across the top of the screen reading "Making Emergency Call." The overhead console also indicated it was making an SOS call. It apparently was lying. When I parked and turned off the vehicle, the screen stayed on. I pulled the negative cable from the battery. Screen stayed on. I pulled the positive cable. Screen stayed on...I'm sure because of the auxiliary ESS battery that is buried under the main battery. So I consulted the manual and ended up removing and re-inserting the F97 fuse. Voila...the screen went out.

When I re-started the vehicle, I had phone and Wi-Fi Hotspot connectivity again...along with Navigation. But I had no SiriusXM, forward or reverse camera, off-road pages, or upgraded climate controls and the apps screen was blank. I re-started the Jeep several times over the next hour. No change. I read in other threads that those things might magically re-appear. When I went out this morning, all was back to normal. So there apparently is a Mothership hovering over our Gladiators.

It is a bit disconcerting that you can't re-boot the vehicle by easily removing a battery cable. One morning in the backcountry in my '13 JK, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree (all warning lights on) and the windshield wipers would not turn off. I pulled the negative cable from the battery, waited a minute, and re-installed it. All was back to normal and it never happened again. I guess we can't do that with our new-fangled, dual-battery Gladiators. There is a cryptic label attached to the battery cable. It has something to do with the dual batteries. Has anyone been able to de-code that label?
Sponsored

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess we can't do that with our new-fangled, dual-battery Gladiators. There is a cryptic label attached to the battery cable. It has something to do with the dual batteries. Has anyone been able to de-code that label?
Procedure is listed somewhere..but in a nutshell you take off the wires attached the negative termnial on the main battery. Then remove the main battery negative. The other negative wires that are attached come from the second battery. So by disconnecting them you disconnect it. If you ONLY remove the negative terminal from the main battery, the negative from the second battery is still attached. Hope that all made sense...